'He's Really Advanced': Lions Mekhi Wingo Impressed Coaches

I did qualify it with “absolute ceiling” and “if things go well.”

If you keep comparing 6th round picks to hall of famers… a mandatory koolaid breathalyzer is in your future to post again. Pretty sure the AI is working on this new feature as we speak.

4 Likes

Well, Randle was a UDFA.

But mostly I wanted to say it because Randle is a better ceiling comp than Donald. They have similar mentalities and work ethics. Neither has Donald’s preternatural quickness, though both are quick overall for 3Ts, and both are incredibly strong for their size.

4 Likes

Sooo doubling down on the insanity’s with a subtle jab at Donald’s work ethic?

Where’s @Bot ?

wants youtube GIF

2 Likes

I know. Just busting your chops. It’s June. :laughing:

Any chance Dirtbag is headed to the hall of fame too?

2 Likes

If things go well for Dirtbag he could be Randall McDaniel

John Randle and Randall McDaniel in round 6 this year, not bad

2 Likes

Fair, I didn’t mean to slander Donald’s work ethic. It’s just the work ethic PLUS the way they win is more similar between Wingo and Randle. It’s a more realistic ceiling imo.

But it’s a CEILING. I’m not saying it’s likely, sheesh.

2 Likes

My ceiling comp might be Grady Jarrett or Geno Atkins. Wingo is a year younger coming out and thus his pure strength lags a bit. Still 25 reps at 20 is pretty solid.

His arm length is comparable and his 40 time is better, with way better 10 yd burst. Similar 40.

Very similar if. It favorable production in first 3 years.

1 Like

Yeah and those are more realistic. Definitely similar styles, builds and strengths. I was just thinking of who the absolute best was of that type of player, and to me that’s Randle.

Interesting comparison because Levi drew comparisons to Randel and Wingos size is close to Levi’s.

Personally I saw him as a mid round pick that would go somewhere between the late 3rd and late 5th rounds so to get him where we did was a bargain in my book.

I view him as starter potential but best suited as a role playing rotational piece. He should be a factor on passing downs for us.

I think Wingo’s floor is someone like Sheldon Day. Measurable wise and motor wise it’s a good comparison.

Wingo’s ceiling to me is Javon Hargrave. He’s lighter than Hargrave but his play is similar and they matchup fairly close measurable wise too.

2 Likes

Personally I think that IF everything comes together for him, he’s got a higher ceiling than people think. It’s one of the reasons I rated him so highly. He’s got great juice and surprising strength (especially in his lower half), and he’s still young so he’s only gonna get stronger. OL are gonna hate going up against him all game long.

Now I’m not expecting him to reach those heights - it’s a ceiling comp for a reason - but I’d be really surprised if he wasn’t at least a plus player for us.

3 Likes

Weird that post didn’t want to post then cut off the bottom 3rd of what I typed when it did.

I’m hoping Wingo can be everything we had hoped Levi would be. At the very least I’m hoping for a solid rotational piece from him. I think that’s a very realistic possibility.

I’ve liked the kid ever since he came back from injury to play on the bowl game. That showed drive and desire to play the game and I’m sure that drew Dan and Brad to him. The kid works hard and loves to play.

You gotta love that.

2 Likes

Theeerrrreee was a farmer had a plow and Wingo was his name-o,
W-I-N-G-O, W-I-N-G-O, W-I-N-G-O and Wingo was his name-o.

6 Likes

I’m just damn happy he is doing well -let Wingo be Wingo first…then compare *

Haha well played brother. I’m assuming the scotch is tasty :laughing:

Will Ferrell Scotch GIF by Anchorman Movie

2 Likes

Nah no need to pay that bill. Just take a cold shower and it’ll go down

2 Likes

Perhaps but lions seek to value the individual player rather than the BQ method of just swapping out guys and expecting same

If McNeil is one of them guys for the Lions
Make it work and pay him

Some players will get big offers or need big offers and McNeil is in that category

1 Like

This wouldn’t be until Alim’s 30/31 years old.

Does he have a sack dance? May I request the Mekhi Shuffle? Just truncate Icky’s a bit. He can call it the Mekhirena if he prefers.

3 Likes

While on this topic, I’ve always wanted to say:

Hutch doesn’t sack dance with enough DL energy. He dances like a skill position guy. And I get it, he wants to prove that he’s a white guy with rhythm. And he is. His sisters clearly taught him some steps. But DL sack dances are supposed to have a dash or two of clumsiness. I’ll die on this hill. There can be no White Shoes Johnson of Edges. This would be an affront to the code. We stand on the shoulders of Narcissistic Giants. We must protect the code!

2 Likes