Help me understand the appeal of Trey Lance

Kenny Golladay played at NDSU. Justin Jefferson wasn’t recruited by big schools either.
Kids develop at different rates.
How are all the big 10 QB’s from the last few years doing in the NFL?

Would you rather have Shea Patterson or Trey Lance?

Golladay played at North Dakota, not North Dakota State. Then he transferred to Northern Illinois. Joe Dahl started at Montana and transferred to Washington State.

Aaron Rodgers wasn’t recruited coming out of high school, and ended up at Butte Community College before being able to transfer to Cal. As the story goes, the coach for Cal was there to scout someone else when he noticed Aaron.

Pretty much. Arguably a better athlete and decision maker. Most certainly on the latter. Just from the eye test Fields seems to have more arm talent but Lance is intriguing for sure.

Nothing to get. Some team is going to think he is “it” draft him way to soon and within 2-3 years we will be asking “whatever happened to that Lance kid”? Historically, QBs with that skill set are not consistently successful in the NFL. They light it up for a year maybe two than defenses figure them out and they are exposed as being unable to do what QBs are supposed to do, make plays from the pocket. QBs that cannot do that consistently do not have long term success. Consider the last several Super Bowl winning (and losing) QBS:

Mahomes: able to escape the rush and extend plays but consistent pocket success

Brady:
Wilson: same as Mahomes
Brees: admittedly been awhile but Brady accounts for so many wanted a bigger sample size
Rodgers
Rothlisberger

These are also, not coincidentally perennially the highest rated QBs (typically) in the league. To date no QB in the mold of a Trey Lance or Justin Fields have played in (let alone won) a SB (Vick, RG3, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray). The closest you can come is Donovan McNabb or Steve McNair but I would argue that their success came primarily from the pocket. Lamar and Kyler are exciting to watch but if they are contained to the pocket they are far less effective and as rapidly as defenses evolve and adapt they will be contained to the pocket much more often, not to mention having to be in “pass-first” mode when having to work from behind needing multiple scores. Hard pass on Lance and Fields

Yup it was Wentz, my bad.

Wow, you’re just way off base with your assessment, have you ever watched him play? I already know you haven’t, because he operates from under center half the time, executes PA well, stands strong in the pocket, can throw with accuracy on the move. I love the kid, not just because of his abilities on the field, but his mindset and toughness are next level. I honestly believe he’s going to be a stud in the NFL and I’d love to have him on my team. Yes, he can run, which is invaluable in today’s NFL, but he’s an excellent thrower of the football.

3 Likes

Lance’s skillset is the same as Russ Wilson’s when he was coming out of college…

1 Like

Picking a QB to develop is a whole lot different than watching film only. His emotional makeup, mental makeup, leadership, work ethic, focus and vision all need to be quantified. It is the one position that you want someone that is a leader and has the real motivation to be great and not just get paid (see Winston, Russell, Newton, Vick, Bortles). If a guy like Lance has the ability and makeup, the level of competition is not an issue. Can a guy confidently make throws before players get open and accurately enough to avoid turnovers?

I agree, but Wilson did not become the franchise QB he is until he began making plays more from the pocket. In the early days of his career the Seahawks relied on Marshawn Lynch and their defense. As Wilson’s style of play evolved they came to rely on him more.

Trey Lance is definitely a player but in the NFL, coaching is key!!! With the right coach he will be good but with a lousy coach he will be bad but a lot will be motivation on his part. Does he have the drive to be great??? If so, I would love for the Lions to take him but I would want him to be surrounded by the best young coaching minds in the game who can nurture is ability

Wilson was always a good pocket passer that used his legs as a bonus.

Which still proves my point. For an NFL QB to be consistently successful in the league they HAVE to be first and foremost consistently successful from the pocket.

I believe that Easton Stick may be the better of the two and he didn’t go until the 5th. He just got 2 seasons to sit and although he lacks the size he does have the tools. Stick came in when Wentz went down and NDSU didn’t lose a game. He went on to have a 49-3 record, best ever in FCS. I have stated before that I don’t think this is a great draft for QB’s, we’ll see. If you need a WR or RB you’re in luck,and actually some pretty good LB’s.

When was the last QB draft that was better in your opinion?

Pick a year. I mean what does it matter? What matters is who is in this draft. The truth is that very few QB’s make it as starters in any given year. I don’t see this group to be better than most given years, in fact it’s the same hype we see about QB’s all the time. Top 2 and the also rans except this year more teams are in serious need and it’s going to elevate players into the first round that I don’t happen to believe are first round talent. I know you don’t agree so I guess we’ll know when the rubber hits the road.

That’s basically Kyler Murray as well.

I haven’t watched Lance that much but I like what I’m hearing about his mobility.

What I’m asking is compared to what? You say this is a weak QB draft and by most draft analysts’ accounts it’s one of the strongest in a while. I was just curious which recent draft you thought was a better QB class.

2017 for sure. Last year was suppose to be epic, it hasn’t been so far but that’s part of the problem. I think some guys were correctly evaluated with re to skill set but busted because they had no time to adjust to the NFL. Then you have guys like Tua who, when healthy, was suppose to be a once-in-a-generation pick. Lance started one season, I think he’s a game manager candidate. That’s his ceiling IMO. There’s nothing wrong with that, basically that’s all Flacco was. Get on a team with a good D, don’t turn the ball over and good things can happen. We’ll see when they all take the field, or don’t.

Lance looks pretty impressive in his highlight films. Yes the competition is poor, but kid is fast, tall and accurate while slinging it way downfield. Reminds me of a young Warren Moon when I watch the film