Georgia fans?

Any Bulldog fans here know much about Nolan Smith as far as Football IQ and versatility goes? Some think he would have blown up astronomically this season had he not gotten hurt. He has the ultra alpha dog mentality and is well spoken. His energy screams like Ray Louis baddest motherfucker on the planet type energy. @Bignatty did you watch him at the combine? I had seen a mock or 2 where we took him at 18… could he be a steal there? Can he play some off ball lb? What are his instincts like? I would love that mentality added to our defense. I admit i had mostly ignored him because i expected him to go around the top of the 2nd and we have houston.

1 Like

I haven’t watched any combine stuff. Only stuff I see is what gets posted in here.

I think he’s going to get some questions about his willingness to change positions as part of his interview process.

1 Like

Im sure he will be asked. Im more curious about his film and off the field presence.

Weighs 238 and runs a 4.3 - crazy

2 Likes

Teams are going to be dreaming about what might be with this kind of leader in the middle of your defense.

1 Like

He’s a math major and wants to be a finance guy on Wall Street when football is over, I think he’s got smarts for days and days.

The question for us is fit. Do you take Houston’s snaps and play him there? Do you make him a LB and take away what he (currently) does best? I mean a 1.52 ten-yard split is high-level crazy. Micah Parsons was only 1.59. Von Miller was around there too. Smith is nearly a tenth of a second faster than the fastest edge guys in the league. It seems crazy to take him off the edge. Which means for us, he’d be taking Houston’s spot.

2 Likes

I think he would thrive as 4-3 outside linebacker vs strictly being an edge rusher. He’s a stud and reminds me of Devin White. I have felt some type of way when reading he’s an EDGE. i hate that label for him…

VERY impressive in all aspects. I would love to see him in a Lions uniform. A Hybrid DE/LB. He has speed to cover and can rush. He difinitely has the “it” factor. If Glenn can’t find a way to use him he needs to be fired.

Okwara who?? Harris who? Save the money and replace with a stud.

2 Likes

Can he cover? Diagnose run plaus and stack blocks? Or is he jusr a pass rusher? Fit is the question here, and im not interested in pulling Hutch or Houston off the field. At least with a guy like Wilson you can slide him inside.

He was making calls on the field. He talks about it in the interviews. I think PFF has his coverage grade as an 82?

Devin White was my comparison as well. Smith is actually faster which is insane.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing about Devin White though… he kinda sucks.

He played great in their playoff run to the Super Bowl but ever since then he’s been terrible. he was one of PFF’s lowest graded coverage LB in 2022 and 2021.

1 Like

I was thinking with Nolan and Houston having flexibility between lb/de, as well as Hutch and Cominski as DE/DT, that we could constantly have a speed pass rush coming from different places… plus keep them all fresh. Not to mention insulating us from injury at a top position…

1 Like

If I knew I was getting Devin White at the end of the 1st round I would be more than thrilled.

Forgive me for not believing that PFF is gospel.

Unless we switched to a 3-4 on passing downs. McNeil in the middle, Hutchinson and paschal as your big ends and that kid and Houston at outside linebacker would be a tough package to deal with.

1 Like

That’s why I posted a lot of not-PFF, I know there are people on here who don’t like them. But a cursory internet search will show many, many people with the same opinion. He’s been really, really bad lately.

That would be one way to make him work but are you spending 6 or 18 on a designated pass rusher? Where are you playing him when it’s not a passing down?

If you read my first post i am asking Georgia fans about his traits beyond the pass rush. I would need him to be more than a designated pass rusher. He has the passion and work ethic in spades. His leadership skills appear off the charts. He has what Brad and Dan want in his head and heart. I am asking help from others who have watched him play. Can he do more than rush?

1 Like

Also, a player comp doesn’t mean he is Devin White. I mean I hope you didn’t believe when Cephus was being comp’d to Anquan Boldin that you didn’t actually believe he was going to be Anquan Boldin. A player comp is just who the player reminds you of. Nolan Smith is a freak and so was Devin White. They both have loads of ability and similar athletic profiles. Devin White regressing or not being one of the best in the league doesn’t mean he isn’t a legit comp.

And Nolan Smith isn’t even a fit here in Detroit. I just like him a lot as a prospect. Real question here…should I only weigh in on prospects that I want here in Detroit?