Found a comp for DeVonta Smith

That’s exactly what I see. He is pretty adept at positioning his body to get leverage. Just a tremendous amount of body control, and along with that comes sneaky strength. BTW, I also think Marvin Harrison is a good comp.

I see the talent rest of you see I have two question if you can answer them not with you think answer but as close to truth an feel its true i will think about him again.

1 why did he just show up for senior bowl but wouldn’t even weigh in ? he could have had like weight an height an hand an arms done he did nothing just PR appearance.

2 Why did he wait 6 weeks after senior bowl to finally get weighed but still no running an weight was still low .

Those two appearances an lack of really any proof of him being little bigger or how fast an what he can do example 3 cone an run routes. He did nothing an just a guess but took 6 weeks after Senior Bowl to get weight close to what NFL would consider.

He looks good on tape an had hell of a season but also remember he took the passes that would have gone to Waddle who until he was hurt was doing better than Smith.

One other point Waddle did everything for the draft while Smith did really nothing. WHY?
Smith

Height 6-0.5
Weight 170
Estimated 40 Time 4.48

Waddle

Height 5-10
Weight 180
Estimated 40 Time 4.31

I am not anti Smith I just think he is a High Risk Pick an being Lions we just can’t gamble on a first round pick. Many never end up being great picks but teams try to pick right one. Smith showed he has top tier ability but lacks the size by many who grade players.

When all picks have high miss odds why do we want to forget about Smiths lack of size an the fact he avoided any running an weight check for weeks.

I have seen many who point out the warts on other players I know I do but many want to look other way or make excuses for Smith.
Just my opinion but I hope we don’t draft him.

My problem with Waddle is his height and I’m unsure how versatile he is. I simply don’t like drafting 5’10" WR as WR1s. I’m not saying they can’t work out, but how many are out there? You want your no.1 WR to be able to be a target in the red zone. Waddle is super fun, and he’ll house some passes, but he’s the sort of guy I would pick to compliment my no.1 not be my no.1

1 Like

Is 6’ 0.5" 170 really alot worse than 5’ 10" 180? I don’t like that he passed on the 40 and 3-cone e.g. He probably got some advice that there is nothing to gain when you are already projected to go in the top 10. I don’t think there are any facts on why he missed, so the best you can get are informed opinions. I have not seen any credible ones. I get why you’re bothered by it. But its never a bad thing to go mostly by game tape, is it?

Torn ACL in college.

Torn ACL with the Lions.

Torn Achilles with the Lions.

Size or just bad luck?

I assume it was because he was trying to put on weight for his pro day or his agent told him not to therefore it wasn’t a focal point and teams would then rely more on his tape. Why make it a talking point if you don’t have to. Teams interested in him will have him step on a scale if they are concerned about his weight. Personally I think it’s a non issue.

Same reason - He’s trying to force teams to focus on his tape where he dominated against everyone. It’s a tactic his agent is advising him to do obviously. Teams know how fast he is. Apparently he had beat Ruggs in a race and he has been timed multiple times with a range in times. So why take the risk of running a slower time? He was a track star in HS, where he ran 100, 200 and 400 meters. They know he’s fast … These kids are chipped all year and Smith had one of the faster MPH’s recorded. He has decided to stand on his merits that are already established. I can’t blame him their impressive.

Because he’s coming off an injury and had more to prove than Smith. Also he probably has a different agent and their taking a different strategy. He’s fast and probably wanted to make sure everyone knew it without question. I think Waddle had more to prove as well.

Why do you think that? Because of his weight?

I think he’s one of the safest picks in the draft. His weight didn’t slow him in college, didn’t hinder his playing ability. He consistently beat the top corners in the nation and didn’t suffer any real injuries.

1 Like

A lot of them to be honest.

There’s a ton of great WR’s in that size range.

Tyreek Hill, Wes Welker, Steve Smith, Greg Jennings, Emanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, Randall Cobb, Julian Edelman, Ty Hilton, Antonio Brown, … I can go on … needless to say there have been many good ones.

I do think that it’s wise to have a big WR to play opposite your smaller speedy route runner.

If Smith rips up his ACL twice he probably won’t have all that good of a career.

Exactly …

Some guys don’t have the genetics and that is a legitimate concern for Tylan Wallace not Smith who has shown no real injury concerns.

If @thunderbuzzworth is suggesting smaller WR’s get hurt more he would probably be shocked to find it’s the exact opposite.

Okay, but how many of those guys are top ten picks, and are considered WR1?

You want to pick Randall Cobb or Golden Tate at 7? They would be considered busts at 7. Most of all 5’10" WRs would.

Waddle is going to be a weapon. I just wouldn’t draft him top ten. I’m not even sure I’d draft Smith top ten. Maybe Chase. I would prefer one of these tackles at this point, TBH.

For every smaller WR i can match you with 5 who are bigger an did as well or better. I just don’t want Lions gambling on a small WR who has hide from the teams regarding his physical size an even speed.

You can like him that’s ok but i don’t want to gamble on him when there are better or as good we can take. I would rather go OL or LB if we can trade down. So i am not beating drum for Smith Waddle or Chase . But i have explained why i am against Smith . You gave the PR answer also why he is dodging the weight an running.

Also Smith was hurt at the time. Pete Werner popped out his finger in the championship game and I think he had to get surgery for it. He didn’t even catch at the first pro day because he was still recovering.

We drafted a tall fast athletic WR one time who was a consensus top 5 pick. Guys name was Charles Rodgers. We drafted a big tall WR one time in the top 10. 176 catches and 30 TD’s over his final two years at a big time program. Guys name was Mike Williams. Moral of the story, we can’t draft WR’s of any size ever. :roll_eyes:

Size has nothing to do with how often or probable you are to being hurt.

The size or weight only matters when it comes to blocking or beating a jam.

I think for us whether it’s Waddle or another of the speedsters later on, guys like that can be just as deadly in the redzone because a lot of scores come on rub routes and quick outs to the pylon, or screens. Is he going to be your back shoulder high point guy? No, but those types don’t “need” to be #1 high investment WR’s. They just have to be tall. We’ve got 6’5 Hockenson, 6’4 Ty Williams, 6’4 Josh Hill, 6’4 Alize Mack so we’ve got some tall guy options right now. I usually snag a guy like that late like Grimes from Florida. I’d rather go Smith or Waddle early and Grimes late than Pitts early and Stevenson late. Just me based on who’s available. There aren’t any CJ’s in this one.

Weeeellll… if you are small AND slow, you are going to get killed in the NFL, unless you have some insane wiggle and those guys usually aren’t that slow. Physics still is a thing.

How many small and slow guys can you name in the NFL?

1 Like

How many were Hiesman trophy winners?

I can see that your goal is to keep moving the target until you have a small sample size. So let’s start with that one fact.

He’s lanky and light but he’s not really that small.

You can do this exercise for every position Yote. He’s 6’1” tall if you want to name guys 6’2” and taller I’ll name 5 who were shorter than that. Let’s start with pro bowlers.

Your are entitled to thinking he’s not worth it. I can respect that. I do think he will be a fine NFL receiver. I’m not opposed to taking a WR round two. That’s one of the reasons I like Parsons round one.

But I do think we need to get a WR in the first two rounds.

Wes Welker. 5’9 185 4.64. I agree it’s very very rare and the reason is, they get killed.

He played 175 career games.