Greg Cosell on NFL draft prospects

Greg Cosell is one of my guys, one of the best draft evaluators and on this thread I’ll be quoting him on prospects in this year draft and also future drafts.

Jalen Carter

“I remember watching him play Florida and drove back OL O’cyrus Torrence like he was 190 pound junior in Highschool, dominate”

“ snap count increased as the season progressed and showed promising signs in that aspect”

Jaquelin Roy DT LSU

“ great array of traits, quickness… I think he’s a ascending prospect, I think it’s all there on tape.”

BJ Ojulari ED LSU

“ He rarely comes off the field… plays the run competitively. He needs to finish better when he gets near the QB.”

Myles Murphy ED Clemson

“ improved this year, numbers aren’t great, looks the part… in 2021 he looked stiff in straight line not loose hip, this year showed more bend and flexibility….”

Devon Achane RB/WR Texas a&m

“ for a guy 188lb he doesn’t go down easy, runs hard and I like his tape a lot”

Zach Evans RB ole miss

“ he’s pretty explosive, really good vision in open field… he can run away from people, work on patience, physical… big play back… special trait to take it to the house….

4 Likes

Anthony Richardson

“ A lot people saw what he did at combine, and alot people will disregard the tape, It’ll be interesting to see if that happens, it won’t surprise me if he’s the number 1 pick… biggest issue he has, hasn’t played alot football, Struggles to control the ball, by that I mean his ball placement is really poor. If you can’t control the ball, you can be good at every other thing But it’ll be hard to be a high level QB in the NFL if you can’t control the ball.“

CJ Stroud

“ His ball placement is pristine, natural touch thrower. He can throw with pace and touch, makes all the necessary throws. Does have good pocket movement for what he gets credit for not just the Georgia game…

Bryce Young

“ His spatial awareness is outstanding it’s very similar to Mahomes in that regard, the natural feel for where people are and his Awareness in the pocket and on the move he sees things with great clarity. The question that will be asked will be his size not the height, the frame. I’m not sure how I’ll come down on that But the kid is phenomenal“

3 Likes

The one QB I’d be actually happy about at 6 is Young. But his weight and height would certainly make me nervous. I’ve lightened up on Stroud after the college playoffs. Kid was really good. Those guys are NFL ready and seem smart enough to get our offense. Though Stroud did seem a little tone deaf in his combine interview

I can’t see drafting a project QB at 6. Give me the best DL or WR if they don’t like Gonzo

Stroud if I had to pick would be mine

3 Likes

Stroud is the QB I would take in a heartbeat.

Pass on the others knowing full well I can be a 100% wrong and probably will be.

I think he is spot on with regards to Young, how well will he hold up with his size and then add in his height. He will get hit more in the NFL than he did in AL.

AR and Levis all about projected upside.

1 Like

Exact same thing I’ve been saying on here about Richardson. Way too big of a risk.

5 Likes

I can’t lump these two together like this. AR is way more boom or bust than Levis is. Levis showed MUCH better accuracy against the same level of competition and has way more starting experience. AR is the superior athlete, but Cosell’s take is 100% accurate on the accuracy piece which for an NFL QB is probably THE most important trait to have and one you cannot hide if you don’t have it.

2 Likes

Levis 2021 tape was so much better then his 22 tape. He had Liam Coen and had more talent around him, in 22 his offensive line was shitty but idk he gives me Carson Wentz vibes.

This might help tamp those vibes a bit:

“I’ve been around a lot of quarterbacks,” UK recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach Vince Marrow said. “Will is one of the strongest arms I’ve been around. … Will came in the right way. He won the team over, did the little things. He was the first one in, the last one to leave. Just his leadership on the field, all guys started following him, even the defensive guys.”

“I think his personality is one that guys kind of naturally follow,” Coen said. “I think obviously you guys can see some of the arm strength talent and see some of the things he can do throwing the football.”

Here’s Cosell’s Scouting Report on Levis:

2 Likes

It Lions are taking QB who would be the guy you want them to take? Who’s your guy

Yeah I listened to this one, I wish Fran would have asked him what he thought about Roy’s testing, which was all-time terrible. He was one of the biggest losers coming out of the combine I thought.

Young/Stroud/Levis…AR…Hooker. (The system will not reflect all the dots I put between Levis and AR then AR and Hooker, but imagine there are A LOT of them…)

1 Like

I didn’t know that… damn it was that bad

He only did the agility drills, but with his style you would think his agility would be good. Instead he tested down around the 350+ pound nose tackles:

What about his personality and attitude? We could use to hit on a mid to late round DT

1 Like

Don’t know anything about it. Certainly if he falls far enough he’ll be a value, but don’t know where that would be. Nothing out there saying he’s a bad dude at least, not to my knowledge anyway.

2 Likes

The film looks different than the stats. AR has his issues, but alot of it has to do with decision making. Levis definitely has accuracy problems but statistically it can get buried because they run alot of gimmicky swing routes and screens that pump up his overall completion total.

1 Like

With all that has happened so far I would not be surprised if we took Levis at 6. Don’t think he will drop that far but we have 2 years to get him up to speed and his rookie contract would solve some of the issues of keeping our key players down the road. It is a long term view since I don’t see us drafting top 15 for a while.

I prefer Tyree Wilson if the draft falls somewhere near what is expected with 3 QBs and Anderson and Carter gone before we pick. I think he has more potential than Anderson to be honest. His size, length, and first step are great and I think Anderson (A STUD) has reached his peak. Especially with the talent around him at Alabama. I was hoping Cosell would have touched on him. I like Greg’s analysis.

AR’s completion numbers are also actually worse than the stats, because he missed so many wide open WR’s after he bought time and the defense broke down. I’ll repeat myself, there is NO WAY to hide 53%. There just isn’t. I can talk about all the dropped passes by UK WR’s who won’t sniff an XFL roster making Levis’ completion number look worse than it was.

The pro-AR folks are going to want to make excuses for what is a terrible part of the guys resume and being terrible there is usually a deal breaker. I’m not coming off being a no on AR at 6 because of it. If I’m wrong, per usual, I’ll man up and admit which side of the aisle I was on. If we draft him at 6, I’ll be convincing myself daily that his stats were worse because of decision making and with a year under Johnson/Brunell that he’ll be ready to storm the gates!

Also I’m pro Cancey at 18 even though no DT in history has made an NFL roster with arms that short. So I’m willing to gamble a bit…

2 Likes

I have to admit, I’m quite surprised you were so pro-Willis and are so anti-AR. I just figured you’d love both of them.

2 Likes