Greg Cosell on NFL draft prospects

I like Stroud. If he’s on the board at 3, I’d be all for the Lions making a move. That said if the choice were between Richardson and Levis, I’d take Richardson every time. I just don’t see it with Levis.

2 Likes

You seem to be against AR, which I am perfectly okay with. Go back to some of my posts on the guy. My post was more about pumping up Levis to be something he’s not. Here is some context of why I said what I said. Levis shit the bed against Tennessee. He went 16/27 for 98 yards and 3 INTs. That was actually a higher completion percentage than AR had against Tennessee. But here’s my point on Levis (forget the AR part). It was even worse than the stats when you factor in most of his completions (11 of 16) were manufactured out of the screen game. Check this out:

Screen #1

Screen #2

Screen #3

Screen #4

Screen/shovel #5

Screen #6

Screen #7

Screen #8

Screen #9

Screen #10

Screen #11

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get anywhere near Richardson or Levis if I’m an NFL GM.

4 Likes

I’d love to draft Richardson as a developmental guy where developmental guys should be drafted. 6OA for a guy who needs to learn the mechanics of the position will always seem cocoa puffs to me

4 Likes

He’s my 1OA. I’d take him at 6 if he answered my questions to my satisfaction.

He’s my favorite back in the draft. No one has been banging the table harder for Evans than I.

I think he’s the second best back in the draft behind Bjorn and I’d take Evans in round two before Bjorn round 1.

Only problem is both guys have some red flags and how they interview will weigh heavily.

2 Likes

Not at #18? KAaron fell to #24. Stranger things have happened…

That’s because Willis didn’t have terrible accuracy (64 and 61% his two years of starting). He had 48 passing TD’s to 18 INT’s. And his footwork was turrable. So my thought was, he has the wheels, he has the arm, he has the release, he is a great human, charismatic leader and the cast around him didn’t contain a first round RG and a WR and LG that will get drafted. There were the reports of how guys just gravitated to him at camps and Senior Bowl etc. I thought Willis was a 2nd round caliber prospect. In a very weak QB class in a QB needy league, with all of the above (plus the 2,100 yards and 29 TDs rushing), I thought he may go in that 10-15 range with someone banking on the toolsy upside. I was wrong. There is at least ONE “anonymous” AFC GM was lying his arse off saying he was going to be a top 10 guy.

For “us” to have taken him, I said at the time we’d have to trade down. I understood the argument about “if you think he’s good at 15 then why not at 1?” But I understood the risk, and demanded the mitigation of getting another positional starter in the trade or not doing it. Then I thought, we’d be able to sit him a full year w Goff, use him from day one in packages and protect him with our Oline and have weapons by 2023-4. In TN he was unfortunately thrown in the pool as a rookie and it showed. He also showed some positives to build on. He’ll settle down and when he does, we’ll see what he’s got. I know some are giddy to dance on his grave, but it’s too early for that IMHO.

I know a lot of the above can be said for AR. Plus you get the Florida product, not the Liberty product and all the other reasons why I view AR as the better prospect, a first round guy that someone will take a chance on in the top 10 more than likely. I don’t want it to be us. I’m not a hater though and I am not putting Willis above him as a prospect. I do see the allure though. He really doesn’t have a physical comp. He’s Kyler Murray at Cam Newton size.

3 Likes

Levis is my fav of what I’ve seen so far, but this strong textyear I have only looked at a few RBs & a little of what you guys post.

Stafford UGA

2 Likes

Junior season 61.4%. Sophomore season 55.7%. But to your point, Stafford’s accuracy was a downside and he struggled to crest 60% for his first 6 seasons in the NFL. 2011 being the outlier over that time. He got better and eventually the stars aligned for him. AR’s starting point is considerably lower. But maybe it will work out and he’ll be the one everyone will kick themselves for not trying harder to get.

1 Like

Stafford got more accurate as he gained experience. His first 2 years at UGA are the same as AR first 2 years at UF. Stafford had an additional year of playing time at UGA which is also the only season he had a completion above 60%.

2 Likes

I don’t see Levis and AR as being in the same category. I mean they are indeed both projects but you’re talking about vastly different tools. And Levis has loud tools. Richardson just has historic tools.

1 Like

Yeah but what about his vertical?
Trying-not-to-laugh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

Uh… no.

AR threw TWO passes as a Freshman. Stafford played all 13 games as a Freshman throwing 256 passes. AR threw a whopping 64 passes as a Sophomore. Stafford played all 13 games and threw 348 passes. If you want to compare them, compare the two when they actually started. For Stafford, he had a bad Freshman year, but at least he started as a Freshman in the SEC. When AR finally played and had a full season… 53.8%. Stafford was 52.7%, 55.7% and 61.4% respectively showing big improvements between years one and two, and two and three. That is why you feel much better about taking Stafford at 1OA than AR in the top 10. Stafford had a ton more experience and proved he could improve his game. AR is much more of a projection as a passer. He is also the most fascinating physical specimen we have ever seen at the postion. Stafford well…

1 Like

Don’t compare Stafford to AR, holy shit lol. Stafford’s passing is light years better. He was an elite thrower in pewee football, he was just made to be a professional QB. He was projected the #1 overall pick as a freshman and never failed to live up to expectations. AR is a complete unknown in so many facets. If someone wants to take that gamble, better for us because that means they’ll probably be moving up in front of us which raises the possibility of Carter or Anderson falling.

2 Likes

I think a more fair comp for AR would be former OSU QB Terrell Pryor. Pryor was 6’4 and he ran a 4.38 so he had similar athletic skills. Pryor was a much better QB in college though. He won 2 big ten championships and his final year he threw 27 TDs and had a 65% completion PCT. Pryor did have some success in the NFL with 2 yrs of 1,000 yds receiving. Maybe AR can have the same type of success.

I’m still taking Jalen Carter if he’s there at 6

5 Likes

I would too → but also → I’m thankful Brad is making the decisions, not me.

1 Like

That interview showed a complete different guy than the one many of us stereotyped after the car incident. Holmes has some work to do. Seattle just signed 2 DTs but he looks like a fit for Pete Carroll.

I can’t emphasize enough how important I think drafting a DT early is. At least in the 2nd round. IMO, it will make a world of a difference.

As far as the QB’s go:
Young - I wouldn’t draft him because of his size(height, and weight). Plain, and simple. He is an extremely good college QB. I’m just not sure about him in the NFL. At best I see him like Tua.

Levis - I think with Levis you’ll get a good QB. But down the road it will be questioned whether he is good enough. Like Derek Carr.

AR - This is a hard one man. The potential is too high. Speed, power, 6’5, 240lb’s of all muscle. His flaws can be taught. Boom or bust for sure. But too hard to pass up.

Stroud - I have no reason to believe that he won’t be an elite QB in the league. If he keeps working on his craft. Reading defenses, game managing, right decisions, etc. What does a QB need to do well? Throw. This guy throws the ball with perfection. His accuracy is threw the roof. And that is the most important trait for a QB. Pocket passers is what makes a QB elite. Everything else is a bonus. He’s the guy I would trade 6, and 18 for. Only because BH has had a fantastic off-season. With two 2nd rounds picks he can afford to do it.