Glad we didn’t take a Malik at deuce

3rd round is about right for a flyer on a developmental QB. When is the last time the media hype was so out of sync with what teams actually thought of a player

Baby steps. I’d be elated with a winning record. Then a division title. And dare we hope, a playoff win.

Think about this for a second, the WR turned his route upfield and was wide open. Does anyone really believe that Goff would just throw it out of bounds on purpose if he saw his WR running wide open behind his defender?!?!

2 Likes

This year → I’d be surprised, if not

40% chance of it this year. Don’t be surprised if they do it this year.

Also could happen this year. Next year, with those standards you have → you’re gonna be elated very, very soon

2 Likes

So, what did Stafford “energy” ever get us here?

Is Herbert a bad QB if he doesn’t have the warrior energy?..a lot of the talk when Herbert came out in the draft was that he was a very quiet guy and not a vocal leader.
Does that make not a winner?
Just curious, trying to understand if this energy talk really matters or not.

1 Like

Thing is

Lions fans watched this and feel some kind of way

But again not many really have looked to see what happens to other QBs on desperate 4th down plays

I saw Josh Allen throw out of bounds to lose a game of on 4th down last yr. I’ve also see a QB throw a totally uncatchable ball on 4th down.

4th downs aren’t exactly successful situations when passing and teams know it

5 Likes

Yup - there can be truth to that as well.
My deepest truth → I really don’t even care…just being honest.

My focus is that he will improve. How much? Dunno?
My focus is also that Brad knows what to do and will eventually get the whole roster “right” no matter what happens with the QB situation.

Love being a fan of this team and trusting the front offices, right now. Love IT

1 Like

Not a single thing. Stafford energy was surrounded by “Patricia energy,” WCF energy, etc, etc, etc. It’s not juuuuust about one dude, my bro.

Herber has a fairly high “warrior energy” score. He’s calm like Barry Sanders was, in interviews. Gentle. But when faced with confrontation, his response (his nature) is to go into warrior. Interviews are more often than not parallel, but not always.

Some guys, like Rodney Peete → the idea of physical confrontation activated a fear response that often ended in him jumping on the ground and going into a fetal position.
In Herbert → he responds to confrontation WITH confrontation of his own. He doesn’t have a fear response.

When fight or flight situations pop up, Herbert will fight. So will Stafford. I love that. It DOES impact teammates.

Warrior energy is not the be all/end all. It matters. it impacts. Some guys are so physically talented that they can lead in other ways.

1 Like

Dude you may as well give up the good fight, I personally don’t see anything wrong with it (and we sure as hell don’t know the schematics that went awry, and no one here does) yet some just can’t let it go, it is what it is, QBs don’t chuck up ZERO chance 4th down throws like the used to in this stat driven environment

It’s not like TB12 utterly LOSING a game because he threw a ball away on 4th down believing it was 3rd

4 Likes

I’m in this boat
And really don’t hold those 4th down plays against Goff.

1 Like

I was never a fan of Malik at two. I did consider trading down, adding a low first/high second position player to offset the pick. Devonte Wyatt would have been nice in addition to another late first guy with our Rams pick. Or Jamo could have been Willis and we still get Hutch. His lack of taking the world by storm right now doesn’t surprise me. For the Lions, Willis would have been a guy to come in and get some gadget plays this year and learning from Goff. Those doing a victory lap now in Willis’ first pro camp with great tools, character and little else, come back and revisit when next year rolls around. I’ll be here.

2 Likes

Andre Ware?

Oh, sorry, that’s Results being so off from league expectations…my bad

2 Likes

FWIW

When asked about the offensive performance, Dan Campbell was also not happy with the lack of execution of that fourth-down call.

“Aside from the fact that on the fourth down, he threw it into the stands, which yeah, that’s not a good decision.”

2 Likes

Willis was always gonna need time to develop. I’m interested to see what he looks like next offseason.

2 Likes

Yep, he did that one time and never again.

I don’t know about victory lap. I thought the Malik hype was crazy talk long before the draft ever happened. I saw a really shitty QB. Many had me convinced he was going in the first half of the first round and likely in the top 10. I was like is it me or is it them? Did not compute. Fatal error. Blue screen of death…

3 Likes

If we had drafted Willis at 2, I would have been counting down the days until regime change. That would be as bad as Millen and Morningweg driving away from practice on their motorcycles and Mayhew taking Ebron over Donald. Those moments when you realize your GM is a moron

2 Likes

3 Likes

That was from the Eagles post game.

2 Likes

I just remember seeing things like “if you like him enough to take him at 10, you might as well take him 2” and I think to myself “if you like excitement and taking unnecessarily stupid risks, might as well rub Icy Hot on your balls.”

6 Likes