How is this possible with a horrible QB?

Goff would be ranked far higher yet IF half our team wasn’t injured the majority of the season, just now getting quite a bit healthier now it’s late, anyway I bet Goff would have been to 6 in the League-or so, so what do you pay that? and for shitz and giggles…say we draft a QB this draft and he soars beyond expectations/ he gets us to the playoffs and the bowl, WE will pay a king’s ransom for that.

Goff didn’t have a super healthy team full of good luck, but He and the offense STILL didn’t rank awful-so 30 million isn’t bad. you know how many times I heard we were in cap hell and we still spent and did what we wanted?

5 Likes

You haven’t heard that from me regarding Stafford. I’m as big a Stafford slappy that there is out there. But my opinion has also changed when it comes to paying these guys. I may love him, he might be my favorite quarterback ever, but he isn’t worth the money he’s making now. You can say it’s just my opinion all you want on the topic, but every single QB you mentioned has yet to accomplish anything after being paid (Josh Allen doesn’t belong in this list). Sure it’s early, but every year that comes and goes so with these guys with bloated contracts SB hopes. It couldn’t be more obvious to me that paying these guys is a losing team strategy.

Josh Allen doesn’t belong in the don’t pay category btw. He is the player I’m describing that you can pay. He’s in the rare category along with Mahomes and probably burrow.

As far as you continuing shots are me not understanding market value, let me break it down for you. The market for QB is set. We already know what the next up and coming is going to make. The nfl qb market is black and white. This other market you are referring to is a specific target market. If you want said stamp, or painting, there is not a market that places it what it’s worth. It’s what a small group of collectors or enthusiasts are willing to pay. Your definition of market value is a basic concept of this term. They are poor examples, you are not comparing apples to apples.

Worth nothing Stafford wasn’t a definite HOF QB when the Rams won the Super bowl. In fact he probably still needs to round out his resume to get into the HOF

So Rams won with a great team and trading for a prolific veteran. Doesn’t really fit into the concept that you need to have an inexpensive rookie or a HOF QB

1 Like

Here’s a way I can simplify the guys who deserve and worth the money they make.

If Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Joe Burrow become available at their current contract for any team to take, every single team in the NFL is taking that player. You do that with every other player in the NFL, and Derek Carr, Kurk Cousins, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, are going to have very few suitors. BECAUSE THESE QBS ARENT WORTH THE MONEY

No you are right, it doesn’t fit. But it also just emphasizes my point even more so thank you. If you have a complete team and all you are missing is the QB, you can trade for a “Jared Goff” type to get you over the top. You don’t have to give him the massive contract and hope it pans out.

2 Likes

Really all boils down to how well the GM navigates the cap and also requires some luck nailing draft picks. So far Holmes has been impressive in draft picks. And he’s been smart with cap space. If we resign Goff or extend him, Id like to see it be a team friendly deal. If he wants the most money in the NFL, and we’re not ready for the Super bowl run, then yea, it would suck to get saddled with a massive cap hit for one player

2 Likes

I just hope they take a shot between now and the 2024 draft at a replacement. That doesn’t have to be our top pick in either draft. But a late 1st or early day 2 pick would be good enough for me personally. I don’t want to see them just flat out commit to Goff being the future, handcuffing us to him and having no choice but to give him an extension. Draft a guy and develop him with the intentions of him being the 2025 QB. That’s what a good franchise would do under these circumstances. I believe in Holmes and I think he will do this.

2 Likes

I think we’re finally mostly in agreement. There’s some quality developmental QBs in the middle rounds this year. I’d like to get McCall or Penix in the third

4 Likes

I’m hoping to add a 2024 1st with a trade down in the 2023 draft. The dream would be someone moves up to our Lions pick and offers a 2024 1st do so. But I wouldn’t mind seeing Pennix in a Lions uniform.

That 2024 class looks to be loaded. With Williams, Maye, Ewers, and McCarthy all potentially in that draft. I wouldn’t mind taking a 3rd round or later QB this year, followed by making a move to get our “Guy” if one of these guys escapes the top 10. Of course a lot can change between now and then but this is my dream scenario.

1 Like

Yep and with the draft being in Detroit, that is when I expect them to make their move on a QB.

3 Likes

Just curious, is Geno Smith?
What would you have said a year ago about Wilson?
What the hell happened to these two?

They needed a piano player

5 Likes

Do you understand why the market dictates paying these QB’s?

Are you suggesting it’s not clear as day? That there is something you know that not everybody else knows?

I know exactly what the market is suggesting…but time and time again, it’s proven wrong. Russell Wilson just got a 5 year 230 million dollar extension. And has led his team to a 3-8 record and the worst scoring offense in football. His replacement in Seattle, is 6-5 and makes 3.5 million.

Meanwhile Goff is leading a top 10 offense, despite getting shutout in NE otherwise we’re top 5

Goff is established in Detroit by now
Wilson on the other hand flopped after changing teams

Your relative comparison is irrelevant, try again amigo

2 Likes

I’m good with Goff now under the circumstances for the 1000th time.

And you completely missed the point…but nice chime in

1 Like

No… I didn’t

Cheers

Let’s not escalate, I’d prefer not to have to pull up old ridiculous ramblings

1 Like

Denver rolled the dice that Russ wasn’t washed-up, he’s proving them wrong. Would you rather they keep drafting the Drew Lock"s, Paxton Lynch’s, Brock Osweiller’s, Tim Tebow’s, etc.?

Drafting QB’s isn’t easy and doesn’t have a high hit-rate despite this myth that you believe that they could have just drafted a QB and he’d be greater than Russ or Goff or Carr or whoever. Even getting a solid QB is tough. There’s a lot of highly drafted QB’s that don’t even make it in this league.
The market says you pay even a mediocre QB if you believe you can build around him because drafting a QB is such a crap-shoot.

Sure you can point out outliers like Geno, how many cheap veteran QB’s have rejuvenated their careers like Geno has?
I get it, you don’t believe in Goff. Do you believe the Seahawks can build around Geno and he’ll take them to a Superbowl?

1 Like

That’s not exactly what you been saying. You’re good with Goff for right now but not overpaying him.
I’m not sure anyone has been in favor of that but with the cap going up every year 30 million a year isn’t absurd to build around.

5 Likes

Nope they can’t win a SB with Geno Smith. And they can’t win a SB with a 40 million dollar QB who isn’t elite. How many times do I have to say the same thing.

Now you tell me how many top 10 salary QBs have won the SB.