Gibbs = Marshall Faulk?

How sweet would that be…

4 Likes

I didn’t have Faulk as a comp for him (and still don’t, at least not stylistically), but when he was drafted I said his usage would be a lot like Rams Faulk, and I still think that’s the case. A true RB/WR combo.

4 Likes

Rose Mciver Reaction GIF by CBS

4 Likes

I was surprised after the draft how physically comparable they are. I always thought Faulk was a bigger back

4 Likes

Their measurables are similar but Gibbs is a leaner, longer type while Faulk had the junk in the trunk. Gibbs is a strider while Faulk is a stepper. Watching the two of them, you wouldn’t think they were very similar. But what they can do on a football field is very similar, and they’re roughly the same height/weight/speed, even if it’s proportioned a little differently.

6 Likes

Holmes was pretty careful how he compared them in the interview. Wasn’t like he said Gibbs was the next Faulk or anything like that.

4 Likes

They’re both do-it-all guys - run, catch (and not only out of the backfield), and passpro. Faulk was better than Gibbs is now at maneuvering in tight spaces. Gibbs has better top-end speed. Faulk was seen as a very cerebral player. I dunno how Gibbs is regarded in re football IQ. Both have/had very good vision and great acceleration, which is the key.

Gibbs’ prowess as a receiver is getting more attention coming out of college than Faulk got, but that’s probably a function of how the NFL game as evolved and the ‘controversy’ over Gibbs’ high selection.

4 Likes

For sure, also a function of how the college game has changed to utilize backs in the passing game. In Faulk’s era it really wasn’t much of a thing.

3 Likes

Gibbs is 5’9" and 199 lbs.

Faulk 5’10" and 206

Gibbs is anything but long & lean. He’s low and fast. Faulk got chunky as his career went on but he was pretty lean/fast when he came into the league.

1 Like

In Faulk’s final season in college he caught 47 passes for 640 yards. That’s more catches and more yards than Gibbs or Bijan Robinson ever had in a season. Its also 2 more catches and 5 less yards than Christian McAffrey had in his best season at Stanford.

2 Likes

Gibbs played against the highest college competition available, Faulk did not.

I expect Gibbs to be a star, but I don’t expect him to be a HOFer. I just want wins.

5 Likes

Where are we going with this?

The super bowl of course!

3 Likes

Apples, oranges. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Gibbs had 44 receptions (most on the team). Faulk had 30 less catches than the #1 WR on that team. I was stationed in San Diego then and watched him a couple of times. You could tell he was an NFL caliber playing against much lower level of competition.

I disagree. Gibbs is a leggy runner. Maybe it’s as simple as him having a higher waist and longer legs on a similarly sized frame, but watching the two run they look very different.

I stand corrected

Do you have her number to share!? She sounds hot.

1 Like

Quite possibly. Tough for RBs to get hof because of longevity, these days. If he could be healthy for 8-10 years, behind the OLs Holmes puts together, he would have a chance.

Gibbs is a cross between a Marcus Allen, and a Chris Johnson.

It wouldn’t shock me if he ended up somewhere in the middle of those two in stats and achievements.

3 Likes