Good Lions draft day video

Personally, I think one of the smarter moves Holmes and Campbell have made is their efforts to engage the fan base and community. They are building good will, which is good because this is a business where if you lose the fan base you lose your job.

4 Likes

Loved everything about this video. Love this new regime and how open they are with sharing behind the scenes information. It’s refreshing . Also love Sheila and how The entire front office all collaborate together

4 Likes

They had a process and they followed it. They had players they wanted and they got them. Yes, fortune smiled a bit for them as well. I’ll take it.

I like the collaboration as well. This group is genuine highlighted by Brad and Dan. I thought it was cool that Mike Disner was calling in the picks and that he also closed the deal on Sage Surrat. John Dorsey did a good job of keeping them level. Well done Shelia! This is your team for sure.

2 Likes

Clearly Brad and Dan are the two main characters. But I loved the inclusive nature of this teams leadership. Shiela trusts, Spielman hangs around, input is given and received… Dorsey, Disney, Agnew… Shiela asked questions, but Wood I don’t think said a word. There is a lot in this video… I think I loved it all! I especially loved everyone’s reaction (led by Sheila) of the hard hat fans! I think she(ila) gets it… and I think she(ila) WILL turn this around!

2 Likes

Yeah, there was definitely a lot to take in with this video. Truly enjoyable. I appreciate their efforts with connecting to the fanbase. I think they are on the right track with their transparency and willingness to embrace their fanbase.

The Philadelphia trade down to No. 73 which cost them Alim McNeill at No. 70 being one.

3 Likes

Wow, that put the love for Sewell in a new perspective for me. Maybe everyone else understood the context of the celebration but I thought it was the typical one where they submit the card and then go high fiving eachother. I didn’t realize watching the video previously that they spontaneously got emotional the second Waddle’s name was announced to Miami because there was no doubt in hell who they wanted and were praying fell to them.

Every person wants to go into a new situation being wanted. And Penei should have no doubt how bad he was wanted here. I’m typing as I watch it…

7 Likes

And he replied with “You won’t regret it” Loved that response by Sewell.

3 Likes

That was a great watch!

Love the vibe they seem to have, it appears genuine!!!

Happy that Sheila let them do their thing!

Cool seeing Spielman lurking in the background!

Looks like it’s time for more dam kool-aid!

2 Likes

The only thing we need now is WINS.

2 Likes

Such a raw, honest moment. Great for that kid and his family. It will be good to see him get to work as a Lion.

2 Likes

That’s what matters most.

So it seems like the hiring of John Dorsey was even more important than we imagined. Brad and Dan are clearly emotional guys. And Dan brings energy into the room that Brad feeds off of. He needed the calming presence of Dorsey in the room. In the future Brad will learn to have his own voice as the one in the back of his head saying “calm down and let the draft come to you” but in his first swing at things it was great to have John Dorsey there to be the voice in the back of his head. I actually think Sheila in a way helped him as well because as she’s asking questions it makes him process the answer and then have to hear himself say it out loud. I know we’ve all thought something, but then when we say it to another person we are like “wait, that sounds totally different out loud.” :rofl:

I guess you can see why Amon-Ra is pro ready and not star struck over much of anything. He comes from a “pro” family and when you see a kid instantly getting a call from someone like Magic Johnson to congratulate him you know the family runs in some high level circles. Its funny that Magic was trying to tell him to party tonight and get to work tomorrow and Amon-Ra was like “I’m going to work TODAY!” The story about him catching off the jugs machine on draft day shows its not just lip service.

Its funny how they loved guys all the way down to the UDFA’s and Dan knew who each of them were.

8 Likes

That video shows why this front office and ownership feels different than any other year. Sheila brought in veteran talent to back up and support our new gm and coach. Having a guy like Dorsey is huge until Holmes gets more experience. He helped keep him calm and making rookie gm moves. Like letting the board fall to them and not trading up when we don’t have to. This is a huge step in the right direction for this franchise. Big props to Sheila ford hemp.

5 Likes

Aubrey Pleasant is quickly becoming my favorite of my favorite coaching staff ever. I really enjoyed the comments by Iffy about Pleasant and the advice Aubrey gave him.

I imagine he has given this advice to Okudah, Walker and the other DB holdovers from last year.

“You can’t be thinking so much that you paralyze your ability”

3 Likes

I like that Holmes identified a guy in rd. 4 who was important to them and he went after that guy as trading for a rd. 4 guy is worth that cost if you feel strongly about a guy. I also like that they didn’t trade up earlier and they let things come to them.

It really feels like this staff had a plan and a list of guys they liked and Holmes didn’t go nuts getting guys he liked earlier. Dorsey helped with that. I also liked how Holmes took talent and noted that early in the video how important drafting talent was to him.

2 Likes

I think it was WR Sage Surratt about whom Campbell said “If we get him, I’ll do a back flip” or words to that effect.

1 Like

One has to imagine that he and/or his family have seen this video.

It doesn’t hurt that he was a Lions fan growing up because of Calvin Johnson.

1 Like

Yup, for sure. Ownership has been so bad for so long that this could go unnoticed, but she is the first domino. She’s getting it right, and it IS different. Martha was an upgrade…and Sheila has learned from Martha’s mistakes. Loving all of this. Spielman 2nd domino…then Dan…Brad…next, next, next, SB(can’t wait for that one to fall)

5 Likes

Allow me to preface this by saying I am in no way predicting or assuming anything. I’m just as skeptical and “wait and see” as the next guy. However, with hearing these coaches and players and videos like this and so forth and so on…

…I truly believe that if this group accomplishes the highest of highest goals and ever wins a Super Bowl, there are going to be a lot of grown ass men (and women) crying, myself included.

Too much time has lapsed; there is no way 70% of Lions fans don’t have some sort of emotional attachment (such as my father, only three-years-old in 57 and a lifelong fan until he passed).

The Lombardi Trophy - should it ever fall into Detroits’ hands - is going to fall like a ton of bricks onto a bunch of people’s heart-strings. And my Kleenex is ready to go.

1 Like