Ford field turf

Why? Grand River is right there.

Haha! I see what you did there! I think they could do it with grow lights, man. Pain in the ass to move 'em out before games, but they have the technology.

Maybe a light rack that raises up on pulleys that has stadium lights on it and timers switch stadium lighting to grow lights?
Maybe grow lights are for humans and you leave 'em on right while the humans are in teh stadium and it puts everyone in a good mood?

I dunno? Vitamin D in Ford field and give 'em health benefits for fans in winter time that helps people’s moods and health? GREAT marketing? Wishful thinking?

I dunno. Wish I wuz smarter. Some of you guys may know more aobut it than me.

1 Like

Ford Field barely fits where it sits today. Where are you going to put the grass to wheel into the stadium?

And for comparison here is Arizona and Las Vegas:

3 Likes

From Bioadvaned on the task of growing grass inside:

From The New York Times article on growing grass in a dome for the World Cup from the MSU Agroculture dept:

Spend the money. Install grow lights. Get the Poa Supina. Install a sprinkler system of some type. You have a very light dome which allows light in and a big ass window so sunshine is not non-existent.

There’s the grass part. I leave it up to the engineering experts to figure out how to safely and sturdily cover it for concerts similar to whatever they do now.

2 Likes

See Cynodon’s post. Doesn’t have to be next to the stadium.

1 Like

I already suggested putting it on Gratiot and sending it over via UBER each Sunday.

Isn’t it
This specific turf
Not even all the artificial options that’s being discussed ?

Most turf teams choose either UBU Sports Speed Series S5-M or Hellas Matrix Turf.

The Lions are the only team in the league that uses - take the name however you’d like - FieldTurf Classic HD.

1 Like

This is the issue 100%. The cuts and sudden change of direction is causing knee and ankle issues. For a player like Swift, this is a major issue.

2 Likes

One of the worst surfaces in the nfl we play on twice in the next month. @Giants and @Jets

Even their star players hate it.

2 Likes

They say at the end “the drastic cost to replace it” like it’s a multi billion dollar project.

I’m sure it’s not cheap but I’m sure it’s well within the individual owners and nfl as a league’s budget to be able to take care of it.

Also too, depending how you want to slice it, is it worth the investment of let’s just say $100 million vs consistently losing your investment in players that cost anywhere from $1-20 mil a year over multiple years

1 Like

If any team owner, man in charge of team finances, or anyone in the upper hierarchy of the NFL tried to tell me, “We just don’t have the money.”, I would inform them that’s the most laughable thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life.

4 Likes

Take it out of Roger’s cut !

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easier to rip the roof off that pig? Think open air for the first time since '74 would certainly be different.

2 Likes

Please break down the costs for changing out the field in Detroit. Give us actual dollars.

It was last replaced in 2019 with anticipation of replacing again in 2022-2024. Cost was about $750K to replace it last year . . . so about half the cost of the money that Wood stole from CJ.

No chance to go to grass, the Lions don’t have the footprint to do what the Cardinals are doing as evident by your earlier pictures.

I don’t know why all the bitching right now, nothing can be done until after the season anyways.

I was specifically talking about the change out to grass when I asked for some numbers to review. Some people are talking like they have those numbers somewhere. Specifically as it relates to retrofitting an existing stadium. Arizona and Las Vegas did some cool shit. But they did it with a new build scenario. Which also brings up another interesting point. Here is a link to stadium financing in recent years. The Lions received a little over $100M in public funding and that was 25% of the cost to build the stadium. The Cardinals received over $340M and it was 76% of the cost of the stadium. The Raiders received an astounding $750M in public funding, which appears to be the most public funds ever used to build an NFL stadium.

2 Likes

This is what they use at Northern Iowa at the UNI Dome. It is removable for track events and our injuries aren’t unusually high at all.

1 Like

This turf talk is EVERYWHERE!

Just driving back from the grocery store here in Charlotte, NC. Listening to the sports radio show (92.7 FM) and they’re talking about the turf at Bank of America Stadium

Radio - “Hey…the Turf professor at C.P.C.C. just emailed in and said he is available for an interview. We need to get this guy on the line to answer some questions.”

That’s my old turf professor! I’m listening now to see if they interview him. Not sure if it’s gonna happen.

3 Likes

You could see if they want to interview me . . . I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :smirk: :smirk_cat:

6 Likes