Hopkins to Detroit?

I came upon this doing a little poking around. I know this staff has managed some guys due to injury, but I think some of the same things that see him viewed as not a fit for NE, are some of the same reasons here. I love talent tho…

https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/tr-deandre-hopkins-diva-personality-too-much-for-patriots-to-handle/

• ARE THE PATRIOTS WILLING TO TRADE FOR HOPKINS?

Bert Breer: The problem the Texans had with Hopkins was that he doesn’t really practice. That’s just because he physically broke down a little bit. He’s got a lot of mileage on his legs. Three years ago, when the Cardinals traded for him, they had to manage him in a certain way. He wasn’t practicing much during the week at all. With certain veteran players, you can afford that.

Are the Patriots willing to do that? A certain type of team has to absorb those problems. If you’re shooting for DeAndre Hopkins, he would instantly be the highest-paid player on the team. He’d be the most prominent player on the team too. He would naturally become the tone-setter.

• Bert Breer: Younger guys that played with Randy Moss would go up to him and say, “Dude, I played with you in Madden when I was in high school.”.

Hopkins is at that point now. He’s been in the league for long enough that he holds a certain standing as a result. Can you afford that type of guy who stands there in sweatpants on a Thursday?

And he’s been hurt recently, too.

2 Likes

Jared was just having fun with teammates. Coach Napoleon Boneherpart is just paranoid.

1 Like

jared goff lol GIF by Red Bull

You have to remember Hopkins has played barely half of a season the last 2 years. So you can’t just look at the bottom line number. You have to look at the yards per game. His 79.7 yards per game in 2022 is higher than any year of Marvin Jones entire career. And its good for 1,350 yards if he played 17 games. Marvin has been at 33 and 49 yards per game the last 2 seasons.

2 Likes

That would only be a turd issue if he piped into the “wrong spot”.

1 Like

W/or without Jamo the Lions have exactly one PROVEN above-average receiver right now. I’d be disappointed if the Lions didn’t take a look at Hopkins.

And I’ll be pretty surprised if they make a serious move for him.

1. He’s expensive.

2. He’s lost a step.

3. There’re questions about his character, at very least.

And if there’s truth to #3, especially in re his “diva personality,” then I don’t want him anywhere near Jamo, much less in the same WR room w/him.

2 Likes

Sign me up. If he’d take a 1 year 8-10 million dollar deal, I’m all for it. Good help until Jamo gets back. Take some pressure off Jamo when he does come back

1 Like

I’d pass on Hopkins

Glad we’re doing our due diligence, but we don’t need that personality in the locker room anymore.

3 years ago? Sign me up. We needed game changers 3 years ago. We needed guys that believed they could be great and were great.

We have guys like that now. We don’t need one with Hopkins’ attitude to mess things up.

1 Like

Recent DC quote:

“Right now, everything is about the work, and it will be when we get into training camp,” Campbell said. “We’ve got a brand-new team that we’ve got to build from the ground up again. Yeah, we’ve got a foundation, but yeah, man, we’ve got to get the chemistry right, we’ve got a lot of new faces. And all of that other stuff won’t matter if we don’t put the work back in. So that, to me, is the focus.”

3 Likes

Animated GIF

No one in the NFL right now is dumb enough to do that type of deal with an 31 y.o. WR except maybe George Paton. And now that Sean Payton is in Denver, he’d never allow it.

1 Like

I can’t remember the exact terms, but Hopkins had two years left on his deal at about 35mil total. A team could have traded for him at that contract, but thought it was too much.

Rumor is the Chiefs and Bills got scared off once Beckham got 15mil.

Hopkins isn’t getting much more than 12mil AAV this late in the off-season. My guess is the Chiefs and Bills aren’t interested in anything higher than 8-10mil. I could see him signing somewhere unexpected, like Miami, as they try to be relevant in a very tough division/conference. The Panthers are also a sneaky option.

I honestly wish we would sign him, but I really don’t think he fits the culture they are trying to build. I would be floored if we showed any legit interest.

3 Likes

He’s had 1200 yards over the last two seasons and is about to turn 31 years old.

He was good at one time but now he’s a declining veteran with a chip on his shoulder.

I am not sure if he is a good fit but I do think we need another quality WR.

I’d prefer a younger player though.

3 Likes

The Lions front office has generally (Marvin Jones re-signing being an exception), focused on WRs who create separation. Hopkins isn’t that guy.

Given the cost, and the need to be able to have cap space to sign their own guys, I say no.

1 Like

Josh Reynolds and Marvin Jones (as you mentioned) are not exactly seperators. We have those guys in Jamo, St. Brown, Raymond, Gibbs, and LaPorta. I am of the mindset that you need a diverse skillset among your WR group. Hopkins brings a skillset we desperately lack right now. I think the on field fit is a lot better than some here think, but the off the field fit may not work. Thats not to say I think Hopkins is a bad guy because I don’t. I just think if the issues with his practice habits are true they will shy away.

There has already been some serious concerns with Jamo’s practice habits so why would they bring in a veteran like Hopkins for Jamo to learn bad habits from. Once again, that is assuming the reports are true.

2 Likes

But, Hopkins has a lot of experience and knows the league and refs well, he could really help the WR room with gambling tips and suggestions. Something to keep in mind. :wink:

1 Like

Hopkins ain’t coming here!

2 Likes

He had 1289 yards… in 19 games.

That’s only 2 games more than a full season….
ot a 1153 yard pace for a full season.

He missed 6 games because of a really weak “PED” suspension (ostarine is not a PED)… and missed some substantial time in 2021 with injuries for the first time in his career.

In 2022… when D-Hop returned from his BS suspension.,
he put up numbers that would have been a 153 catch season… for over 1350 yards.

3 Likes

How many here that want Hopkins went bonkers when I said bring the band back with Golladay on vet min? I know he’s ten times the player but same type of possession guy w no separation at this point in there careers

blue balls bouncing GIF