Great to see J-Mo Coming out of his Shell with the Media

3 Likes

I’m glad Jameson loves Ocho and Randy… both were stud WR’s and I’m sure you can learn a lot from them about football.

However, maybe we can get J-Mo some better influences off the field!

2 Likes

I think he’s gonna do fantastic. I expect him to be very Moss-ish.
I just love how tough J-W is.
I have to admit 8-5 has MUCH better hair though.

4 Likes

On the filed, no concern. Off the field, we might need a better mentor than Moss.

1 Like

This thread has taken a couple of turns, so here another turn involving Kool-Aid:

3 Likes

Fantastic. He’s gonna tear defenses apart. Love that our guys get to practice against him too.

1 Like

One thing that I haven’t seen people talk about Is Sewell and Hutch going one of one in practice for the foreseeable future. They are both highly competitive and the his will be a iron sharpens iron scenario.

2 Likes

I hope you are right. I truly think Sewell would eat his friggin’ lunch 98 times out of 100. Love Hutch, but I don’t think he’s Sewell. If it turns out he is, go ahead and pencil us in for playoffs as a floor for THIS year.

1 Like

There were tons of posters who had that as their first reaction in the draft chat. I think part of Larry Warford’s early development was the fact that he had to face Suh, Fairley and Williams every day.

Steve Hutchinson credits John Randle for getting him ready for the NFL. He said Randle was such a handful in training camp that Steve started to wonder if he could even make it in the NFL if this “old guy” is kicking his ass every day. He said he got to the games and was like “this is it? Practice was harder than this!”

1 Like

Just saw this article, pretty cool and with highlight clips. Also not paywalled!

1 Like

Agree with everything in there except one thing --I think he actually does run through tackles and makes people miss more than he’s given credit for here.

Easily the most exciting player we’ve had since Calvin…hopefully since Barry.

1 Like

Right on dude. And I agree, this kid has some juke moves for sure.

The one thing a little concerning is his run blocking, or lack of it in the article. Not sure how big a deal that really will be though, and I’m sure they’ll make him better at it

He’s going to be constantly getting attention from double teams. His run blocking won’t be an issue. DBs are going to be shitting their pants every time they line up across from him. He represents potential points on every play. When he takes off downfield, DBs will run with him, and he won’t have to block them…he’ll just run them out of the play.

I recognize that once it’s obvious it’s a run, this could bro a detractor from his game, but keep in mind, he’s already run a CB and probably a S out of the play, or at least created some space…which is sort of like getting 2 blocks, if he’s double teamed.

On quicker developing plays, he will have to block sometimes.

2 Likes

Run blocking for WRs is one of the most overrated things in all of football. Its like a pitcher being able to hit for power. Yeah, its nice if you have it.

2 Likes

You are correct, sir!

Some guys pride themselves on it. I remember seeing Brett Perrimen show up in some of Barry’s hilgiths that turned 20 yard runs into 50 yard scores. I do think it’s overrated, but I think DC will be creative enough to use the strengths of his players, and J-W running DBs out of the plays is damn hear the same thing as blocking. He’ll use their strengths, instead of beating up his small frame on something that on an average play isn’t likely to make much difference anyway.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s overated. Too many WRs just arent interested, but I also haven’t seen many WR lay hits like Jaymo did as a special teams gunner. Blocking has a lot to do with attitude, it’s a memtality. I hope ASB can entice/teach Jaymo to be an effective blocker.

2 Likes

Its overrated in terms of what it actually means. Its a bonus trait, not a necessary trait. That was my point and why I made the analogy of a pitcher who can hit for power. I love it and so does everyone else. But its overrated in terms of evaluating a pitcher and saying “well he can’t hit for power, that’s a problem.”

Blocking for NFL WRs is definitely all about “want to.” The main case for why a WR needs to be able to block is how it contributes to long runs. I agree. However, its not “great blockinig” by the WR that makes the difference. Its the willingness to run down field and get in the way. I randomly typed in “long NFL runs” and here is the first result. Notice how the receivers contribute to the runs. One of the best actual blocks that sprung the RB was the one by Andre Johnson. But he would have probably been called for holding if he were a Lion, and since he didn’t run down and get in the way of the defenders…Arian Foster almost got caught from behind (the overall run depended on Foster’s speed after the Johnson block).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.