Here’s where I’m at with Goff

Let me be the first to welcome you to the board.
A lot of us have been hanging out together (on here) for over 10 years. Some since the forum started.
You’ll have to excuse us grizzled old farts, we’ve been arguing football since the turn of the century.
Then there are the newbies. They’ve only been around a few years.
New blood…er, friends, are always welcome.:rofl:
Seriously, I hope you will enjoy the banter and become a regular.
Btw, this is the “original”, “Den”.

6 Likes

One major thing to remember though about this is Ben Johnson is ALREADY now listed as a young fast rising up and coming HC candidate. If Goff continues this play and the offense keeps producing as it has for the rest of the season he MAY not be around next year.

2 Likes

1 Like

He was the #1 pick and has been starting in the league since 2016. People who actual follow the game know what he is. He doesn’t need to string any other games together to prove anything to you lol This is silly.

4 Likes

While I really like Bryce Young I simply can’t see him holding up in the NFL. Whatever about his height, his frame is just too slight.

I think Goff has played his way into being the starter in 2023 - i think he is an above average starter who has improved a lot compared to the low confidence statue reading plays off his wrist we had for the first half of last season.

I’m starting to think that it might be worth taking a flier on someone like Anthony Richardson if he is there on day 2 and let him sit for a year or two

As opposed to all the NFL QBs who thrive on bad teams w/bad O-lines?

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Campbell isnt going to sign off on building this culture…this creation, then dumping the leader of it and grafting in an unknown control unit, hoping it turns out better. The more likely result is something Abby Normal happens, or to say otherwise, SOL.

Gene Wilder Nonsense GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

Really?

I promise you, when the draft season kicks off and the team’s needs are listed, QB will be on many of the national outlet’s lists. Whatever our good feelings are today, Goff is still seen as a limiting component to the offense by many outsiders and some of our own beat writers.

That pretty much sums up where I’m at. Goff is fine for where we are at right now. I don’t think we should end the search for a franchise QB though. But having said that…with Goff I feel like the worse we’ll be (as long was we have Johnson) is Titan-ish or 49ers-ish. There are worse things for sure.

To make me a believer, Goff is going to have make some throws. He’s going to have win some games with his arm when things aren’t going right. Everything went perfectly for Goff yesterday. He was what everybody always said he was. A guy who was super good when you give him weapons and protection. Now lets see if he can take the next step.

I will also tip my hat to Brad Holmes who has seemingly understood what Goff was from the word go and never tried to pretend he was more than he was - and credit to him and the coaches for tailoring a system to Goff’s strengths. They knew what they had and they knew what sort of offense he would thrive in.

3 Likes

I think he’d be foolish to leave this situation now
He’d be wise to get more experience here and possibly get to a Super Bowl or Conference Championship— really get the market for him at a fever pitch.

At that point he can find a good gig and has had time to assemble the right people to work with him as HC

For him, what’s the rush?

2 Likes

Big difference is that SM threw as many ints as TDs. And ALWAYS at the crucial time.

2 Likes

Body of work is bigger than 5 games. Goff is a 2 time pro bowler.

5 Likes

I feel like with our offense, if we can upgrade our defense through yhe draft and free agency he can win us a decent amount of games.

He’s solid. Not special but solid.

If we use our first 4 picks on defense, maybe get a very solid player or two in FA i think this will be a very, very competitive team next year.

I think next year with Chicago and Green Bay taking steps backwards we challenge for the division.

In Jared Goffs 17 start with either Johnson or Campbell calling the plays…. We are 8-9 and Goff has……

4,200 yards 30 TDs and 9 ints with a 100 plus rating!!!

Much of that was playing without 2 starting OL in most games…. Plus guys like Netflix, Benson, Hodge and Kennedy getting run….

Even with our recent improvement our D is still bottom 10 over those 17 games….

So if a QB can post those numbers, and go .500 during a full rebuild, and with incredible amounts of injuries…. What else do we want?

The guys is 8-2 in prime time… 3-3 in playoffs and when he has “decent” players he wins…

8 Likes

If we really wanted to help out Goff, we would change all of our practice fields to grass and get a grass field at Ford Field. Why? He’s clearly good with good weapons but the problem has been keeping those guys healthy. The entire offseason needs to have a major injury prevention initiative and that’s where it should start.

3 Likes

It’s like you crawled into my head. If we can get Bryce, I’d move on. Otherwise, I don’t think we can do better. (F that Aaron nonsense. He wouldn’t dare come here. And I’m not sure I’d want him)

1 Like

But wait, I’m not convinced Goff is the guy until he also plays DB. I’d really just like to see him be dominant on both sides of the ball before I make up my mind. Also he needs to rescue some people. Like run into a fiery crash and pull out at least three children and a nun. If he can manage that, then maybe I’ll be convinced

5 Likes

Also, given the options we’re probably going to have likely won’t be better than Goff, I’m ready to give him 2023. If he plays good next year we start talking about an extension.

He played by far his best game as a Lion on Sunday.

2 Likes

I’d take Aaron for free (ala Brady and Peyton) but I wouldn’t pay for him (ala Stafford, Wilson, and Watson).

2 Likes

Johnson is 1 season removed from being a TE coach only.

He graduated from pullet to spring chicken.

Colonel Sanders will come a callin, but not for another season or few.

5 Likes