Good Lions draft day video

One thing I found interesting was around 32 minute mark… they were talking about Jermar Jefferson.

Holmes mentioned analytics… and made a comment about Jermar having the 3rd highest play speed of RBs. Not really sure what factors are used to determine that ranking… but I have have posted a few times about how Jermar pulls away from DBs on his long runs.

Small bit of info… but I find it interesting to hear.

3 Likes

They’re getting either GPS data from the clubs or they’re using some other service that’s measuring their top speed (in-game) from tape.

At minute 32 Campbell asks Holmes “who you going after?” It is right there you see the true lines of leadership. Talk about collaboration you want but Dan knows he has a voice but this is Brad’s moment as GM and he adds his voice when necessary in this process. That was VERY interesting. Campbell didn’t mention anyone else and he didn’t say “are we going after player X that I like?” Campbell asked who he was going after. That lets you know right there that they share the mantle in a lot of ways but that in certain areas there is an area of responsibility and concerning the draft Campbell took a back seat and let Holmes drive the bus. My guess is this will flip when it comes to coaching the team. I found that VERY interesting.

I like Holmes using his knowledge of a deep WR class to get a guy he loves and to get value at the same time.

I liked how Holmes explained that Alim was the only true nose tackle in the entire class and we got him early rd. 3. That makes sense.

I like that we seem to have option in front of us with each pick and while thuis staff knew who we wanted (and we got) if a player we coveted was drafted before us I don’t think there would have been panic at all. The Lions followed their board, didn’t play it too smart, took an collaborative approach, listened to the voices in the room and rab a great draft.

The Lions didn’t take a draft chance on anyone. They drafted kids they knew, did their work on and know how they will use them. Not one moment of surprise, not one reach or one head scratching move. A real wow draft.

1 Like

In Holmes extended interview with Justin Rogers, he mentioned that there’s a third party service involved.

Q. You mentioned analytics, and one of the comments that was eye-catching this offseason was running back Jermar Jefferson having the third-fastest GPS game speed for running backs, which ran counter to his 40-yard dash time. Who provides that information?

A. "Yeah, you know, schools are utilizing GPS a lot more, especially the Power-5 schools. About three or four years ago, we started asking our scouts, when I was with the Rams, to start asking for the GPS data. Because it was kind of new, (schools) were kind of hesitant to give it out. Often schools are like, ‘No one has ever asked for that.’ I think it’s becoming a lot more liberal now, where they’re offering that information, where they’ll say this guy has hit this much on the GPS.

“There are companies that are providing speed analytics outside of GPS. With the Jermar Jefferson stat, that piece of analytic data that we use, that are actually a little more relatable to game speed, even further than GPS, that we’ve been pretty impressed with and we’ll continue to utilize.”

Q. So you’re contracting with third parties for some of this data?

A. “Yep. You know, it really hit, I want to say it was with Cooper Kupp.”

6 Likes

The more revelatory trade situation came with the Lions on the clock in the third round at No. 101 overall. Another team, which contextually gets revealed as the Jacksonville Jaguars, calls and offers Holmes compensation to move up and take the pick. The details are not specifically revealed, but they involve the No. 130 overall pick and additional assets.

“Go down to 130? Yeah, no, I think we’re just going to stay pat,” Holmes says politely.

The Jaguars later traded up from No. 130 to No. 121 in a deal that sent a package of picks each way between Jacksonville and the Los Angeles Rams.

The Rams traded picks 121 (4th round) and 209 (6th) overall to Jacksonville in exchange for fourth-, fifth, and seventh-round selections 130 (4th), 170 (5th) and 249 (7th) overall. That wouldn’t be the same package for the Lions pick at No. 101, of course, but that’s the kind of trade offer Holmes got. The Lions rejected the offers and happily selected Syracuse DB Ifeatu Melifonwu, who they were quite pleasantly surprised was still on the board.

1 Like

In Philly, the move was universally panned due to Milton Williams shortcomings in terms of production and arm length.

Absolutely loved the video. Was curious if some of the post-draft comments by the brass were lip service…Nope! Looks like they were targeting everyone we drafted.

I probably will too when I need a Lions fix over the next few weeks.

While that video stokes me, I understand the rhythm of the off-season and accept that virtually nothing will happen over the next few weeks, not even arrests with this group. At least Dallas and KC fans have that to look forward to!!

Just as the coaches and players need to chill and recharge as humans to bring their best effort on July 27 and onward, I need to do something similar, like go in low-power mode for a while. With this regime, there will be plenty of news to digest come training camp.

Still, I’ll reflexively check in here because habits are hard to break… :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Watching again now.

This group (especially this year), will show the importance of coaches. I feel good coaching matters at least as much as talent. This year, I expect some disappointment, as I always expect us to win. What will be exciting is watching us win the fist fight every week. We will go out and pick a fight…and win it at the LOS. I’ve never seen the lions win the Line of Scrimmage on both sides of the ball. It’s coming. It’s exciting…and it makes everyone else’s job exponentially easier.
Defense may be more improved than ppl think, despite holes.
-Strategy
-PHilosophy
-Actual starters on the DL (makes the back of the D’s jobs more easy)

While the OL should be really solid, as well as Swift/Willeams…
Defenses will stack to take the run game away.
WRs had better be able to get past press coverage quickly.
I expect a lot of Cover Zero early, until the OL and Goff prove they can handle it.
…but I’m not convinced we have to roster to expose teams that bring that philosophy against us.
…St Brown could be a possible X-factor here, with an outside chance for Cephus to thrive in that situation too.
…I think teams will do their best to take away Hoch and the run.
…Our pass blocking could look suspect this year, only because they may have to block for longer than we expect, due to lack of talent at WR

IF the WRs somehow manage to work out - Look the ■■■■ out. We could be better than ppl think.

1 Like

Almost forgot, and it’s important to say this, because I’m Sure it will go unnoticed all season…

They said Penei has “special feet.” Local Pedicure artists are ALL going to be wearing his jersey! Imagine their excitement when he walks into their salons!!!

1 Like

The only potential negative I’ll throw out there … you can say John Dorsey was serving as the calm voice of reason in that draft room. But you could also interpret him in there as subdued, maybe a little down that he’s not running the show anymore.

Next time you watch it, see if you pick up on any of that.

Maybe he’s just beyond the exuberance of first-timers, but to me he gave off a bit of an aura of unhappiness at not being behind the wheel himself.

3 Likes

Awesome video. I’ve never seen a team work together so well. Everyone has a responsibility and the final product shows it.
Conviction on every pick is really rare. As Wes pointed out, it went down the the UDFA’s. It makes you feel like a few of them have a real shot to stick with the team.
One person who seemed to have alot of influence was Dorsey. We might have made some ill-advised trades if not for him. Again - every hire had a purpose, and everyone did their part.
The only thing I couldn’t figure out was Spielman’s (non-) reaction on the Sewell pick. Im thinking he wanted Parsons? It seems that he went out of his way to NOT celebrate like everyone else. But, even if that was the case, it was a brilliant move making him an advisor rather than anything else. You choose to listen to an advisor’s view…or not. Maybe I’m reading too much into his non-reaction, but it just seemed odd to me.
Not to take away from the real positive vibes this tape gives off. Will they ever top this?

1 Like

Yup - he’s there for leadership and grounded confidence on the professional side. IMO, he does give Brad more confidence in the professional/technical side…but as it pertains to being the “lead energy” in the room…that’s Brad. Brad is the emotional leader that people turn to, more than anything, whereas Dorsey is there to help him see his own blind spot, and help him to assess his own decision making, as well as provide a 2nd/3rd voice. IMO, the other energies, Like Spielman and Dorsey (there for completely different reasons) are more tertiary, and while they do help with faith building and grounding (and manifesting), they are not the lead.
Spielman is to manifestation energy…in sending STRENGTH, good will, love, success, etc
as Dorsey is to the professional/technical side.

I’m more like Coach Dan. I am aware that I don’t protect myself enough, and that I get to bring in someone who thinks more like a lawyer…I’m aware that I need professional help (see what I did there?) in marketing, etc. I’m not the technical professional, and it is NOT my nature.

Brad, Dan, Office LBer, Dorsey, Sheila - they all bring a different thing to the table. I don’t see a real negative yet. I DO see some hesitation in some people
(Office LB’r, Dan, Dorsey, Sheila), but I don’t think it has to do with lack of confidence in what’s happening…I feel like it has to do with emotional hesitance to allow yourself to celebrate…worthiness stuff that is buried deep, combined with knowing the past of the organization…which carries a “Let’s not celebrate now, there’s a shitload of work to be done” attitude.

When Dan said to Sheila in a different video, “I’m gonna make ya proud,” I was moved by that. I can see his identity as a man, a football guy (player, former coach, and football brother), shifting to a “football son.” Dan’s identity is anchored to this team winning/losing. He WILL take it to heart. He’s a tough son of a bitch, who is well versed in pushing past pain and fear. Some of his walling off is necessary. He may/may not know this, but he is a FANTASTIC manifestor, and his passion and “willing it to happen” is going to be huge in mentoring these young humans that were teenagers a couple of years ago. He will teach them to “will it into being” because he is a friggin healthy alpha, and there is a ton of healthy energy on our staff…and in the locker room.

Trey Flowers has DOPE energy too, and I think some of those lower-tier leaders show up in ways that a stat sheet will never reveal. I believe Hoch is finding his way in this regard, and hope to see a lot of that in Goff too.

Coaching staff is DOPE.

2 Likes

In that article from Philly beat writers, Les Bowen not only mentions he would have rather had Alim McNeill over Milton Williams… but also named Iffy Melifonwu as a player he would have preferred.

He must have really liked the Lions draft!

3 Likes

The Eagles seemed to trade down just for the sake of trading down. Like “trading things is fun, let’s do it!” That move made little sense to me if they had a particular player they wanted.

2 Likes

T Williams with Kalif Raymond in motion should be valuable in those situations, and Perriman to a lesser extent. We’ll see.

1 Like

Rex Ryan is Penei’s #1 fan for that very reason…

4 Likes

I don’t recall Spielman having a reaction to any player. I took his demeanor as someone just taking it all in from a learning perspective.

Spielman is a guy who contains his emotions. He did it as a player, and also as an exec. He expresses himself physically through his actions. When Barry was breaking 50+ yarders, Chris was buttoning up his chin strap with a “time to go back to work,” attitude. Not much fist pumping, etc.

1 Like

Donahue said the worst part about it was that the Eagles already had three 6th Rd picks before the trade. It was unnecessary.

2 Likes