Help me understand the appeal of Trey Lance

He played one year in the vaunted Missouri Valley. Yes, his highlight reel is impressive, until you squint and see one of the opponents’ end zones reads, “PENGUINS.”

The goddamn PENGUINS.

I don’t get it.

Someone help me.

3 Likes

He represents a daydream. He will come in on a rookie deal and immediately start turning heads and show promise. Then the lions will figure out how to draft and put a team together with all this newfound money they have bc of his rookie deal. The lions will build a contender around him and he will lead them to Superbowls and respectability.

But then the daydream ends and the nightmare sets in when you realize this is the Lions we are talking about.

3 Likes

He’s a smaller school Justin Fields.

Makes total sense. Thanks.

1 Like

And don’t forget all of the magic beans they get from trading Stafford.

3 Likes

6-4 225lbs

24TDs 0 INTs 14 rushing TDs Freshman year that will get some hype going!!

against who again?

1 Like

Obviously that’s the concern, otherwise people would be talking about him going #1. Still an intriguing prospect.

Not over Trevor Lawrence.

Intriguing gets you top 5 picks every year.

There is undoubtedly some lottery ticket appeal to him, but that’s true every draft, at every position. Traits tantalize, and Lance has got those in spades.

He’s often comped to Josh Allen and I can see it. He doesn’t have Allen’s arm strength but he’s more accurate and more athletic too. His decision making appears to be better as well.

And like Lance, Allen’s competition in college wasn’t any good. The couple of times he played good teams he was awful. And they aren’t the only ones. Phil Simms, Kurt Warner, Steve McNair, Tony Romo, Rich Gannon, Doug Williams. A majority of the defenses Mahomes, Mayfield and Murray shredded were scarcely better than high school defenses.

Factor in the rumors of Lance’s legendary work ethic, and he’s an easy guy to like. I wouldn’t draft him unless we traded down, but he’s got the intrigue, for sure.

3 Likes

Phil Simms didn’t even play well against bad teams in college. He was definitely drafted on his upside. :joy:

Why is this guy from Mississippi Valley State being drafted in the 1st round??

Yes, he put up stats. But it was against teams called Washburn, and Langston University (???)

Talk about a reach.

Good luck with this Jerry Rice guy.

I have no idea if Lance is going to be great, or even good. Good scouts can find great players anywhere.

1 Like

meh who cares, draft the QB and give people the illusion of change :rofl:

2 Likes

Tons of good players have come from lower schools where they play against lesser talent. Khalil Mack, Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Allen, Randy Moss, etc. Its more about skills. And if they came from a lower conference… did they look like they belonged in a different conference? Lance has a really good arm, exceptional athleticism, and seemed like he had full command of an offense where he made progressions and in which he never turned the ball over. Those are all big time traits to have. You have to make more projections with less certainty… but his 1st round talent is there for sure.

1 Like

Its the same school Carson Wentz went to

The QBs at the combine are going to be fascinating this year. I hope they all show up.

Otherwise, their pro days will be interesting.

Trey Lance and Josh Allen went to the same college (North Dakota State University).

Trey Lance’s appeal is that he’s a elite athlete with great (not elite) arm strength, solid accuracy and good decision making.

Did he play against the best competition? Obviously not but he’s got skills and gifts that others don’t have.

If he’s the pick, he’s drafted based on upside.
His upside is that he could be an effective runner like Lamar Jackson but be able to throw like Andrew Luck.

Please don’t read between the lines and think that I believe he is Andrew luck and Lamar Jackson’s love child, but I think Bienemy or The OC from Buffalo could probably coach this kid into a winner.

Impossible to say though. QBs in any round are a roll of the dice.

2 Likes

Allen went to Wyoming, you are thinking Wentz

2 Likes

Because hes new ? Maybe

1 Like

Easton Stick is a backup with the Chargers, he also went there. Lance will be the 3rd QB taken from there in the last 5 years, but he won’t be riding the bench. The best thing that can happen to him is to get drafted by a team that isn’t looking for a total makeover. He ran for 14 TD’s and passed for 28 with no int’s in 2019, he’s mobile and doesn’t turn the ball over and has ideal NFL QB size. He will start on Sundays in the NFL, just a matter of when.

1 Like