Here’s where I’m at with Goff

Few have been harder on Goff than me.

I’ve never been a fan.

Until the last few weeks.

Am I sold? No. Scott Mitchell once shredded the league with the Dolphins; we gave him a massive contract, expecting he’d be “the one,” and the rest is history. Other QBs more recently have gone on similar streaks, only to ultimately become who we thought they were. I’m looking at you, Case Keenum.

So no, I’m not sold. The body of work needs to be bigger than five games. The koolaid is great until it runs out of sugar.

Goff has five games to make me a believer. I’m not looking for perfection. I want to see him be solid, and make a throw or two that can become a potential difference. I want to see him go into an environment like New York or Green Bay and put up an admirable performance.

And I’ll be rooting like hell to eat that crow.

15 Likes

I think Goff has done enough to be the starter in 2023. Only way I would change my mind is if the Texans win two more games and the Lions can get Bryce Young as I am very high on him.

To me though, if Goff can prove he can play well on the road consistently to close out this season, I would be a much bigger believer.

5 Likes

In 1995, Mitchell actually did it with the Lions.

4338 yards passing. 32 TDs 12 INTs.

Barry had 1500 yards rushing, 398 yards receiving & 12 TDs overall

Herman Moore had 123 catches for a then record 1686 yards & 14 TDs

Brett Perriman had 108 catches for 1488 yards & 9 TDs

Johnnie Morton chipped in 44 for 590 & 8 TDs

The problem is that Mitchell was a one-hit wonder. He never came close to achieving that kind of success again.

Goff has at least led a team to the Super Bowl and had a couple very good years getting there.

14 Likes

I’m glad to hopefully have you on the bandwagon…. Or near it. Lol

Why doesn’t what Goff did in 17-18’ count? He didn’t slide into the playoffs like young Ben or Eli while only throwing 17 TDs all year, or leading the league in picks (Eli). Goffs year 2-3 production and wins was on par with Burrow, Herbert, Allen etc….

A big arm highlights some WOW plays like we see from Herbert…. I’d argue the Chargers are in the top 16 in the NFL in talent (albeit dealing with injuries) but he can’t get them to the playoffs? Looks like 0 times in 3 years?

I think you will see Tua fold up by year end despite playing with a top WR tandem…

4 Likes

You watched perfection today. I truely believe he has been stigmatized by McVays dislike in him. In reality Mcvay Failed Goff and also couldn’t say he was wrong. I loved Stafford. But there were always those times in big games where he would wildly miss a wide open receiver and turn the ball over on downs in big games. Hard to really compare but I like Goff better then Stafford now. Granted, this WR group is dam good but Stafford had #81 too. The Stigma is the problem. If you can get over that you will see a top QB in this league in Goff.

8 Likes

The better the team, the better Goff is going to look. He’s a pros pro that can follow a system. You don’t want to see him on a bad team with a bad o-line though.

5 Likes

Even Stafford proved this season that he can’t carry a bad team with a bad o line (like he used to when he was with us).

5 Likes

I’ve seen D Watson on a bad team with a bad OL-
I’m watching Rodgers on a bad team with a bad OL
I just watched Stafford on a bad team with a bad OL

Goff won 9’games on a Rams team with the #31 OL and a below average D…

Stafford went 1 and done in the playoffs with his best Detroit rosters… and he won 3-5 games with others.

No QB elevates shitty rosters to division titles… none.

But good teams elevate shitty QBs all the time. See Foles, Keenum, Dilfer, Etc

8 Likes

I was gonna post something similar in a different thread but didn’t want to get into it.

But I agree and posit:

Is it possible that if geno smith went to another team that he would play as horribly as Russell wilson when he left the team and the actual driver of success is Pete Carroll? (Or like how mostly any QB stepped on the patriots and found success.)

Then is it possible that Jared goff is a product of Ben Johnson and another quarterback could do the same but better if he had a little extra talent?

Not faulting goff he’s definitely executing WAY beyond my expectations. But I think Ben Johnson is THAT good.

I don’t mind if BJ is good and making goff look better than he is. But I def need to see him come through in the clutch. That’s what real franchise QBS do.

4 Likes

Goff is a superbowl QB. He has the 2nd fastest pass release in the NFL and is why he rarely takes a sack. Today he spread the ball among 7 different receivers. Yet everyone wants the shiny new object.

13 Likes

The great thing about Goff finishing the season strong, assuming he does, it takes the pressure off having to reach for a QB early.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that, given the teams strengths now, Anderson or Carter would be a much bigger net positive than a young QB

I’d actually like to draft Bijan with the second first, I’m normally against taking a first round RB but I love this balanced attack and Goff and Bijan could be the new Goff and Gurley. You don’t often come across 220 lb RBs who can move laterally, break tackles, run advanced routes and block well

We have a great offensive mind in Johnson. Lets goooo

11 Likes

And next week it will be 8. Welcome to the NFL, Jamo.

8 Likes

I don’t know about that. I think Young has superstar potential. I don’t know that we even have a spot for Anderson with Houston looking so good. And 1 game from Carter was very exciting but it does make me ask why he took all those other games off. I know the difference between a guy injured and a guy not trying very hard.

3 Likes

This!!!

So weird that Brady, Rodgers, Stafford have somehow gotten passes this year.

It seems like most have finally turned on Russ, and oddly enough the running QB is hurt again in Baltimore. My guess is the same will be the case for Fields again in the next 1-2 weeks…

Brock Purdy just bear Tua. Lol

3 Likes

I pride myself on trying to speak the truth… and Goff is way better than I ever expected. I was wrong for a lot of what I said. Give him weapons and he’s very good.

Compare year 7 Stafford to year 7 Goff. The Trade is looking better and better…each passing moment.

Did you know… Goff’s last 16 starts as a Lion, he’s 8-8.

7 Likes

Same page.

Bryce Young will not wins as many nfl games in his career, as Goff already has. Mark my words.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t pass on Anderson for Houston just yet. I also really like Young but let’s see what his measurables are at the combine. I’m not sure he can hold up to the NFL

1 Like

I want to see him complete passes in a game script where throwing the ball is the only option.

That’s the only thing that makes me nervous with him, in must pass situations I feel like he throws up on himself.

No matter how great your defense is you will eventually have to throw to win when the other team knows what’s coming

1 Like

You had to appreciate the 41 yarder to Chark. That was a dime!

6 Likes

New guy here. JG16 is my guy. Last year started off on a bad note, injuries, switching the O-line around, Goff got creamed a ton. He tries to over compensate and makes mistakes.

This season with an OC like Ben Johnson, he’s learned how to temper that side of Goff. The last 3 games he’s look calm, cool, and collected. Hell, today he actually had some decent moves when no play was available to avoid a tackle, and got the ball back to the line of scrimmage to avoid taking a loss for yards.

Replacing him for next year is pointless. No matter how good the defense has been playing, we are badly lacking at cornerback. Put those 2 first round picks with a CB and defensive lineman, and we shore up a lot of holes.

13 Likes