How Much Improvement On Defense?

Only the threads that I’m involved in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I expect them to be really, really bad. Just not quite as bad as last year.

I won’t be surprised if the 49ers hang 40+ on them.

We gave up 40 or more FIVE times last year, in a historically bad D.

Hmmmm.
Did have a 37 in there too.
My neutral lens, rational, emotionally disassociated prediction…
SF 32
DET 20

I know my game day prediction will be
Lions. 50
49 (WTF sorta name is that for a football team). 3

3 Likes

This is now a Spiderman thread

Captain America Hello GIF

2 Likes

I was thinking of starting separate defensive, offensive and special teams threads on successive days. I think that way we can focus on the hopes and fears within each specific unit. That way we might escape the “we’ve always been bad” tunnel vision.

I think RickOShea got it right and we’ll show significant improvement by year’s end. You might want to close your eyes for the first three games though…

1 Like

You mean like how Spiderman separates bad guys from their evil plans?

far from home film GIF by Sony Pictures Entertainment Deutschland

2 Likes

You’re always one step ahead of me, Wes…

I predict plenty of
]
Venom 2 Sony GIF by Venom Movie

2 Likes

Really, here we go.

The interior line and pass rush will be top half of the league. Easy, There is a lot of talent, both football and physical there.

The center of the defense beyond 3 yards is defended by Collins, Anzolone, Harris and Fuller.
That’s abjectly terrible.

The outside is a couple of still not quite formed CBs with a whole lot of duct tape and bailing wire behind them on the depth chart.

Team are going to KILL us over the middle and on crossers ( seen that before huh?) on quick enough throws that the pass rush will be defanged, to a degree. They are going to run outside, well, and often. Then, they will get us creeping the line and the middle and beat us outside over the top.

Until they get 3 more guys that are near pro bowl level at ILB, SS and probably CB, this defense is going to get lit up like a brain MRI of a guy on ayahuasca.

viceland GIF by Kentucky Ayahuasca

2 Likes
1 Like

I have no idea. I’m not there, I don’t see them practice or work out. They could be #7, #17 or #27.

With that said, this thread is now about Bob Ross.

3 Likes

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Justin

2 Likes

3 Likes

As for the defense:

2 Likes

Excellent Doug-like derail.
Bob Ross GIF

2 Likes

2 Likes

Lions/Fan relationship every….single……f****** year

Fans:
Rick Astley Pixel GIF

Lions:
rick astley pixel GIF

Fans:
rick astley pixel GIF

Lions:
rick astley pixel GIF

Fans:
rick astley pixel GIF

Lions:
rick astley pixel GIF

Result:

Drunk Alan Rickman GIF

6 Likes

Dennis Miller over here :joy:

2 Likes

After the final preseason game, I actually started feeling a little better about our defense. I think we have the beef in the middle to stop the run, and the speed and skill from the edges to disrupt the QB. Our LB unit was abysmal, but Tavai is out and I really like what I saw from Barnes and Pittman. I’d hate to speak too soon, but we might have a good front 7 that can keep our D rankings in the middle of the pack.

My biggest concern is how fast our young secondary can develop. I think they’ll be good eventually, but this year will be marked with growing pains. We’re going to get burned more often than not when we fail to get pressure. Starting Aiyuk in my flex week one with confidence.

1 Like

addition by subtraction

3 Likes