Goff perspective: if he was a free agent next season

Me either. I think you attack, and take the max that the D gives you ( :wink: )
…if/when you have a big enough lead, you become a game manager.
I also think, when you play a team like Buffalo, you have to take what’s available as well…but when it opens, you have to attack it. The main difference in thinking is “attack”…that word is really important to me in football.

Our OL attacks well. Our RBs attack well. I still want more, and I think our entire team does too. Attacking mentality.

This is a fun conversation…I think it would be worthy of it’s own thread…

What is a game manager to you?
And see what everyone’s ideas and opinions are on that.

It’s not black and white, and has a shitload of gray area.

2 Likes

Well I agree with this team is fun to watch with a running game and a really good oline. And is very balanced right now and it has the best coaching I’ve seen to this point. Witch is also fun to watch, not having a system’s guy is great.

But you were complaining about people that think that’s Goff’s stats don’t tell the whole story.

Maybe you were only here Sense 20 but your opinion of Stafford was so strong and wrong. I may have put you in with the guys that been calling for his head for 12 years

1 Like

Well I’m not really complaining about anyone. If it seems that way then I apologize. You’re all my friends here and we’re all on the same team. I just said I think it’s peculiar when a QB has a game like he did Sunday that half the game day thread is calling for him to be replaced.

You can think my opinion on Stafford is wrong, but opinions are subjective so that’s not a helpful stance. You’re also welcome to your opinions and in general I enjoy reading them, regardless of how much I might disagree.

In short, if you’re ever in Portland I’d gladly buy you a beer, watch the Lions as we both cheer for Goff and a win

3 Likes

This will be a good test.
Road.
Against a nice roster.
Stadium that gets loud.
Against a team with hideous uniforms.
gonna be a close win for our guys.

p.s…when they come to our stadium, we are going to bomb their MF’n ASSSSSS!!!

Also it might have been around 2017 I started posting here. Was a member since the 90’s but always posted on Netrat’s before it became too weird and political there

This is a great board full of interesting cats and lively conversations. And I definitely spend way too much time here

2 Likes

Green Bay…Cleveland , Miami, Chicago , Minnesota , Cards , Saints, Raiders…

As others have pointed out, the pass protection was league-worst in week one, and it wasn’t outstanding last week. I think the narrative of Goff needing flawless protection to be effective is pretty dead at this point.

On the topic of run offense, my hypothesis at this point is that Goff needs to be in an offense that is schemed and called well more so than having a strong rushing attack per se. Goff ran a pretty effective shotgun / bubble screen offense in college, so I don’t think he’s allergic to throwing a bunch.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I think what Goff needs most of all is an effective offense scheme. He doesn’t improvise or freelance well. So, if the run game starts to become ineffective, I bet Goff will be fine if Ben’s got some good stuff dialed up and starts attacking the defensive in an alternate way. Conversely, if they just run ineffectively every first and second down and then want Goff to do just go “figure it out”, I bet that won’t yield a very good outcome.

We’ll see.

3 Likes

His completion % was low because of the 6 dropped passes, he would have been close to 70% if our receivers would hang onto the ball.

1 Like

Dude your cool we all have hits and misses, I I like reading all your post like you said some we disagree. And I think most are in Goff’s corner and would agree this team has been fun to watch, from a coaching stand to the players we have. I still think this is a very good roster that can beat anyone on a good day. I like this roster better then any. I still want to see more from Goff before I judge him. Hell the thing about player of the week I put up. When I argue with most here it’s like arguing with a friend or brother you disagree alot hell my brother and me argued all the time and called each other stupid at times.

2 Likes

…and his average pass travels 4 yards in the air
Lots of truths exist simultaneously
I se the biggest reason we are winning is

1. Dan Campbell (coaches)
  2. OL
  3. Swift/run game
  4. Brown
  5. Goff
    In that order.
2 Likes

I think you forgot someone. :joy:

fox GIF

3 Likes

LOL - As much of a badass as he is, they’re not utilizing hm much right now.
I know his time will come though.
Build the roster…put him in at QB ! :wink:

1 Like

Air yards per attempt.

I thought of Tom Brady when I read that post… because he was a highly efficient master of dink and dunk for many years in New England. So I looked it up….

Goff’s 7.7 air yards per attempt are equal to or more than about half of the years in Brady’s career.

Oh No Reaction GIF by Laff

2 Likes

Just to posit some thoughts:

Wins are a team stat but I think we all agree the QB is the most important cog in the offense. Everything moves through him and they make the calls. The are responsible for the chess match and the throws

The other positions on the offense can certainly significantly help or harm the QBs performance.

Take the Oline: If the Oline grades average, the burden of the win physically and mentally falls more on the QB. If the Oline is significantly bad, most can not overcome that obstacle. If the Oline is great then it should have a significantly positive affect on the QBs ability to perform.

Week one, before the Lions played after the Bills and Rams game, I said here that no quarterback would succeed given the amount of pressure he faced. I don’t put that loss on Stafford. I felt the same after our week one and turns out the Lions faced the most pressure in the league with Rams a close second.

Neither Goff nor Stafford are the types of quarterback that can overcome that kind of Oline breakdown. And who is - other than Allen, Mahomes, and Wilson in his prime? Those guys are able to transcend poor Oline play and make crazy throws from broken plays

It’s the same with WR play and RB play. In our case with Goff, I think he’s way smarter than McVey made him out to be and I think he can be the QB who wins playoff games for us with his head and his arm. But he’s not one of the rare athletes than can overcome poor play in front of him.

But this team - if it gets and stays healthy, can be a team we win a championship with. With Goff at its helm

(mixes more blue kool aid)

1 Like

My thread got hijacked! Only 2 responses to my question…

1 Like

Yeah these QB threads seem to go all kinds of crazy ways.

But it’s kinda hard to answer that after 2 games because it all depends how the year goes, if he plays well why trade him, but after what we did to Washington maybe they would want to upgrade on Wentz.

1 Like

If he gets cut… it is only gonna happen if things fall apart here.

If that happens… he is not gonna have a big market from any team as a starter… so he might end with a 1-year deal at a backup salary.

I think a more year interesting question would be….

If Goff keeps playing like he has for the past 6 games or so… and does that for 2 more years in Detroit…. without getting a contract extension…. how much money would he command if the Lions took their chances and let him hit the open market without a young heir apparent drafted in the 1st round???

Actually, Goff is 8th in Air Yards per Attempt and his Completed Air Yards is 5.4 yards. He’s ahead of Stafford in both of those categories (for reference), Jameis Winston is 3rd in the CAY category (for reference).
That stat really doesn’t show or mean anything.

2 Likes

Goff’s low completion % is at least as much a reflection of Detroit being tied for the league lead in dropped passes (9) despite only 71 pass attempts. If Lions receivers had the same number of drops that Rams receivers have (2), Goff’s completion percentage would be 68% instead of 58%.

4 Likes

I think Goff would be more in demand that a lot of people think. GM’s know that he’s better than half the league and maybe closer to a top 10-12 QB in this league.

I do think it’s hard to gauge where Goff is as a QB and if he’s getting better or worse. Most QB’s have a slow improvement and you can say, “yeah, that guy is getting better every year” but with Goff, he was in a Superbowl in his 3rd year, seemed to regress, and now seems to be getting better again but is he as good as he was in 2018 or better or worse, idk?

2 Likes