Goff perspective: if he was a free agent next season

2 games this year and the last 6 from 2021, so you could say 8 games, not 2.

The poster said capable, he didn’t say great.

1 Like

Jamo isn’t just going to run x routes like Chark seems to be doing. In 2021 Williams lead the league in ‘Burn rate’ Or how often he smokes his defenders to be open. He did so on 74.6% of his targets in 2021, better than Wilson (71.6%), Olave (69.9%), Drake London (71.3%) and Treylon Burks (64.8%)

Williams has dual threat ability and can beat his coverage not just with speed but at the start of his route.

He ran 132 routes from the slot in 2021 and was targeted 40 times. His burn rate from the slot was 77.5% compared to 73.0% when he lined up as an outside receiver. He averaged 26.5 burn yards per target and 8.0 burn yards per route from the slot, while he produced a big play on 59.7% of slot targets.

Thats better than his numbers as an x receiver – 15.5 burn yards per target, 3.6 burn yards per route and a big play rate of 41.7% – though that disparity is largely a product of Williams running a lot of his deeper routes from the slot.

Williams’ average depth of target from the slot was 19.3 yards, compared to 11.5 yards from the outside.

I think we are going to see a lot of creativity, play action and crossing routes that exploit Jamos speed and saavy. He and Amon Ra as the top two receivers are going to be dangerous. Amon and Williams can both run deep from the slot. Something we see The Lions doing with Amon Ra regularly. It’s all the more effective because both are legitimate blocking threats and teams have to respect that they may be staying in the middle before breaking upfield

3 Likes

One of the greatest indicators of QB success. Completions-specifically completion percentage & TD-INT ratio.

Those working in football certainly care about it, wonder why you think fans shouldn’t want those numbers to be healthy as well?

Really appreciated this breakdown, bro. I agree that he’s gonna be used creatively.

I wonder what our current depth of target is for different areas of the field, and if that needs to be adjusted when JaMoss gets in here? How many passes/game are we currently throwing where the target is 19.3 or 11.5 (not counting YACs, if I’m reading this properly)?

Do we need to adjust?
Not saying we won’t or can’t, just that it feels like we are going to have to either adjust and pass deeper/more often OR have JaMoss running more shallow routes.
Going to be super-interesting to see how it plays out.

2 Likes

This play gave me hope in Goff. He showed some balls here I haven’t seen before really. But I somewhat Rene someone else being more open on this play. I struggled to find the all- 22. But did find this video on the struggles with TJ thst I think highlight the/my issues with Goff. The guy in the video expresses all of my concerns. I felt the SAME exact way about the opening play. Hockenson is like “you guys are TRYING to get me killed… this isn’t worth it” he’s had this body language since the start of last season.

1 Like

NY Giants
Washington
Carolina
New Orleans
Seattle
Indy
Baltimore - Maybe
Pittsburgh - Maybe
Atlanta - Maybe
San Fran - Maybe

2 Likes

Goff is currently near the top of the league at ‘explosive’ plays over 20 yards. And as we have all seen several didn’t connect. So he is throwing deep. Jamo is also one of the better ball-tracking prospects we have seen in a long time which translates into less than perfect throws into completions. If he is rolling Goff won’t have to be perfect

1 Like

Yep! We have a great paper team.

How’s 6-1?
Tell you what. Stafford would love to have that right now.

1 Like

Correct. I’m aware. Also…what is the depth of target? I’m seeing guys taking 5 and 7 yard passes for 20+, for sure. That’s not what I mean.
The OL blowing a hole open where a run play goes for 20+, and the downfield blocking is creating a 5 yard pass to turn into 20+.

How much of it is “game manager?”
How much of it is “our stud QB created that?”

We are winning at the margins with downfield blocking and creating more from less, far more often than not.
Is the system creating production, or is the it the QB?
Truth is in the middle, for sure.

Reiterating → Goff’s production has never been the hole in his game.
215 yards passing doesn’t impress me
256 is the biggest day, so far.
How much of that is because of great route, great protection, and/or great downfield blocking?
I dunno.
That’s my question.

This offense is awesome, and IMO, an average game managing NFL starter can have some pretty good success in there.
Levels and layers.

I don’t know the answer, and I’m not envious of Brad’s position in having to make this decision.

I don’t think those things are mutually exclusive. The best most explosive quarterbacks are also game managers. And the best game manager quarterbacks will lead to explosive plays.

Really well run offense is a chess match with the QB at the center of it

2 Likes

I think MCDC said it rightly, “Goff is reading the defense well, and is getting us into the right plays.”
DC and Johnson have both said that Goff has been a part of “creating” this offense.
Not that I put any stock in what they say. Clearly, the haters know more about Goff and Football.

2 Likes

Keep it rolling like that all year & we’ll have a pretty good football team.

I’m just responding in kind to a message that seemed to state fans shouldn’t care about completions

2 Likes

Have to say i feel like I’ve picked up on this as well.

Didn’t want to say anything though bc i thought the same about swift and was wrong.

2 Likes

There are a lot of “conversations” happening for a 1-1 team.
If the Lions beat the Vikings things are really gonna heat up :crazy_face:

That will be the first away game
Going to be a good tough test

2 Likes

But once again let’s see how he does when it’s not so balanced. That’s what some are waiting to see.

Honestly whos gonna believe what you say about a QB, you pissed on a very good one for 12 years and didn’t think he could ever win a Superbowl everything was his fault now all you do is rave about Goff and bitch if anyone questions his play.

1 Like

Hello, hyperbole much?

1 Like

It’s really not , I just spent about 12 years listening to you on the totally opposite side when it came to Stafford now that’s it’s Goff everything is different. its comical. I’m mean when Stafford had good game it would be because of everyone else, but when he played bad you would be here singling out every poor play. Now your whining because people question Goff. I really believe you have no idea what your talking about on the subject.

I only started posting on this board around 2020ish. I think you’re conflating me with all your other little rivalries. I gave Stafford props when props were due and criticized him when criticism was due. I also don’t think anyone disagrees with the fact that Stafford didn’t have any success in Detroit for whatever reasons and was not ever going to lead this team to a Super Bowl

I also posted after the trade that the expectation was that Stafford win a Super Bowl with the Rams and anything less was failure because of that team and all it’s talent. Kudos to him but he’s not a Lion anymore.

Personally, and to the point of what I’ve been saying today, this offense is more fun than watching any Stafford-led office for the last 12 years. Regardless of how much of that is Stafford’s fault and how much that was the coaching staff or personnel we were an incredibly one dimensional offense. And for whatever reason it’s what the Rams are becoming this year. Pass pass pass pass. Pass to set up the pass….

I’m enjoying watching this offense more. It’s intellectually more intriguing and more fun. Also, there’s really no need to be triggered to a personal attack just because I posted something positive about the current Goff-led offense. Making the observation that we are finally balanced and near the top of the league in points, yards and explosive plays is irrespective of what your perception of my past opinions on Stafford or the past regimes

2 Likes

I never noticed that, because you just made it up.

3 Likes