Ford field turf

To me
The talent is talking about it

And you are also presenting cost as a hurdle
Without saying how much it costs or how lions could cover costs

They could add $5a ticket and put it on fans

But one thing is

It’s also a discussion about these 6 fields with slit turf not all turf fields if I’m not mistaken so the cost may be not that it has to be in grass now
But could be a different turf choice

I guess ford field will never host socccer ?

Again, you have to know that they’re looking at the data. Even the NFLPA agrees that more study needs to be done. If you’re trading 2 high ankle sprains for 1 broken ankle, is it worth the change? That’s an easy one to answer. If you’re trading 2 ACL for 1 Achilles, that’s a little different.

If we’re being objective, and knowing that cost isn’t really a barrier, then you make the choice based on the data presented and the feedback from the athletes that have used the surfaces.

If the data says slit-film is worse, then they’ll all move away. Karens and SJWs don’t count as data, though.

1 Like

What does this even mean ? Seriously … we’re talking about it as it’s in the news. I push back against cost since the nfl isn’t strapped. If they have the will , they have the way - and it’s still being lost in sauce that there appears to be other indoor non slit turf that isn’t being singled out

Getting back to SJW or Karen’s - who is that ? Are they the 49ers players who went on record saying they love York for the field ie how he’s taking care of his talent

So say what we want

The lions become one of 6 teams being singled out and then lions fans will wonder why it costs so much to sign flowers
Or why Robinson signed with a worse Rams team over lions

When talent has some freedom and choices rather then being beholden to the luck of the draw where a draft determines where they play
And contract situation can keep them there -

Rod Wood should be making a statement on it soon since … it’s topical and lions are one of 6

When playing on an artificial surface, why doesn’t the NFL just restrict the length and stiffness of the player’s cleats? Make the shoes not as grippy. Cripe, they have more rules and regulations than the tax code. What harm is one more?

1 Like

Clearly you have some numbers on what it would cost to retrofit an existing stadium with real grass. You have even gone to the point of saying what it would take to pay for it. So…just show me the information that you have that you are not sharing. It will help me understand.

1 Like

lol clearly you misunderstand
As I’ve never claimed as much only replied to those who suggest
Cost is prohibitive while ignoring stadiums have gone with other options , they’ve absorbed costs to make it happen for a soccer match
They’ve brought in dirt for truck shows

So I’ve seen you to say it costs too much
Not providing cost either

Yet in the discussion
I haven’t boxed myself in to a position because

We may actually see the lions change it

Who knows how they’ll handle it

But from a fan perspective
Why we’d argue for anything but the safest best field to give the lions the best chance to stay healthy vs sprain or break plus make team even more attractive to talent to help us win

Is a weird place to argue from

For me
I want lions to treat fans and talent
First class all the way
And be beloved by all.

Is that their rep ?

It means the outrage-du-jour can’t be the determining factor. The data has to be.
The Lions will play on turf for the foreseeable future, as well many other indoor teams AND outdoor teams at the highschool, collegiate and professional level. The 6 teams that were singled out can easily replace their fields this off-season. That’s not an issue. The issue is WHAT ARE YOU PUTTING IN AND IS IT BETTER? Prove it and it will be done.

1 Like

with the technology they have, they can take a look at the field on thee least injured team in the league and create something like it for Ford Field !

Because slipping will be another issue. The fake grass is like being on a wet field, IMO.

I was wondering about all the other fields without the nfl resources that are using the split turf and those lesser resourced athletes playing on them for free or for an education or enrichment and how many fields that is … and if less safe than the sales pitch , would maker be liable for improvements ?

But this was about these 6 fields and the nfls ability or desire to change them

To me , unless it is a huge expense or just about impossible to pull off

As an owner it might be a great gesture of buy in to grind it out culture that cares about the talent
To take on the cost

And have employees believe you love them

I don’t know actual cost so that would be a consideration but each team pitches $2m for Roger’s salary and it’s worth it

Although I have no idea how Roger could make that kind of money without the nfl /

What are you replacing it with?

Lesser resourced athletes? Stay on topic.

You’ve accepted that split-film turf is bad. What are you replacing it with?
http://www.hellasconstruction.com/Products/Turf/

https://tarkettsports.com/ (maker of the turf that’s in the headlines)
How clear is it that this is a less safe product? If the data is clear, do you really think the 6 stadiums won’t switch to another provider this off-season? You’re focused on $$$ as though a million bucks matters to an NFL team.

An entire field as a large ball pit. Imagine the possibilities.

Big Brother Fun GIF by Big Brother Australia

3 Likes

A wise man once said . . .

1 Like

I’m not an expert in the field.
These are my opinions and I agree a million isn’t a prohibitive cost to an nfl team

Imo Theres a lot of ways a return on the investment could pay dividends down the road. Would I think Wood will take a nuanced approach to the issue even if data is disputed and not a fact
At the cost of a million
I’m
Not sure
It depends on how rest of budget stacks up

If your team leaders and best players believed it to be a bad playing surface , no matter the data

How would you handle your talent ?

@DeadStroke
I didn’t research the topic @Mr.Peabody
I’m here for a casual discussion , this isn’t an argument for me to be proven right or wrong. Some of this has my personal bias around nfl owners and maybe even the lions specific to other owners

Where things line up like this

And some see it as coincidence and others see it as a pattern or a sign of the lions Way
Be it cheap or incompetent or a on a budget or first class all the way …

If it were me and my players came and said the turf sucks and potentially puts us at a disadvantage but it would cost me $1m to change … I’d do it. Talent costs a lot more and I want them at my best

And uniquelyish to ford family is ,… it’s not like they’re living check to check off the lions

I know you want to keep making this about the money and make the Lions out to be cheap, most likely due to the other thread you were heavily invested in, but ignoring the data related to player-impact isn’t something I would consider.

1 Like

Y’all are hilarious
I’ll remember when we have new conversations y’all carry baggage.

I specially said I didn’t think it was Cost prohibiting but not because they’re cheap but because on the operating budget , the million isn’t hugely significant. I was agreeing with you but not to make a point lions are cheap
On this one
I think the data probably wasn’t there on injuries when they put the field in if the data is still questionable now.

It’s just a conversation. I’m not heavily invested.
I don’t really care that much but find it interesting players are making a point of it.

I haven’t done a ton of research.

But I doubt any of you really have either

For example
Y’all completely ignore that it doesn’t appear to be all fields
Just these 6

And since the issue will play out

There’s no ego in me to be right.

When I built teams I valued my people. I made management moves that were optical to show my team I cared about things that were important to them. I felt that helped make them more productive and this was a good investment for me in my business.

Do lions players feel that serious about the field ? I dunno

As Sheila has $40-60m on the IR
Is she happy with the field ? I dunno.

What do you think ?

See how this works ? Just a conversation.

More food for thought on why I’m talking about it is it’s in the news. It’s topical

A notable player speaking on it
And an interpretation that suggests some owners treat expenses differently than others or are at least perceived to do it differently.

On top of the stadium, put a big grass field up there with an elevator system like a aircraft carrier has.
If you can launch a plane off an aircraft carrier with a steam catapult system this should be easy peasy.

1 Like

Seems like a good way to get Megatron back in the building. I hear he’s big into grow lights

4 Likes

hey make the field out of Twinkies they are soft cushiony and never rot lol

2 Likes

This is a great idea. What happens when the players start eating the field though? Are you really going to trust the State Puft Marshmallow Man?

1 Like