How Much Improvement On Defense?

Even if your Hand is always injured and your Penisini is 2nd string!

2 Likes

I think the defense will be much better, I think the pass rush will be much improved witch should make the whole defense much improved. I think we will have some issues stoping the run. But our pass rush and coverages should help.
How much better ? Need to play some real games to see.

3 Likes

I think our Defense is gonna get better as the season goes on. I expect the guys up front to hold their own but our LBS and DBs may get shredded early on. As the season progresses I see guys like Barnes stepping up, Okudah and Oruwariye getting better and the D gelling. They are gonna make mistakes but I see them learning from them and developing this year into a decent D by the end of the season.

2 Likes

I expect a learning curve coupled with questionable talent on D. My hope is that Goff can be enough of a game manager to eat up clock and keep these guys off the field as much as possible. In the meantime, I think I’ll just stay here and drink…

3 Likes

This thread is all starting to come together.

I always wondered how Bob Ross went from being an air force drill instructor they called The Tearjerker to that guy up there?

Now I understand. Ayahuasca, man.

1 Like

I love the reference.

It’s the middle that worries me most. Collins, Anzalone and Wilson. Collins is a real wildcard. If he’s good and Barnes progresses enough to beat out Anzalone, our D might actually start looking good by mid season.

I think Collins is Glenn’s “secret weapon”. I expect him to be used as a pass rusher far more often. Personally I think that’s the best way to maximize his value. That does probably mean that we’re relying on Barnes to fill some of the remaining off ball responsibilities but I’m confident he can handle it.

4 Likes

Maybe by mid season, I just looking for solid improvement. Getting a feel for who stays and who goes, scheme orientation on both sides of the ball, The players are at least buying in to the culture.

The three big reasons I think our defense will be massively better and ranked near the middle of teams.

1 - DL is now a strength not a weakness (talent and scheme)
2 - We added much needed speed to the team
3 - Scheme will allow players to play to that speed.

I don’t think you can overestimate how bad MP’s defense was - slow, heavy players deliberately, and a complex scheme that froze them in space withou any pass rush. I think this is going to be fun to watch and a pleasant surprise for everybody.

3 Likes

If fatty patty could get 3 wins with that D scheme, I think 6 will be easy because there’ll be little to no negativity. Then there’s just the emotional element that no guy wants to talk about but it’s go play and be okay! There’s gonna be a lot more voltage to this team this year!

2 Likes

I feel like our D might even be close to average this year.
Ranked #20, or so?

1 Like

Literally 2 seasons ago people were all over how good our DL was going to be. Added Flowers, Hand looked like a draft steal and Snacks had a good season the year before. How did that work out? Just sayin’…

If you date a woman and she cheats on you, are all women cheating bitches, or were you just with the wrong woman?

Same thing as it applies to football here.

Different environment, different coaches, different GM, different players, different ownership, and there will probably be different uniforms soon too. I get what your saying, and not everything is as it appears, for sure. I’m just taking more of a “to be determined” approach!

4 Likes

Stop right there. You ask the question, you need to wait for the answer.

Let’s try asking nicely this time:

Ladies of The Den, what say you?

2 Likes

I will say that our new coaching staff looks very promising based on experience and leadership.

I won’t jump on the hype train just yet, but I do recognize why people are excited. I am too (cautiously).

2 Likes

Wish we had more of 'em. I’m sure we have some readers here, but I don’t think we really have any vocal female posters. Their contributions would be muuuuuch appreciated. I do enjoy the current energy dynamic, but some feminine energy would shift the dynamic…for…sure!

no problem.

Think of it this way…
The difference in the energy of…
“Women are bitches” - victim mode, thinking the universe is a bad place.
“I’ve been with the wrong women” - looking at SELF, and how you can honor yourself more by being with the right people.

Translated to our new coach vs old coach.

Hope that brings more clarity. If not, feel free to reach out.

1 Like

Talking To Me GIF by Stick Up Music

1 Like

OK I have no idea how you thought that was some kind of analogy. The fact is it had nothing to do with coaching, Snacks regressed and Hand and Flowers were hurt. We’re starting another season with Flowers, who has shown next to nothing and Hand, same, 2 rookies, and a solid vet at DE. If everyone is healthy, great, looking for a decent year for the DL. If not, well…

1 Like