Hockenson another ons of "the boys"?

Hockenson’s been pretty good as long as he stays healthy and on the field. Health is the biggest question mark. I can see them extending him within this coming year, within financial reason, because the longer you wait, the more expensive it probably gets unless he totally lays an egg in performance. Is it a risk? Sure. But, if a former tight end turned coach has the confidence in the fan base to lead this team then he all should know the difference between a good tight end and bad one?

1 Like

I’m not sure why he is down on Mitchell’s YAC potential… especially when they show a bunch of clips that demonstrate his ability to run after the catch. The Hokies even dialed up runs for Him near the goal line.

Weird take IMO….

AND run deep routes. That’s what jumped out most to me. Dude is a legit deep threat. He’s gonna be a matchup nightmare.

Yep. Even given a step up in competition, Mitchell–or a mannequin too–should have better YAC potential than Hock. Bischoff grants that Mitchell has soft hands, that he positions himself well vs defenders, and that he gets regularly gets open without elite traits, yet Bischoff then says his catch numbers won’t/can’t be what Hocks are. Why? Bischoff says Mitchell is a willing block, just like Dan says Hock is now. Of course, Hock was reputed to be a devastating blocker in college. That hasn’t translated to the pros for him yet.

Anyway, I hope Mitchell makes a strong case for not keeping Hock after 2023, and I hope Hock makes a strong case for a big 2nd contract.

Wonder what the chances are we keep 'em both long term? I think Mitchell’s gonna be a great steal, while on his rookie deal.

I think Mitchell does a pretty job as a blocker… understands how to “wall off” defenders even if he can’t over power them. He is decent as a pass blocker but did get overpowered by Greg Rousseau in a game I watched…. which is really not surprising at all and not a knock IMO.

2 Likes

T.J. Hockenson Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

the guy played 12 games last year. 583 yards 4 TD’s as he blocked a lot, and 73% completion. in other words , damn near 6 football fields worth of yards.

So the distance of a punt that Fox doesn’t have to back off on. Nice!

Thats peak Josh Reynolds. Im not paying Josh Reynolds $15m a year.

2 Likes

what they do pay him-Hock, we can’t help, it is what it is.

I asked Jason Fitzgerald at overthecap.com about Hockenson, he said he’d wait and figure out our QB situation first (apparently unaware that Goff is our guy) :laughing: :roll_eyes: :laughing: Also suggested that the TE market isn’t changing anytime soon.

Joel Corry (former agent) suggested that he would do it sooner than later.

If I felt better about TJ long term, I wouldn’t have as much of a problem waiting. As it is, I’d rather get the contract done, get the guarantees out of the way, so there is some flexibility after 2024 season.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.