Former Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker is officially in a bad situation - A to Z Sports

My thought is… who cares if Hooker’s in a bad situation? The Detroit Lions are in a good situation, and that’s all I care about. Harsh maybe, and yeah it kinda sucks for him, but also he’s getting paid great money to (not) play a game. There are worse fates.

2 Likes

It is impossible to be in a bad situation on this team. Every player on this team is in a literal dream scenario

1 Like

Exactly he signed a 4 year 6 million dollar deal to hold Goff’s balls… I mean clipboard. I feel terrible for him. :laughing:

2 Likes

Ha, love the optimism Natty but that is definitely not true.

Now there are big benefits and helpful lessons for every player on the roster to take - great coaching, what it takes to be a pro, what it’s like to be in a winning organization (can’t believe I’m typing that), emotional support, etc, etc…

But a literal dream scenario? No. Because I’m sure the literal dream scenario for all these guys - the one they grew up with as kids - is starting superstar.

1 Like

If Hooker is the QB we all hope he is, he’s in a fantastic situation.

Firstly, it will help the Lions having a QB who can run and pass running the scout team in practice. That just makes us better

Secondly he gets to study under one of the brightest minds in all of football with Ben Johnson and one of the most gracious smartest QBs in Goff. There’s no ego getting in the way there. Goff isn’t going to pull a Rodgers and say he’s not there to help develop the backup

Also he’s on a team that is suddenly one of the premier teams in the league (crazy that I just typed that sentence) He’s going to get plenty of attention in pre-season or if Goff gets sick or hurt for a game or two

That’s how a third round pick becomes a franchise player. When other teams see how well we developed him and offer us a 1st round pick

3 Likes

Especially as we creep closer and closer to an 18 game season.

Quality depth at QB is no longer a luxury and certainly not a “problem”

1 Like

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Seems like a good situation.

The knock on him was the style of offense he played in college.

Now he gets to sit back and learn modern NFL schemes with little pressure.

If he’s any good, he will be starting somewhere

2 Likes

Can anyone think of a comparable scenario to this? Maybe Jimmy G with New England behind Brady? Trying to think how this might play out down the road if Hooker is actually good…

He might end up being someone’s Scott Mitchell

3 Likes

Goff has a no trade clause in his contract. He mentioned it in his press conference today.

1 Like

Another aspect not mentioned is HH gives us a great scout team look for running QBs.

1 Like

Amen, for years that was a “sticking point” and fans here wanted Hooker…we get him, and now all this “he’s old” , “he can’t do anything” , “he’s not worth anything bc he hasn’t started.” , we should trade him." stuff… oh–followed by “back-up QB X is better.” :nerd_face:

1 Like

Lol yup that “potential outcome” didn’t age well by me.

He’s still has to be motivated by prospects down the road, if nothing else. He should get lots of play time in training camp and exhibition season. If he balls out similar to his Tennessee tenure over the next two pre-seasons and any regular season games he gets into, there’s the carrot of being traded (presumably for a 1st round pick) to a QB-needy team before his 4th year–as a few others have said.

Goff’s extension may have crushed his sliver of hope of real competition, but he’ll set that aside, dig in, and be the best he can be in the meantime. Brad wouldn’t draft him if he didn’t have that inside.

1 Like

Agree here as well.

Most 3rd round or later QB picks are drafted to be backups.

Purdy, Dak, Brady, Cousins…. all had to wait until an injury gave them a chance to play.

That would be Hooker’s chance to create an opportunity for himself.

If he played well in relief of Goff for a game… maybe a a few games, he might become a trade target for some team if the circumstances aligned.

2 Likes