Goff vs Stafford last 3 Games

I’m a big Stafford fan and supporter…but he’s played poorly in 3 straight now.

I’m not big on Goff…he’s also played poorly this year.

1 Like

To me, the whole thing is funny. Cherry-picking to try to make a point.

Goff vs Stafford for the last 8 minutes. LOL. Who cares?

Rooting for Matt
Rooting for Goff
Prioritizing Lions - rooting for them first, and hoping we can somehow land the 2nd coming of Tom Brady.

6 Likes

The problem is that the offensive line and the defensive line of the Rams are getting their asses handed to them weekly and that makes everything look worse. Its a fundamental problem that Stafford isn’t going to be able to fix alone

I view it as a win/win because I was rooting for the Rams, but if they don’t play well we get a higher pick.

My biggest gripe about this is that this same thing happened to Rodgers for 10 years and they still won.

Big Matt fan and want him to do well when it doesn’t hurt lions but watching him this year has really made me think he can’t win big games.

Lots of season left to prove it wrong but hasn’t done so so far.

He’s a good QB that will win the games he should win and occasionally win ones he shouldn’t.

Qb’s in Rodgers category deal with same problems but STILL win more of those games.

We’ll see what happens rest of year

2 Likes

Really honest post. Good stuff, man.

I’m starting to see things more this way too.

1 Like

Actually… Josh had a chance to be the #3 for the RMs and Titans… but they decided he wasn’t good for that role.

He is a #4 type of guy for teams of that caliber.

3 Likes

The loss of their defensive coordinator Staley is often overlooked. They had the #1 D in the NFL last year. They also lost several defensive starters in free agency.

They have really struggled to stop the run. The Cardinals and 49ers are both built to run the football. The Rams could be in trouble down the stretch.

1 Like

Lol. I’d take him back in a heartbeat and they can keep their picks.

Shaub actually did it 4 straight games!

Stafford has 26 career pick 6’s, Rodgers has 3. Goff has 5, but he’s way younger and only throws the ball 5 yards max. In comparison, Brady who has played for over 20 years has 17. And Brett Farve is the leader of all time with 31, Stafford will clearly be number 1 eventually. Makes sense though because I’ve always thought Favre was the best comparison for Stafford. Gunslingers through and through.

1 Like

Rams tried to claim Reynolds again 2 weeks ago but Lions had a higher claim. They need him with Woods going down.

The Rams only have Kupp that is a lock in the system and he’s never made the playoffs. Van Jefferson is a good #3 that has to be #2 now. He’s a more spry Reynolds. OBJ has elite traits but is new to the system. That leaves their 7th rounder that has made a few catches but is not contributing like Aman-Ra.

Staley is good and better than Morris but the Rams did not have the #1 defense last year. It was helped statistically by 2 things.

1. Goff was doing super long methodical drives that ate clock. Their defense was on the field way less until they hit the Time of Possession leading Packers (who ate like 40 of the 60 minutes yesterday too).
  2. They often got leads on teams forcing them into passing situations where the Rams were awesome on defense. They were susceptible to the run but rarely had to engage in run defense because they were leading. Power running teams like the 49ers and Packers were their Achilles.

The Rams defense has suffered some CB issues this season and that has made their whole defense worse. In all 4 games they have lost, they got behind early, which caused McVay to abandon the run and let Stafford throw bombs. Their Time of Possession is plummeting and turnovers are increasing.

Stafford can make more wow plays than Goff, but Goff may be better at the 12 play time killing drives. The rams look pretty similar to last season to me with maybe a little more boom/bust on offense and a defense that is forced to stop the run and they struggle with that.

As to the offensive lines, the Rams have had their same line for almost 2 years in a row now. It’s a lighter and quicker line that is designed to stretch wide instead of power forward. It’s always struggled against power DLs like the Titans and 49ers have. Still it is a cohesive unit that can destroy teams with DL/LB weaknesses.

Goff on the other hand has had to play with 2 backup UDFA and a rookie. There is more power on the Lions line and we see that in the running plays. It is not a cohesive unit and has been up and down in pass protection making Goff not trust them at all.

I think the Lions have WAY more potential to have a great line, but with the guys in there this year, it would have been smarter to have a running QB back there like a Fields/Lance that could benefit from their run blocking.

1 Like

Check out the time of possession stats. Last year the Rams were #5 (52.76%) behind the Packers. This year they are #29 (46.7%) just behind Detroit.

In their last 3 games where they lost, the Rams are only 40.91% ToP. Against the packers it was 33.89%.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/time-of-possession-pct-net-of-ot#:~:text=NFL%20Team%20Time%20of%20Possession%20Percentage%20(Excluding%20OT),%20%2040.19%%20%2028%20more%20rows%20

That will kill your defensive statistics.

Time of Possession is a good indicator of how good your offense is at keeping the ball, though huge home run TDs can reduce that. It’s also a good indicator of how good your defense is at getting off the field.

3 Likes

Very good point. In the playoff game last year the Packers ran for over 200 yards. That seems to be plan for most coaches facing the Rams. Run it down their throats and hence why Shanahan has won 5 straight over McVay, soon to be 6.

2 Likes

Yes, and while Donald is an outstanding player, he rushes himself out of position at times leaving huge holes up the middle.

Especially in that playoff game where Donald had hurt ribs and couldn’t move. He was a liability in that game.

1 Like

That’s actually quite interesting. What a difference. Those quick strike bombs that Stafford hits, can in some ways exhaust your defense. IMO the Rams need to run the ball more.

1 Like

The Rams running game is really struggling without Akers.

2 Likes

Always appreciate your insight. I get that Goff isn’t Stafford but some people around here act like Goff has never played at a high level before….hell some act like he couldn’t play in high school. Personally I don’t think Goff is going to a pro bowl anytime soon but if we actually had legitimate receivers and an actual nfl offensive game plan he might look a little better.

4 Likes

The Lions are running the ball well and ToP is up, considering how poor the offense is overall. Get some more WRs and Goff can go back to 12 play drives. It’s not a fun way to win, but it does win as evidenced by the Rams 2020 season.

In 2018, the Rams had a high powered offense with Goff slinging it all over. They didn’t control the ball as long and the defense (under wade phillips) was all about turnovers so they gave up a ton of points but also took the ball away a lot. I think that McVay hated that and so he let Wade walk in favor of Staley. Games got tighter, but also more predictable for McVay.

2 Likes

It just is what it is Natty. Defended him up and down when he was here but now that I can watch him and not be emotionally tied to his performance I’m understanding the argument folks have been making for years.

Lots of football left to prove people wrong though

2 Likes