Goff needs to be better

I don’t agree with the Goff needs to be better, but there are things he can improve on. He needs to develop trust with Jamo primarily. It’s like they used to say with Moss “If Randy is even, he’s leaving.” By the time he’s wide open, it’s too late, the ball is going to hang in the air and Jamo is going to have to fight the DB for it. Like we saw yesterday. That ball was way too late.

2 Likes

Goff is a big part of why this team is playing so well. Every QB misses some plays and throws , but Jared hasn’t had a bad game really ,if he misses or makes a mistake he comes right back. I haven’t seen him have a stretch of bad pass or plays sense the 1st 10 games. It’s a play here and there but always comes right back with a good play. Goff is a very efficient QB IMO

3 Likes

im giving him a lil excuse cause he had an injury in practice on his calf before this game

also Lavonte David was covering him, which uh yeah, top 5 Coverage LB imo

agree with this though, they need to work together and get more chemistry, been the big thing between the two of them, considering how much time Jamo has missed

it was good to see him get that TD yesterday, and i do agree they need to get better with that.

News flash. We all watch the games. But we don’t zero in on every single missed throw. Statistics do mean something.

5th in the league in completion percentage, so he isn’t throwing the ball away.

3rd in the league in yards per attempt so he isn’t just throwing the safe passes.

Some fans do not take criticism well, but in this case it’s unwarranted. Most of your assertions are
simply disproven by statistics. And I think you know that because of your claim that you watch every game and zero in on a couple bad throws. Yes, he can be better but your implication that Goff is somehow lucky and getting bailed out by his receivers is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Goff is “Elite”!
Of course, he can still get better.
His history says that he will.
Scary, huh!

4 Likes

I am not sure what I’m looking at here. Can you explain it?

Goff is top five in raw accuracy has the best adjusted accuracy percentage in the league

He is currently number one in explosive plays over 20 yards. He is also top five in air yards and air yards per attempt. With his clear deep threat WR back for only his second game

He is currently fourth in ESPN QBR and fourth in NFL QBR

He has already broke and currently extending franchise records for straight home games with TD passes and for games with consecutive NFL ratings over 85.5

This post is clearly a troll and as QBHater said, just a sad attempt at getting attention. If it’s meant to be serious, it’s perhaps the dumbest post in the history of this board

1 Like

You’re basically down to third string LG (Jackson, Glasgow, then Awosika), with two starting OL out. So, Goff didn’t have as clean a pocket due to the personnel upfront.

1 Like

As with any QB there are bad throws that are caught and good throws that are dropped. The ball that Jamo didn’t catch was badly thrown, but pressure was on and Goff threw off his back foot with not much on it. Years ago Bob Gagliano joked that he got all of his passing yardage by dumping the ball off to Barry Sanders and he would run for 60 to 80 yards. It’s all perspective.

He does a post like this every week or 2 …same talk just worded different…

2 Likes

Gotcha … I once did a study of every NFL QB when someone told me that Rodgers was great under pressure… when Rogers had the longest time to throw in the league for years… anyway I did a study comparing Staffords time to throw vs the rest of the league and when under 2.5 seconds Stafford was second best in accuracy next to Brady.

My point is that every QB’s accuracy greatly declines with the less time they have to throw. The more a QB scheme demands a longer hold time the more it puts the QB at risk.

It is important to work on time to throw in training camp and to get your QB releasing the ball in well under 3 seconds is ideal. The average time to throw in the NFL is under 3 seconds. I feel like were not drawing up enough quick passes and utilizing our speed to make plays. This is exposing Goff and causing him to make more mistakes. Toss in an OL that’s giving him less than the average time to throw and you have to draw up faster plays.

1 Like

I think that, in reality, Goff can get better.

I’m also careful to dissect the “accuracy when pressured” label. Like, if a guy has his throwing motion interfered with because he stood in the face of pressure until he couldn’t get the ball off cleanly, how would you describe that? Does he really have an accuracy when pressured issue?

That label is usually applied to a QB that plays more tense and whose accuracy suffers because he’s “feeling” the pressure. I’m not applying that to Goff right now. Dude’s playing fearless, yet smart.

He’s worked on some off-platform throws and is incorporating them in-game.

He’s thrown for some crucial 3rd down conversions with LaPorta, St Brown and Reynolds on the sidelines while mobile to extend drives.

Does Goff “need” to be better? Yes. By his own assessment of himself, yes.

WILL Goff be better?

Everyone’s gotta have their own say on him, I guess. Not me. I’m enjoying the ride and wouldn’t try to pigeon-hole him with any kinda label at this point.

We need to talk about Craig Reynolds’ down field blocking. Sure he blew up that Buc and sprung Amon-Ra for a TD, but I didn’t see the guy’s helmet go flying off. Reynolds clearly didn’t bring his A game on that block.

I personally want to thank OP for working to keep the Den interesting.

I am personally full on the Goff train right now, but always appreciate those that take the time to defend their dissertations or provide food for thought outside of group think

2 Likes

We averaged 1.8 yards per carry and held
the ball for 36 minutes. That game, against a division leader, coming off a bye, fully healthy, with a fantastic defense - was won on the arm of Goff

2 Likes

Not the point I was making. My point is that all QB’s under the average pressure time have thier accuracy affected as a result. Goff’s seen some of this due to the OL play… the better his OL the better he plays like most QB’s but… when time to throw drops below average you need to draw up a quicker passing game plan. I don’t think were doing enough scheme wise in that regards. Obviously you cant argue with the results but I think we could draw up some quicker passes to slow down the pass rush. We probably should work on that more before playoff time.

Yeah, I agree with this and mentioned the lateness on deep throws a couple of weeks ago. I still love the totality of Jared Goff.

There are legit critics and then there are just a few haters. The haters tend to move the goalposts, and compare him to perfection rather than to the field. They also want style points.

Lol, is this satire? The guy is 13-3 in his last 16 with, I believe, 29 TDs and 4 INTs. Needs to get better my ass, get outta here with that.

When I saw the thread title, I thought this had to be a bump from a 2 years old thread then saw it was from 3 hours ago. Uhh…what?

6 Likes