Glazer and Rapaport: Dan Campbell will be new HC

I think he was MLB? for steelers, patriots and chiefs. Starter in the league for a long time. MLB is the QB of the defense. He also was a DC for the Texans.

1 Like

He may be a rookie, but at least he ain’t a DC. I’d have oreferred Marvin Lewis, we will see.

I’m curious Greggy, who were you top choices for GM and coach?. You hated both choices.

1 Like

Lacking any other information or context, I have a similar impression.

Like you, I also don’t think that is a good indication of who would be able to do the actual job of HC most effectively.

Hopefully, if this turns out to be true, Campbell has a bunch of hidden skills that he just hasn’t been able to demonstrate yet.

I also think we should read Rapaport’s tweets the way they are, that he’s the favorite to be the next HC, not that he will be as the thread title suggests.

5 Likes

I figured when Chris got involved that we’d lean towards someone like Campbell.

As long as he puts together a good staff I can get on board with it. Is his shovel sharp?

3 Likes

Totally agree. 100 percent.

1 Like

Seriously!!!

If BQ canned MP after year 1, he might still be around.

I don’t know enough about Holmes or Campbell, but what I’ve read sounds pretty good. I hope this is a great combo for us!

All true, he did play but in regards to as a coach, he seemed to be liked more for his leadership and his personality and not his scheme. I could be wrong.

Need lights out coordinators.

3 Likes

I’ll admit I wanted retreads. Dimitroff for GM–somebody who has done it before. Maybe Lewis for coach as well, but a guy like Dimitroff could pull in a newbie for HC and I’d have been OK.

Not this, though. I just wanted ONE GUY with experience. This franchise is a mess. The owners are a mess. You need someone who has done it before, and neither of these guys have.

Again, I wanted Quinn/Patricia so my opinion is meaningless, but to do the exact same thing again in taking guys with little to no experience? Come on. That’s idiotic.

1 Like

seriously, if we don’t talk stafford we might never disagree again. :joy: :innocent:

and i am not even saying i disagree completely on stafford.

2 Likes

I like that we quoted the same quote, hahaha. Obviously a good one @Spiel54man!

1 Like

And here too. Consensus agreed!

I feel like Dan Campbell is like Mike Vrabel. I was not into Vrabel at all years back. Oops. Mike has been really good in Nashville.

My mind is open to Campbell. Going 5-7 as the head coach if that Dolphins teams years back was no small feat.

2 Likes

Wade Phillips?

There’s a ton of ex-head coaches out there right now who were excellent when they were coordinators.

Doug Marrone for OC or offensive line coach?
Anthony Lynn for OC?

Wade Phillips for DC?

2 Likes

Would be a great hire for this defense.

And here’s the kicker (again, assuming Campbell is the guy)… Holmes never worked “in the building” for LA, and Campbell never even ran one side of the ball. These jobs are pretty decent jumps up for both guys.

I hope these guys end up being the next Newsome and Vrabel, but it feels more like we’re heading toward Millen / Marinelli.

I’d it works out this way, there’s just something about this that makes me very nervous. Can’t put my finger on why.

Would rather have Staley, don’t know why, if I had to chose between the two.

Maybe the Rams lose, Saints win and they take the time to interview Staley.

So what I’m hearing is he’s a good leader and this signifies a culture change in Detroit.

Great, I’m pretty sure I heard this when we hired Matty P.

Since Dan’s a former player will he be able to relate better to his players? Will that mean he can get more out of his team than Matt did? Maybe?

I mean I don’t really want to judge him before he gets here, so the jury is still out.

To be fair, I loved the Matty P hire and hated the Jim Caldwell one, in hindsight it’s pretty clear I may not know what the fuck I’m talking about so let’s give him a fair shot.

1 Like