Great to see J-Mo Coming out of his Shell with the Media

Never was concerned with his draft night interview.

I’m to the point now where I know Brad isn’t picking players with motivation or attitude problems.

5 Likes

From that interview it seems like he’s exactly the kind of guy Campbell and Holmes want on the team. Just all about ball. It’s great to see.

On draft night he wouldn’t have ever considered the Lions would pick him. He knew he wasn’t going at 2OA, he knew he’d be long gone by 32OA and the Lions made no contact with him in the pre-draft process. So it must have been a huge surprise when the Lions drafted him, and he probably knew nothing about the team other than that they went 3-13-1 last year. Then all of a sudden people are sticking mics in his face asking him about going to Detroit.

Now he’s been in the building, been around his team mates, been around his coaches and been around a bit of practice and the difference is clear to see. He’s happy to be here, that much is obvious, and his attitude towards practice and work seems to be on the money. I think we might have a genuine superstar on our hands.

4 Likes

I liked that he was smiling a lot and confident in his answers. He is going to do just fine, and I love that he doesn’t want to put that football down.

6 Likes

Yup - same. Holmes smoke screened so well, the player was clueless and shell shocked when he got drafted. He didn’t know the coaches, had spent almost no time with any lions staff, etc.

He’s gotta get to know the staff, before he can fall in love w/them. Now he’s starting to bond with The Brotherhood, and he’s loving life. Brand new millionaire that loves football…and gets to play football to earn millions more.

Good for you, buddy. Have fun in Detroit. You have our love and support.
Also → Please shave your head.

2 Likes

I think it was.
Paschel will work his way into a Kyle VandenBosh-type production. Guts, effort, team leader.
Mitchell is going to be REALLY good. It usually takes TEs a couple of years, but he is a dual threat because of athleticism, and we’ll be able to do a ton with him.
Joseph is going to be a really nice starter, maybe even a pro bowler. He like to take the ball away, has great size, willing tackler, good athleticism, and seems smart.
Williams will be the best player taken from this draft.
Hutch → not sure what to expect from him, other than his best effort. Whatever his ceiling is…we will see it. Hope for some JJ Watt type production, but we’ll see.

This draft was AWESOME

1 Like

Justin Rogers from the Detroit News asked Williams about it.

Immediately after he was drafted by the Detroit Lions, wide receiver Jameson Williams showed little emotion in an interview with the NFL Network, and he was similarly subdued the next day at his introductory press conference at the team’s practice facility.

Human nature being what it is, it left many fans speculating Williams was unhappy to have been drafted by the Lions.

Williams laughed off that suggestion in an interview with Complex Sports the following week, blaming his low energy on celebration fatigue, and his nonstop smiling at rookie minicamp on Saturday seemingly served as confirmation.

“That’s just me,” Williams said. "It’s just football. I love football, so I’m going to be happy out here, ball in my hands or not. So on the grass, you’re going to see a smile on my face, for sure.”

I was never worried about the Williams reaction. To me, I was thinking the dude was probably in a form of shock. Like was said above, he knew he’d be drafted, saw the run on the receivers and probably was getting pissed. Then out of the blue he has his name called by a team that he didn’t even know was interested. In one moment, all of a sudden you realize everything you spent your life working for, just happened. Then has to make the walk out to a huge audience and do the dog and pony show, and his head was probably swimming. When they showed him out hanging out with the Lions fans and posing for pictures, I figured the shock of the moment was wearing off, and now he was letting himself enjoy it.

Warning, I am a history geek. One thing Josef Stalin said that is actually good advice. Stalin was sure he knew what Hitler was up to, and that he knew Hitler would NEVER invade Russia because there’s no way he’d be stupid enough to open a 2 front war. He considered Hitler a smart and pragmatic tactician. This is why he was so shocked when the Germans pulled their surprise attack. Stalin was sure the attack on Russia would happen only after the UK surrendered. After the war ended, Stalin later said “Never try put yourself into the mind of another person, because if you do, you can make a terrible mistake.”

I think when we see someone’s reaction and try to assume we know what’s going on in their brain, we can make terrible mistakes. We know how we ourselves would react, but what the other person is thinking/feeling/believing, could be a different story entirely.

8 Likes

Thats what Dan and Brad said they loved the most about the kid. He loves football. He loved playing gunner, even though he was the teams star receiver. His backstory is that his mom was forcing track on him and he had to negotiate with his mom to be able to do what he wanted to do most…play football.

Matt Patricia would have sucked the love of the game out of the kid.

5 Likes

I love the optimism, but let’s not get too carried away yet.

Hutch = Watt one of the best defensive players ever
Williams = Best offensive player in entire draft
Paschal = Vanden Bosch type who was a very solid pro bowl type player
Kerby Joseph = Pro Bowler
James Mitchel = Really good TE

Like I said I love the optimism and I would be absolutely thrilled if this all happened but your talking about having one of the best drafts in NFL history here.

I think Hutch has Yearly 12+ sack potential. I love Williams upside and I think he definitely has some Randy Moss to his game. His slight frame does have me worried though. I don’t see the high end upside in Paschal, but I also think he has a very high floor. Joseph is a wild card. I think he has some good traits, but he lacks the experience. He is more of a boom or bust type pick to me. With that said he was the guy I was hoping we would pick at 97 on draft day.

Mitchell seems to have nice upside for a 5th round pick, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t on the 2023 roster.

I would give this draft an A grade because we added really good players at critical positions of need.

2 Likes

You forgot to mention Rodriguez. I think he will be a starter on this D before years end. Smart, heady player that understands leverage and takes great angles. Great in coverage. He was the strongest (most bench reps) LB in the draft and it has been said many times he may have the best instincts in the draft.

3 Likes

Hutch was the guy I wanted to #2 since January so I was thrilled we took him. Jameson Williams was my favorite WR in this draft since January as well so I absolutely loved both picks. I honestly did not know much about Paschal before we drafted him. I like what I’ve read up on and so think guys like him can be invaluable. He should be a Corey Redding type player for us. Kerby Joseph was in play at #66 for me before the draft so getting him at #97 was good value. Rodriguez was also a guy I liked s lot in the later rounds. Didn’t know much about the rest of the guys we took but Mitchell and Houston seem to have some developmental upside.

3 Likes

Welcome Brother!

1 Like

Was it that he didn’t want to put the football down or as a rookie, he was not allowed to put the football down? We’ve all heard about the playful hazing the rookies can be subjected to. No matter the case, I like what I see relative to his demeanor on draft night - a relief of sorts.

2 Likes

If you love football, you want to play for our staff. Unfortunately if you love winning, you don’t want to play for the Detroit Lions. Hopefully this staff’s passion for football will lead to winning football.

2 Likes

Thanks man!

No - let’s get carried away. It’s fun!

That’s a hope, not a prediction. Nobody said he would be.

Book it! (at least until Willis gets more practice at the pro level)

He will be a KVB type. Hope he can be as productive. Think he will, but I don’t have the certainty around him that I do with J-Will

YES! Book it!

He’s gonna be a really nice player, if he stays healthy. Love the pick.

Loved all of your responses bro. Appreciate you taking he energy to do it.

2 Likes

Good Laaawwwd yes. Fantastic draft by Holmes. I think every drafted player, with exception of the CB taken in the 7th will have some contribution. I have no clue what to expect form Hutch or Houston, in terms of what their ceiling is.

I so badly want Hutch to be a freak sack master.

2 Likes

Not trying to put pressure on the kid, but I see him going wild early and often.

3 Likes

I feel like most of the dudes we drafted were actually TARGETED, instead of “this is what fell to us.” Amazing job by brad of not tipping his hand and also negotiating the trade. SO happy with our guys, right now.

One of the reasons I believe in the guys I made mention of, is who they are as humans. it impacts how you show up as a professional
I’ve taken a look at their energy, not only on the field, but in interviews too.
Hutch, is exuberantly excited, and high energy. His warrior/king energy will develop over time. He’s got a lot of pup to him still, and is learning to be an attack dog (energetically). He’s high motor, but the energy of his high motor is not straight up, “I’m gonna kill you guys.” LOL
J-Will is a friggin ASSASSIN. I DO say this because of his talent, but also his energy. His determination isn’t coming from a "try hard’ type of space, it’s more coming from a “bring it MF’rz type of energy.” Zero Joey Harriington Cheerleader to him…J-Will is a warrior when he steps on the field.
Mitchell - He’ s also a very masculine energy, but his energy is more easily influenced. He’s amore a nice piece than an emotional leader. he’s got the tough guy in him, but he can be knocked off center, energetically too. His energy shifts a lot.
Houston- Not sure what ot make of him, yet. I don’t quite trust his energy. He has a mean streak that I LOVE, but I feel like his warrior energy is movable and co-dependent on things goin a certain way.

I know I’m forgetting a couple of dudes. It’s occurring to me how tough Chark, Amon Ra, and J-Will are going to be mentally…Woooo
wooooo GIF

Our WR room is DOPE!
Hock’s health is going to be key this year, until Mitchell gets more experience.

I’m in love with what Brad and Dan are building here.

2 Likes

Hope you’re right, my man. I’d love to see him get a sack WAY early (first series he’s in the game), and build some momentum!

1 Like

Yeah hard telling. I just thought it was funny when reporter asked him about it. Either way, I love it.

1 Like

The DETROIT LIONS grew quickly on this dude. Nice job Dan-o! Jamo’s gonna be just fine!

3 Likes