Hockenson another ons of "the boys"?

Hock is a good player. He’s young and is a player the lions drafted and developed. We won 3 games last year….I dont know how this team has enough talent in place to trade away one of our better young players.

5 Likes

Well, all I know of they exercised his fifth year option….

I want to win this year and would love for him to produce…… both blocking and catching wise….

Just like all the others: when you get the ball throw your way as the primary target; catch it!

That’s it

1 Like
3 Likes

dig what DC said about Hock.

2 Likes

Top 15.
But yeah, Lions fans aren’t real good at being “supporters”. Always looking for the GOAT and if you’re not the GOAT, hit the road.
64 years of futile thinking, I guess.

3 Likes

Definitely no urgency. If Hock is holding out for more than Njoku, that’s one thing, but I doubt it.

Yes, according to OTC, cap is projected at $225 (2023) and $256 (2024). And if it wasn’t for the pandemic in 2020 and 2021, those numbers would be much higher.

Every year media/fans are shocked by contracts, two years after, the contract looks reasonable or a bargain.

Kind of doubt it. TJ was overdrafted, but he is the type of TE that we need here.

You’ve got to lose more UFA’s than you get or you get nothing. I don’t see that happening any time soon and definitely not in 2024. At some point you have to try to win, might not be 2023, but probably 2024, so if you want a comp pick for TJ, that would be no big/semi-big UFA signings in 2024 . . . because that’s the only way you’re getting a comp pick for TJ.

Goff’s contract probably isn’t much, if any higher than what it should be. It’s 10th in the league and another third of the QB’s are still on their rookie contract. Carson Wentz’s contract (that is very similar to Goff) was traded for a 1st and 3rd to the Colts, then to Washington for two 3rd’s and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone value Wentz higher than Goff.

So if you want to call it a Goff extension or a Ragnow extension or a Howie Roseman special, they all fit, but whatever you call it, it’s better to extend TJ now than later.

7 Likes

That is true, but lets take a look at contracts as a % of cap.

Goff is sitting at 13%
Decker is coming in at 9%
ROkwara at 7%
Okudah, Brockers and Vaitai at 4% each, Ragnow at 3.5% and more than doubles next season.
Hock at 3% now and 4.5% next. Walker get 5% next season.

Those guys are half the cap. More in 23.

Paying Hock 15m+ is a 6% hit, 4th highest cap hit. Is TE the 4th most valuable spot on the team?

Ok GIF

2 Likes

You can’t make the club sitting in the tub. Hock is still under team control for 2 possibly 3 more years on a tag. With his injury history and inconsistency I don’t even consider a extension until he plays a whole year and produces at a high level. This is going to be a big year for Hock.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan, but the one thing the Pat’s got right was getting rid of a guy before you got into a contract you didn’t want. I am a more of wait and see guy at this point, although with all due respect I totally get where Deadstroke is going with this.

2 Likes

I did put a lot of mustard on that sentence to make my point. Stop me before I do it again. LOL

1 Like

I get your %, but I’m more of an APY guy, at least APY over likely length of contract.

Goff’s contract was 5%, 14%, 13%, 12%, but his value to the team is equal.
Decker’s contract was 4%, 2.5%, 9%, 8%, 7% and 1% Dead Money . . . but his value is equal.

% fits better into baseball contracts and it’s hard in the NFL where most contracts have a relatively low cap hit in year one and make up over the next few years.

APY fits better for me. Every contract on the Lions roster is designed to be played out (not saying they will, but they are designed that way). Except for Vaitai and Brockers (both jump $3M in cap and cash next year). And all the new ones have a low cap hit in year one and make up for it in year’s two through five.

But if you are looking at %'s, TJ will definitely be a low cap hit in year one of extension and likely year two (see Frank Ragnow’s 2020 (2.1%) and 2021 (3.5%)) . . . plus we will gain %'s when Vaitai and Brockers are cut next year.

3 Likes

Lots of good points here by both sides of the debate…
@DeadStroke @Weaselpuppy @Sofatso @CasanovaJack1

I am on the fence about extending him now… but also hope he can follow in the steps of other TEs that started to light it up up in year #4 or beyond. Kelce and Olsen also played better in year 4 or later.

3 Likes

Being the optimistic

Maybe we even get a Detroit Discount when we do engage his agent for a contract ext.?!

Ok, so I see the connection in New England with Quinn and Flowers to be “one of the boys”. I see the connection with Brockers and Holmes in LA, to be “one of the boys”.
What I’m not seeing is the connection between Hock and, oh lets say, anyone on this planet to be a “one of the boys” signing.

Hacking Work From Home GIF

If he were a late round pick playing on a rookie contract playing at a pro bowl level. Yea. Pay the man, rework that shit

But his first contract was top ten pick money. Why redo his contract now? Let him prove his top dollar worth this coming year

2 Likes

I like Hock. I am not sure I’d pay him the kind of money he is going to be asking for. He is a good TE. He is a former pro bowler. Who the hell cares if his arms aren’t sculpted? YOU wanna arm wrestle him and bet on yourself to win? :no_mouth:

2 Likes

The Detroit discount usually ends up costing us about 10%.

2 Likes

Count me in with those who would like to wait on the extension. Hock has been ok but imo a little underwhelming based on where he was drafted. I love the TE position and hope Hock turns it up a notch over this next season. I need to see more out of him if he wants the big bucks.

1 Like

The guys we drafted this year will easily replace Hock!

Might could. Scott Bischoff’s evaluation sounds a lot like what Hock does for us.