Free Agency Decisions

From an article by Matt Miller:

“The biggest prediction from league insiders? That Chris Jones, who is expected to want close to $20 million per season, has priced himself out of K.C. and will be traded to an NFC contender for a late-first-round pick.”

Perfectly fits us if we trade down for # 005 and # 026.… well accept for the NFC contender part.

there have been talks that he wasn’t out bc of his contract but rather his wife being on bed rest and his little kids…

Holy crap this whole Chris Jones thing is getting way out of hand. 20 mil a year is outrageous.

1 Like

Problem is the Jones trade is gonna happen in mid-March, whereas any draft trade-down is likely to come later. We won’t have the 26th pick by the time Jones is dealt.

Schobert ILB and D .Fowler DE and draft CB Okudah with a healthy D.Hand and the Defense looks so much better.

Chris Jones I hope is not a target he wants near 20 million i don’t want that kinda money tied up on one player .

Slay will not hurt cap this year if he gets a extension. Remember he is making a lot this season so that would be adjusted up yes but not a lot.

D Fowler could be tagged but if he hits FA will cost a lot an he has said he would like to play for Falcons think its his home town but he will get a bundle. I don’t see Lions interested in him.

About only LB i see us signing in FA is Kamalei Correa we have his coach on staff now . If I was GM I would add him an release Kennard. The LBs we have are not bad it was IMO more the DL play that hurt us last season.

Thats why I would like at least one new DT an two if Snacks leaves. Remember we had no play from Hand who was big for us season before.

1 Like

Good enough excuse for me.

1 Like

Deleted

This thread certainly takes on new meaning with the news that Harrison is no gone and that Slay may be traded. We still don’t know about Slay but we know DT is now the team’s top need as we have almost no DTs on the roster now!

At DT we are going to have to sign at least two free agents now. Luckily there are a BUNCH of DTs that would look really good here.

But if we have to replace Slay too? Tough but not impossible. By dropping Harrtison it appears we added close to $6 million in cap space. Noting we really only have Hand on the roster, right now I see something like:

1. A run stuffer like DJ Reader, Andrew Billings or Vernon Butler. Reader is 26 years old in July, Billings is 25 in March and Butler is 26 in June. This is a buyers market at DT in 2020 and we need that. There are plenty of other fine run pluggers available too. We need at least one.

2. DT Jarran Reed. Not a great human being but a solid player at a positon of need who would maybe fit right in with Hand in a solid rotation there.

3. Past that we will need either Slay re-signed or go after CB Kendall Fuller as there is little chance he is back with the Chiefs.

4. I think we need an upgrade to the LBer crew and I am on the Dante Fowler bandwagon hard. He would be an excellent weakside LBer here.

If the Lions can get that done I would be pretty happy. That is a LOT to do esp. noting we have our own free agents to lock down. But these guys would not be the most expensive guys at their positions but they might be pretty good here.

In the draft if we could add Chase Young OR the top CB I would be pretty happy right there.

It doesn’t shock me one bit. I’ve been on the stance that the Lions are going to overhaul the DT position. To be honest I think we’re going to see plenty of changes in the trenches on both sides.

Also, Michael Pierce and current Patriots free agent Danny Shelton. In fact Shelton makes a ton of sense.

I had forgotten about Billings for sure. Very interesting guy. Squatty body type but surprising athlete. He’s only 23 still. He’s kind of Casey Hampton like though nowhere near that same level of player of course. Interesting note, Casey Hampton was 24 when he debuted at Pitt. So maybe there is upside with Billings. He’s a good high risk/high reward candidate.

I was really high on him as a prospect. I think he’d be a good replacement for A’Shawn as rotational depth and could play either DT spot.

Lol yeah. You were touting him as a top 10 pick and he went in the 4th round. Can’t wait for you to cream your pants when the Lions draft a CB in the first.

Yeah, agreed, just don’t think he makes it out of Cincy. They rarely sign any outside free agents, but almost always bring back their own.

I remember you touting him and wondered myself what he’d do here and, more importantly, why his team is giving him the same treatment we are Robinson.

DJ Reader, or Vernon Butler I said along with Mouse an few others couple weeks ago.

I think either would be solid replacement I would now also like to add big DLman in draft like Brown I was heavy on Kinlaw but i have heard he has arthritis in his knees an we know what happened to are Very Good Safety with that problem.

I think Butler would fit best he gets after the QB better. He might be little cheap also.

So, I admit that I haven’t done a ton of research on contract/CAP implications but at a glance this is who I would make a run at in FA. For the record I do NOT believe that ANYONE we have on our defense is worth anything (possible exception being Flowers). I would target guards Scherff and Thuney and tackle Conklin. On defense I would make a run at Hargrave and Reader and in the secondary I would go after Chris Harris or Byron Jones and Devin McCourty or Justin Simmons. Obviously we cannot sign all but this is the pool I am looking at.

Yep, I missed on him. But then again this criticism from the guy who would have traded Stafford for some unemployed activist “straight up.” :rofl::rofl::rofl: