Former Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker is officially in a bad situation - A to Z Sports

https://atozsports.com/nashville/former-tennessee-vols-hendon-hooker-is-officially-detroit-lions/

My first thought was - He’s 26 already???

3 Likes

Hence why the pick never made sense. Hes gonna be 30 when hes a FA. And with the goff extension hell be a permanent clipboard holder

2 Likes

It’s cool and all that he’s down in Florida as Bridgewater’s guest learning how to read and react to NFL defenses. But the real bonus is learning about all the benefits from becoming an AARP member.

2 Likes

Which could be amazing! If he likes it here & is a great backup for 8 years…knows the playbook, culture fit, etc…presents a different set of problems that the defense hasn’t planned for, if needed in game, etc

13 Likes

The pick makes a lot of sense to me. Back up QBs make a good chunk of money. You want to be a contender, you can’t just have a warm body there who’s going to be an automatic L if Goff needs to miss some games. Hooker gives them a super cheap option at QB who will also add stability, and clearly will be familiar with the system if/when he needs to play. Burning a 1st on this? No. A mid round pick? It makes sense in terms of roster building.

25 Likes

It made sense for the Lions.

The pick didn’t maximize the opportunity to start for Hooker. But if anyone thought he would be starting early and efficiently, he would have been taken before #67OA–after the Lions traded down twice.

14 Likes

Let him sit and learn and in 2 more seasons trade him for a late 1st or 2nd to a desperate team and draft another backup.

6 Likes

If he never plays more than a couple full game you arnt getting anything more than a 4t for hooker in his last year

2 Likes

Going into the 4th year and looking where this franchise has gotten to I have no doubt Brad Freaking Holmes knew what he was doing when he drafted Hooker.

10 Likes

He will get a chance one way or another.

Either goff will get hurt (hope not)

Or

Lions will have clinched a top seed and goff will
Sit final week of one of these next couple seasons and hooker will start week 18.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to see what he can do on the preseason. If he has a really good preseason some team will want him next year for sure .

6 Likes

I mean… if Hooker was ready to start he wouldn’t have been a 3rd round pick. Was this written by his mom?

12 Likes

He was drafted to be a backup QB.

It was well known we wanted to upgrade the backup QB spot heavily last year.

Teddy for a year to mentor Hooker

It made sense to me.

12 Likes

Yes. Having a backup that some people think has the talent to start seems like an optimal backup qb situation, no? It’s not like we took him at the bottom of the first!

8 Likes

It’s probably one of the smartest picks I’ve seen the lions make . Every team is in the QB business!! Some people thought he would be a first even with the injury!! Bottom line great pick !!

8 Likes

I for one do not understand the issue with his age. Yes he is older, thank you covid year, but to me that just means that he will be entering his prime when it is time to make a decision on resigning him.

Also as others have mentioned it isn’t like he is a waste of a pick, the Lions needed to address the QB room behind Goeff and they did with a player that should have been a 1st round pick if not for his injury. I see it much like Love in GB, let him ride the bench and get use the speed of the NFL. Then if he is ready that gives the Lions options while dealing with JG.

12 Likes

There’s no issue for the team with his age if they’re only thinking of him as a backup QB, which I believe to be the case.

There is an issue for fans who dream that Hooker is the “quarterback of the future”, because he isn’t meaningfully younger than Goff but has zero experience.

The point of the article is that there’s an issue for Hooker himself because of his age. He’s unlikely to earn much playing time behind Goff, so he’s going to have a hard time getting a big contract when his rookie deal expires at age 30 with likely little pro game film.

5 Likes

Agree. Investing a 3rd Rd pick in a potentially competent backup makes all the sense in the world. Not worried too much about his age. If Hooker’s not playing much, it’s because Goff is healthy and, correlatively, Hooker’s not experiencing a lot of wear and tear.

Plus, down the road, if Hooker shows some promise, maybe he becomes a trade chip.

9 Likes

He’s being well compensated for it.

5 Likes

His age was a positive for us

They thought after a redshirt year he would be more ready to be the #2 based off his age

4 Likes