Goff can’t read defense according to Mcvay

Stafford’s late season collapse in 2013 was definitely the low point in his career. But my God it didn’t help that he had Calvin and basically nobody. I mean Reggie Bush was OKAY but he was dealing with a hobbled Calvin, Joseph Fauria at TE and an aging Burleson and Backus who retired that year. He was throwing to Kris Durham at one point as a main WR. They were tops in the league in dropped pass and 2nd in the league in fumbles. It was brutal to watch the collapse man, bringing back memories. Stafford did have some blame there, for sure to be clear.

But Goff is different to me. We have those people reminiscing about some painful and unnecessary INTs by Stafford…all i got to say is brace yourself with Goff.

1 Like

Bell was no slouch. He and Bush were in the top ten for RB receiving yards in 2013.

Riddick was an up and comer who started to contribute late in the year

I seem to remember Pettingzoo having a decent 2013 as well. Enough to warrant a four year extension after the season

Plus CJ was, after all, one of the best WRs of all time. Even battling a sore knee and finger, he was still probably better than most receivers in the league

That’s true, and I don’t mean to belittle Bell. He was an overachiever. I remember that Ravens games that year, I think it was on MNF where Tucker hit the 61 yard FG for the win. So brutal man to lose that way. Just so many things. Stafford throwing a strike to Durham down the sideline endzone and the Ravens corner with the clear arm bar. Clear. No call. Or Bell and Durham running into each other on 3rd and short, Stafford puts the ball exactly where it needs to be, and its an INT. I think part of the problem with that team is that Linehan refused to commit to the ground game which our line was fairly decent that year

There is something to be said for putting a QB in a winning situation, but I struggle to compare Goff to Stafford. Stats could be similar sometimes but to me Stafford was always clearly more talented.

Well Mlive didn’t much care for his performance that game. My point is Stafford struggled badly at the end of 2013 and it can’t all be excused by the players around him. The Lions though, stayed committed to him and even brought in a new coach to ‘fix’ him.

Stafford definitely improved and even started seeking out a throwing coach later in his career. So the point is, we shouldn’t assume Goff won’t return to form or even become a top ten QB, just because he’s struggled recently

2 Likes

Man, you sure do make-up some stories to fit your agenda.

McVay found a way to cheat-the-system and did it to gain an edge on the defenses, he wasn’t doing it because Goff couldn’t…that’s just dumb, made-up BS.

1 Like

This…Stafford threw for all those yards because he was typically getting his ass kicked. Raw yards is the absolute worst stat to rank a QB by. He wasn’t called Pad Statford for nothing. Sometimes the other team would play soft defense the entire 4th quarter and it helped to make Stafford’s stat line respectable.

He seen all-but 2 defenders past the hash on the short-side of the field…and only 3 guys on that side of the ball at all, that was an easy audible…

I wouldn’t put much stock in this Matt Fitzgerald guy. He’s a tool. He’s a freelance writer who has taken some heat for his BS articles in the past.

He wrote a peace a couple years ago about Josh Allen and his low completion percentage and it had a bunch of similar hit points that were all false. He took a quote from the coach and twisted it to fit his narrative. (Just like he did here) He claimed Josh Allen would be a bust.

His M.O. is to write controversial stuff. Like Carlos Monarrez.

On Twitter he took some heat over his Josh Allen attack article and Jordan Palmer explained to him why his take was wrong and that Josh would be a stud. Matt Fitzgerald tells Jordan Palmer that he doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Palmer battled back, tried to explain and continued to stick up for Allen.

This Matt guy tells Palmer he was an idiot fan who knew nothing and that he knew more about football than some fan. Obviously not knowing who Jordan Palmer is. Then a bunch of former NFL QB’s and current NFL QB’s jump in and take Palmers side to explain to this Matt tool who Palmer is and that Matt Fitzgerald was way wrong. Pointing out that it was Matt who was the idiot who knew nothing.

The guy took a ton of heat and he deleted his account once he realized he made himself look like the idiot he was.

For those of you who don’t know who Jordan Palmer is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/story/_/id/29048756/how-jordan-palmer-went-qb-washout-go-coach-no-1-nfl-draft-picks%3Fplatform=amp

This Fitzgerald guy knows less about football then fans on this board. He’s a nobody with no connections who is trying hard to make a name for himself by creating controversial articles that get him clicks. Don’t click on that article that guys a tool.

6 Likes

Stafford was a turnover machine in 2013.

1 Like

I was at that game with endzone seats. Tucker’s kick came right toward us. Talk about deflating the crowd.

1 Like

You make a good point here and I’ll agree with you. I think Goff comes in with a chip on his shoulder. I’ll be worried if he doesn’t.

However, I am not going to assume he will become a top 10 QB. That’s hopeful thinking and not critical evaluation in my estimation. I don’t think he has the sort of talent Stafford has.

Chances are that McVay is a damn good offensive coach and Goff will always be limited by the things that limited him in LA. I think Detroit will start him next year and use him to evaluate the roster, and Lynn likes to play a simplified scheme (I read somewhere) that should help with some of his issues. There is a chance he does really well…but as I’ve said umpteen times I don’t think we should count on it. beating dead horse icon.

Oh man! That game took the life out of me. It was so important. We were so close too.

A lot of people talk about staffords 2013 collapse like it was all his bad play. He struggled for sure, but that offense died that year. Reggie bush only carried the ball like 100 more times for his career (on his last legs) Joseph fauria was not an NFL player. Kris Durham was starting at wr and Calvin was dealing with the injury that sapped his explosiveness for the rest of his career. There were no horses. No weapons. And stafford hadn’t learned to just take what he’s given. He knew he didn’t have any help so he kept trying to win on his own.

Comparing staffords 2013 to the goff last year is not apples to apples. The rams last year had a better run game then the lions ever had in the last 12 years. And kupp, woods, higbee, Everette, etc. Is astronomically better than the hobbled Calvin and washouts the lions were struggling with.

I’m not so sure that a young QB who has started multiple Pro Bowls and made it to a Super bowl should be so quickly dismissed. Of course it’s hopeful thinking, but also not unrealistic. I find it difficult to believe that was all McVay and his super coaching powers

He definitely doesn’t have Staffords arm talent. But it looks like he throws a more catchable ball. The crucial thing will his commitment going forward and how good of a system we build around him

1 Like

Goff is actually close in arm ability. He’s not as strong… but he throws a beautiful ball and can play the whole field. The separation exists in the anticipation, progressions, reading defenses, etc

Some of that is analysis through the rosy-eyed Stafford lenses…There’s a reason a coach was brought in to ‘fix’ Stafford. His mechanics were a mess and his poor play was the biggest reason for the late season meltdown

But…to his credit he did recommit to the craft, put in the hours and become a much more consistent player

Theres a lot of similarities in Goff last year and the 2013 Lions. Two young QBs coming off big extensions, teams built around a solid DL. Donald and Suh…

That Lions team was close…If we hadn’t bailed on Linehan and Schwartz, drafted Donald…assuming Stafford was still able to clean up his mechanics, I think we would have made some noise for a few years

1 Like

Perhaps then, not being micro-managed by a coach who breaks down your confidence and forces you into play action 30% of the time without a great RB is exactly the change in scenery Goff needs.

Of course it’s also possible he’s a lazy golden boy who got by on skill long enough to not develop a driving work ethic and will flame out here and be out of football in a few years

I’m hoping for the former

I was there too.

Disagree. appeasethefblgods There is a ton of film of him going through progressions and reading the defense. If you look at the ramsrule board, many defend Goff and disagree with the author of the article.
Rams fans perspective on the article: that's not even subtle

Here is a quote from the author that is blatantly false. He was good at times under pressure and has some stats are better than Stafford. Hard to take the author seriously with a pointed statement like this:

Goff was just downright horrible over the past two seasons. Whenever a hint of pressure crept into the pocket, the former No. 1 overall pick froze. Now, he’s expected to elevate a mess of an organization in Detroit that’s in the midst of probably the biggest rebuild in the NFL right now with a new regime.

We aren’t too far from being able to see Goff apart from McVay. I suspect Stafford will still be Stafford except with a slightly better coached team.

We will also see Goff with a brand new team and OC that will have it’s struggles but I’m pretty sure will exceed most peoples expectations this year.

2 Likes

Reggie Bush had a combined 1,500 yards in 2013 and J. Bell was also really good. We had Burleson for 8 games as well as Pettigrew too. And Calvin. That is far from stacked but also far from awful.

The defense had players too in Suh and Company. The 2013 Lions team had legit playoff talent. Wild Card talent. Not amazing but okay.

I love Stafford. But glossing over his clear and obvious flaws in 2013 while focusing of Goff’s flaws isn’t fair or accurate.

2 Likes