Highlights from day 1 of Shrine Bowl practice

There’s more talent at the shrine bowl this year than any in recent memory. From what I can tell @Tcmouse 's boy Dante Stills is the standout from day 1:

Also seems like AT Perry, Moro Ojomo, Jack Colletto, Terell Smith, Mekhi Garner, Jadakis Bonds and Nic Jones had good days.

Oh and Zay Flowers measured in at 5’9, 182. A tad shorter but also a touch heavier than I thought he’d be.

Utah RB Tavion Thomas checked in at 247 lol.

5 Likes

There are multiple guys on the West defense that have caught my eye as guys that I think will go much later than they should and end up being on NFL rosters.

Mustipher, Cox, Diabate,

1 Like

Holmes has always preferred Senior type bowls. You see how a guy interacts in a situation where they haven’t had a lot of time to play in sync with new coaches and team mates. You see how they compete against the most physically capable upper classmen in college.

It’s better a lot of ways than normal college games or the combine.

2 Likes

I see the nfl network has something called the nflpa collegiate bowl on now, anyone worth watching here!? Perhaps a James Houston or 2?

2 Likes

As someone that loosely follows the pac-12 for 20 years, I can say that a lot of talent goes unnoticed/underrated by nfl teams because the games are always on later and the Pac-12 doesn’t get much respect of the power conferences.

While I agree that football isn’t the religion on the west coast that it is on the east, there is still a ton of talent overlooked.

Greenbay for years has feasted by drafting a ton of pac12 guys. With Holmes being a former west coast evaluator, he’s finally bringing some of the capability to the Lions. (Sewell, St. Brown, Lucas)

3 Likes

Answering my own question, but the announcers just said Rodrigo and Houston both played in this game last year. Shit, you know the Lions are watching.

4 Likes

I was playing with a 2022 mock re-draft simulator and I was having trouble topping Holmes draft because all the guys he drafted were going higher.

2 Likes

And guess who was just the halftime interview!?

James Houston is at the game and just had a 3 minute interview hyping it up! 18 guys from this game last year were drafted. Pretty cool. I’d never even heard of this game before today but the scouts are out in full force.

3 Likes

I managed to get Kenneth Walker over Paschal and my first 2 picks were Hutchinson (could have taken Sauce, but I don’t value CB as high) and Jamo. So you could say I was winning there but then it all went downhill from there and I couldn’t match Holmes the rest of the way.

1 Like

Kenneth Walker fell five spots further in the re-draft?

It depends on how you set it up, I think, here is the link… But yes for me he did.

Tavion Thomas is a friggin load man. Talented runner too. Almost certainly won’t pass the turd test though.

I’d love to add a Kancey, Stills, Ojomo type but we’d need to add a war daddy nose tackle
as well. Two DTs probably isn’t the worst idea. Though both don’t have to come from the draft.

2 Likes

I played that re-draft thing again and the Jags picked Hutchinson. Blew up my entire draft with that. Thank you Jags for not being like the simulator.

1 Like

LOL, James Houston was actually on the broadcast and interviewed live.
He played in the game last year and they spoke with him about the experience and how it was in Detroit.

1 Like

I really like Ojomo the more I watch him, and I think of that type he probably holds up against the run the best. Still not a plus trait, but probably around average.

1 Like

He meets the Brad Holmes PFF rules, so

1 Like

Do you know anything at all about the CFL NT that declared?

and Levi too!!!

No Way Facepalm GIF by Detroit Lions

At this point Jerrod Clark from Coastal Carolina is probably my preferred DT. A wardaddy nose that actually plays that way. Guys like Coburn and Ika should but often don’t.

I do think Clark will be a guy like Travis Jones that moves up throughout the process. Senior Bowl should help him.

Plays like these are Grover Stewart/DJ Reeder like which is precisely what we need IMO.

I’d be delighted to add a pass rushing 3T as well.

1 Like

Clark was a TE 100 pounds ago so he’s a pretty good athlete. Oh and 82 inch wingspan. Grover Stewart is a good comp but I think Jerrod needs to lose 15 pounds in order to have that kind of range down the line of scrimmage.

1 Like