Hip drop tackle banned

Fair request. Rugby went through this entire thing already. They recently banned hip drop tackles because of excessive injuries.

Here’s a few examples of how it’s done.

DB’s adjusted to the defenseless WR rules. Players will adjust to this as well and it will be a positive for the game imo.

Here’s another from a more instructional perspective:

If its like Rugby, i dont think its outright terrible, but knowing the refs, its gonna be ■■■■■■

3 Likes

True, but these cats have been tackling this way forever

2 Likes

OK watching those, they’re basically the same as the hip drop tackle because they require a lunge by the defender and then allowing his weight and gravity to bring the guy down. The only difference that I can see is they’re not tugging back on the runner while tackling (which admittedly probably makes the hip drop tackle worse). I think it’s going to get mistaken for a hip drop tackle over and over again.

3 Likes

Ha! Absolutely…We know this to be true. :joy:

1 Like

Yep, I agree. Blizer just called it…the 1st few years of this is going to be a wreck.

Still, over time, I think it settles out nicely and becomes an improvement to the game. I don’t disagree that it’s going to be a bit frustrating and messy at first though.

All the more reason I hate that they will be fining players for this. I’d love to see them not fine players, at least for a few seasons while the adjustments occur.

Poor James Houston, first AG hates him and plays him out of position, and now this. Guy can’t catch a break, other than when he’s playing special teams.

From ESPN’s article about it.

I don’t agree with this rule, but if they apply it as has been suggested here then it won’t be terrible.

I also think this type of tackle is easier to pull off when it’s a chase play, and the defender is either faster or has the angle.

So often in the NFL you see the hip drop tackle deployed in short areas to lunge at a guy before he can get going and pull away. Often the defender is flat-footed. I think in those instances you will see the defender landing on the offensive player’s lower body more often than what was shown in those videos.

1 Like

Agreed.

DE’s/blitzers getting to the QB after rounding the corner are going to have to completely change their technique. It’s not going to be easy.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

That’s a regular tackle. What exactly should the defender do there? Can’t hit him any lower, can’t horse collar the guy (which did deserve to get banned), can’t hit him high, Andrews has no dreads so no hair to pull on so how exactly do you tackle a guy now.

1 Like

On another note, LaPorta is going to be GOATing even further with this new rule. Just keep targeting offensive weapons and load up, defenders are almost becoming obsolete.

So what’s the penalty? 5 yards? 10? PF 15?

Personal Foul 15

:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

I am with you. I understand the explaination that Vincent gives that you can’t jump off the ground and then use that weight and momentum to quickly “snap” the ball carrier down. That kind of tackle is effectively a horse collar in the problems that it causes. But the one on Andrews looks like what the NFL wants defenders to do instead of the other type of tackle. So if they call what happened to Andrews a banned tackling technique, I am not sure what else is left to do.

Yeah… it is one thing to ban the tackle…

It is a whole nother mother ■■■■■■■ thing to put the power into the refs hands to call a new subjective penalty correctly.

But hey they allow sanctioned sports gambling on the WWE now so…

4 Likes

Won’t this just encourage defenders to go for knees now when making a tackle? In watching the video of what was shown to the league it felt like over half the tackles were just normal tackles. Ref’s can’t get Pass Interference figured out, how in the hell are they going to figure out this.

2 Likes