Found a comp for DeVonta Smith

Small, slow guys don’t exist in the NFL because they cant get open. In Welker’s case, he’s lightning quick which is harder to hit.

I’m curious what your calling small and what your considering slow?

Do you mean players like Antonio Brown?

I’m on record saying that Chase is my pick for a receiver in this draft. I still think Smith would be a good option if Chase is off the board. A smart OC would coach him up to get open with his route running and protect himself if there is danger after the catch. Nobody expects him to go Beast Mode through the secondary. If he picks up 15 yards and then steps out or goes down before the safety can light him up, then he has done his job. Chase is the guy to make the catch and then battle through contact for extra yards. Smith is more of a technician like Marvin Harrison, and that’s absolutely fine. Smart coaches put their players in the best position to use their skills.

Andre Rison 6’ 188 lbs

I’m not moving the target. We’re picking top ten and you are giving me examples that don’t live up to a top ten pick. I mean heck, I can give you Antonio Brown and Tyreek Hill. Both guys look more natural than Waddle does to me at WR. But its the exception, not the rule. You have a much better chance at a real franchise guy with a guy who can do multiple things well. That’s Chase and Smith. Smart minds disagree with me, but no way do I take a chance on Waddle top ten.

Desmond Howard. Bust. Also a shorty. John Ross. Speedster shorty. Busts. Tavon Austin. Bust. There is quite a list of these type of guys who are limited in their roles in the offense.

Give me a guy that can play all three spots at WR. Then give me a guy like Waddle. JMHO and of course you don’t have to agree.

Yes, but Rison developed preternatural instincts and awareness from constantly living his life having to worry whether or not his wife would light his house on fire

There’s a long list of big WR’s who busted too. I’d argue that list is even longer.

You can pick plenty of busts for every position. That argument is flawed.

Name me one top ten picked WR that was ever drafted and became a WR1 that was listed under 5’11.

Ever.

I can’t think of one in the last 25 years.

Now name me some busts.

The reason is speed is always overdrafted. Even when they aren’t short, there Darius Heyward Beys, Ted Ginn Jr., and Tavon Austins.

Yeah, the small, slow descriptors were from 3rdRGR.
I don’t believe size has anything to do with injuries, it’s a fallacy that people can’t grasp because they believe (Force = Mass x Acceleration) and that the smaller guy loses. That’s true if both players were square blocks running on a rail straight at each other…but that’s not what happens in football.

I used to believe that smaller guys couldn’t last in the NFL as well. It took me awhile to realize that size didn’t matter when it comes to injuries.

Your forcing a small sample size by the way. And moving the target. Because in the history of the NFL there hasn’t been many top 10 WR’s selected. And recent rule changes are causing teams to select smaller QB’s and WR’s. Skill positions in general.

Henry Ruggs went 12 OA just last year as an example

Do you believe that height has something to do with a WR’s success?..just asking.

Henry Ruggs is a WR1?

We’ll see I guess.

His rookie year wasn’t great.

Look, its sort of the same issue with a lot of different traits. Its like a lot of times teams get so enamored with a physical trait that they overdraft. A lot of times with WR its speed. But sometimes its size too.

So the real question with Waddle is whether he is a one trick speed pony, or is he a dynamic WR that you want to make into WR1? I think Waddle has a little more game than just speed, but TBH I’d prefer to stay away. I don’t see him as a wise pic with our current roster, and you know we have two starters on one year deals on the outside. We need to develop some guys out there. Waddle is never going to be an X. Maybe a Z, but mostly I see him working out of the slot.

That’s where he started and then I gave him plenty of examples to show other wise.

Then he went to top 10 picks. (Like it matters)

Now he’s at top 10 picks who are WR1. He keeps moving the target.

Truth is that in NFL history there’s been some great WR’s that are sub 6’.

With recent rule changes that protect QB’s and defenseless receivers … more and more teams are looking to smaller guys that they didn’t in the past.

This is the kind of statement someone makes when they are more interested in winning an argument than having an honest discussion.

Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

There’s two names near the top of the all time receiving leaders who fit this description.

Henry Ellard and Steve Largent

Would you take either of those guys top 10… I would.

Largent is a HofF WR.

Yes, I do think that. To a degree, at least. But you can’t count people out based on height either. Height can limit what you can do as a WR. That is why the short guys play the slot more often than not

Slot WRs are not top ten picks in my book.

Some say Waddle isn’t just a slot. But he seems like one to me.

I’d rather stay away. If we were going to go WR, I’d prefer one that can play all three spots.

How is it possible that he’s never even been a finalist for the hall of fame? That guy was a badass.

Would you call Golden Tate just a slot guy?

They are about the same size?

Waddle has blazing speed and is a huge vertical threat. You’d be doing yourself a disservice making him a slot guy. He has the ability to play both inside and outside but he’s better suited for the outside.

Your stereotyping him off his size and ignoring history and facts to fit the narrative you’ve created in your mind.

Seems wrong doesn’t it.

1 Like

Another HofF WR who fits this mold is Charlie Joiner.