Goff can’t read defense according to Mcvay

Stats and production rely on so many things. It’s not an indicator of ability. Just because some career averages are similar doesn’t mean they are the same level player.

You seem very sure that Goff was the main issue and not McVay. I’m curious where that confidence comes from. Is it just that you’re a McVay fan or is there some evidence of Goff lacking these skills that you can point to…aside from taking McVay’s word for it?

No shade here. I’m honestly curious because I have no idea which one of them was the problem but I havent see ln anything from Goff that would suggest he has an incurable lack of ability

I agree. Stafford’s numbers are inflated because he played a high percentage of his games down by multiple scores and threw against very soft coverage to pad his stats.

2 Likes

Yes McVay was a genius when Gurly was putting up 25-30 tds a year.

His college OC doesn’t agree with you. The Bear Raid is not as complex as an NFL offense and the spacing does make things more clear but you still have to read a defense.

There have been a lot of film breakdowns of goff over the years that show his inability to get through progressions. The rams offense tried to minimize that by getting to the line quick so Mcvay could make calls before the mic went out. This is rare in the nfl… and it’s something Mcvay did not do with cousins in Washington. Goff never even made play calls at any level before the nfl. Despite all this… he showed an ability to make really nice throws. They extended him based on the idea that he would progress mentally with more experience, but that didn’t happen. He didn’t progress much at all… so much so they decided to move on from a 26 year old on a long term deal. Unheard of.

It was inconsistent over supposed “leaders” trying to run it.

Don’t forget CJ Anderson. I mean its hard to say it was Gurley when CJ Anderson tore up the Cowboys in the divisionals 2018.

Honestly, its hard not to tip your cap to Mcvay. He may not be perfect, and Goff may thrive elsewhere (like here) but Goff’s issues aren’t all McVay.

I bet you that the best QB in America doesn’t come out next year, because he won’t be eligible.

Even more interesting when you compare them at similar stages of their careers.

Matt Stafford in his firs 77 pro regular season games

1848/3099

21714 yards

59.6%

131 TDs

85 ints

83.63 QB rating

Jared Goff in his first 69 regular season pro games

1536/2421

18,171 yards

107 TDs

55 ints

91.5 QB rating

2 Likes

Stafford went through a major lull at the same portion of his career. Let’s see if Goff can adjust like Stafford did.

1 Like

This has always been my contention, if the Rams didn’t like Goff at this point in his career what would they have thought of Stafford?

1 Like

Hasn’t the refrain for Stafford when he struggled that he didn’t have a star running back and an inconsistent Oline?

So SLR loses their RB and the oline regresses and Goff Struggles…

Seems almost ironic that Stafford gets traded away just as a great run game and solid oline takes shape here. But happily maybe Goff returns to form

I think the biggest question is whether or not Stafford’s body is breaking down. I think there is at least some evidence to suggest that is the case.

Would be a shame if it did so leading to some designer magic beans.

1 Like

I predict an extremely vanilla O esp to start the season. This isn’t just about getting Goff up to speed, it’s all about getting the entire O on the same page. For you people who follow the Rams, was Austin Blythe, (now gone), making the line calls or was it Goff?

Seems like he was at least partially responsible

Its not like the RAMS rushing offense was trash last year. They were 10th in rushing offense. They were 3rd in 2018. It was only 2019 where they had a bottom tier rushing offense.

I don’t think you can explain away Goff’s issues by personnel or coaching. He was 23rd in QBR last year. Not that I think QBR is everything…Stafford was 15th. In 2019 where they both had about the same level of rushing support Stafford was 6th and Goff 22nd.

I remember this particular play because Jon Gruden brought it up in a film session once, talking about QBs checking to successful plays. Fast forward to around the 6 minute mark. You will see a Burleson catch and run but you need to see us line up on the next play to see what happened. Matt see’s something so he audibles, flips Reggie to the other side and has him run it. Reggie takes the corner and scores a TD.

The article pretty much says that they valued him but he signed with KC for $900,000 with escalators…

To be fair to Goff, he certainly did regress but that doesn’t mean he can’t regain some confidence, get in a better scheme for him and be a solid QB. His year five was a disappointment for sure. But do people here remember Staffords late season collapse in 2013, his fifth year?

Similar to Goff, Stafford was just given a big extension. Similar to Goff he was regressing; a significant factor in our fizzled playoff hopes and didn’t have the best work ethic at the time. This was the ‘not my style’ days…

There’s a lot of similarities. We were a year away from a dominating defense. That team was ready to compete…

Difference is we kept the QB and jettisoned the coaching staff. Rams kept the coaching staff and jettisoned the QB