Goffs presser today - last answer is awsome!

hey , I am a fan of Stafford, and he finally got away from this broke-dick franchise and the clown show that ran it…may be different now? remains to be seen… but happy for Matt, Hopeful for Goff. and our team as it is now going forward.

hey you are going to eat your words this year. Lions go from cheesedick franchise to winners. I’m calling it.

1 Like

I feel the same way. I think our D will have a ceiling of lower-middle, and a chance to be awful. Our O will be make to look worse, if our d can’t succeed, as we are built to run. I still want help at RB, WR, and possibly G.

On D, I still want a monster pass rusher on the DL, as well as LB help. I’m okay with the defensive secondary being average-ish, and prefer to spend money and draft capital in the front 7. More pressure = everything must happen more quickly, and they have to cover for far less time, with a chance to jump timing routes. QB is just trying to stay alive and get home to his family, the way I draw it up.

Mark my words. The 2021 Detroit Lions will go down in history as one of the teams to ever play in the NFL. I would put money on it. :rofl:

3 Likes

must have money to part with…

Some more Goff fluff…

4 Likes

I say this as a 45-year Rams-fan-turned-Lions-fan: I don’t pretend to know what JGoff will do. He’s definitely not without flaws. He’ll make you scratch your head. He was no better than an average QB the last two seasons. And in Detroit he certainly won’t have the receiving talent out the gate he had in LA.

BUT. Believe this: his ceiling is higher than Matt Stafford’s and, in fact, top-5 in the league. I’m talking about: if I were to compile the 25 best QB performances - any team - I’ve personally seen across 45 years of NFL fandom, Goff would have about three of them. This kid has gone long stretches where I gasp. (In a good way.) Making throws most NFL starters wouldn’t even see.

Sean “the QB Whisperer” McVay absolutely killed this kid’s confidence - and Goff is NO “snowflake” - and THEN ran him over with the bus. Twice. *** that.

Listen. I’ve been in the Rams’ camp since Malavasi (late-70’s on). And VERY attentive thru the dog days of some recent s****y regimes. Linehan. Haslett. Spagnuolo. Fisher. That’s killer, especially in succession. But none of those guys left me w/the kind of disgust I feel for McVay. And I greeted him w/open arms and (of course) LOVED his first few years.

It sucks, cuz there’re a lot of guys on that team I absolutely love - Woods, Kupp, Big Whit, Hekker, Higbee, Henderson, Darious Willliams, AD (of course!)… If I could root for those guys while rooting w/every fiber in my being against McVay I’d do that. But it doesn’t really work that way.

So I’m all in on the JG bandwagon, y’all. Happy to scootch over - plenty of room!

8 Likes

Welcome aboard, my dude!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been watching a lot of videos on Goff lately. He’s made a ton of deep ball throws. Some of them 60 yards in the air. I was shocked at how long and on target his passes have been in comparison to the rhetoric I’ve been hearing about him. He seems to be much more accurate on deep balls than Stafford, because he consistently hits receivers in stride.

5 Likes

After you spend some time watching and getting to know Goff, it becomes pretty easy to spot out people who haven’t watched him but somehow have an opinion on him anyways. :rofl:

2 Likes

My perception is that he is more technical. He can make the throws…for…sure!
He needs more time, and needs to get set. Stafford could wing it from any angle while running for his life. If Goff doesn’t have to run for his life, I think he can be very good here. If he has time to set and throw, he will succeed here. We will run early and often, IMO. Swift will be hard to keep track of, because he’s going to be used in the passing game a ton. JJ is a huge x-factor. J-will is what he is, a very good backup, but not who you want starting. It’s possible that JJ surpasses him. Gonna be fun to see all of this play out.

2 Likes

I’m not sure. Look at this play. Goff has all the time he needs, even his RB throws a great block, then Goff is barely touched and he coughs the ball up.

I mean McVay’s scheme was brilliant, so you can see why Rams’ fans were over him.

3 Likes

Nice! and well put!

I don’t like to define a qb by just one game, but yeah that was a laughably bad game by Goff and the Rams in general. I remember they were praising Tua(his first game I think) and was like “he barely did anything!!!”.

Look, there isn’t a QB in the league who doesn’t miss on deep throws. That includes Goff. But this idea that Stafford obviously has more “arm talent” than Goff is nonsense. He might have a stronger arm - I truly have no idea - but Jared can throw it 70 and I think we can all agree that the best QB isn’t necessarily the one who can throw it farthest.

But this is part of why I’m so disgusted by McVay. It wasn’t enough for him to undermine Goff’s career by micro-managing him and trashing him inside the organization, he then had to trash his reputation with outsiders. As wesleysh21 says, it’s AMAZING (or maybe not so amazing) how many fans think they know what Goff but have hardly seen him play. (In fairness, he also has detractors among those who’ve seen every game of his pro career.)

This much I know: if, If, IF he can get his confidence and groove back, we’ll all be very happy. And remember: Brad Holmes was Director of Scouting when the Rams drafted Goff. He knows Goff as well as anybody. He and McVay clearly disagree about Goff - and I suspect Holmes will be proven the better judge in time.

7 Likes

I’m hoping the Spread principles help Goff out. I know one of the reasons he was drafted so high to begin with was his success in the spread. It’s just a matter of “can our receivers stay healthy and get separation”.

I think Anthony Lynn was definitely the right coordinator to bring in IMO. With that being said I will be cautiously optimistic.

2 Likes

There’s really no debate on whether Stafford has more arm talent. And you’re right, it’s not just about who can throw it the farthest. The thing that I really, really appreciate about Stafford and know that I will miss are the mid and deep outs where you really have to drive the ball toward the sidelines to beat the nearby defenders. Goff doesn’t throw as heavy a ball. His passes seem to hang a bit longer, which basically means there’s fewer open windows on those passes.

That’s just what I (some dude in the internet) see.

2 Likes

Same. He can rifle it from his back foot, moving sideways, all sorts of stuff like that. It’s not “normal” to be able to do what Matt can do. Goff is a totally different dude. He may be better at throwing from a pocket given time? We’ll never know, because Matt never had that luxury. LOL.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve watched both closely and because Stafford is stronger, he can throw off platform on a line. Aaron Rodgers is the same way, but Aaron also has more touch and accuracy when on platform.

Goff has an above average arm and top 5 accuracy/touch when his form is correct. When the platform is off or he loses grip (small hands), watch out.

One good thing fans will appreciate is that Goff can throw very well on the run when his form is correct.

4 Likes

That guy actually hit him in the neck with his arm. That should have been a 15 yard penalty.

1 Like