How quickly can we turn this around?

I look at some of these other teams like the Browns, Bills, Miami, Cardinals, etc and how quickly they turned their teams around. Can it happen to us as well?..and how long do you think it would take?

64 years?

3 Likes

And counting…

Law of Averages says we are about to go on a run the NFL has never seen. By the time we get done winning 8 consecutive superbowls, the rest fo the league will just know they’re just playing for the runner-up trophy

3 Likes

The easy answer is…2 years. If it doesn’t happen by year 2 its probably not going to happen with that coach. The only reason to give a 3rd season is if you have a rare talent like Kyle Shanahan.

2 Likes

I said before that the law of averages does not apply to a few teams at the bottom of the heap. We are one of those teams. You would never expect for Vanderbilt to win the SEC and become national champions based on the law of averages. Vanderbilt fans understand they have an inferior football program and don’t wake up every year thinking they are suddenly going to beat LSU, Alabama and Florida on their way to glory. They take the team for what it is and enjoy the journey, understanding their place in football.

Thats Detroit football. The law of averages does not live here. We are an inferior program.

2 Likes

“Turn around” equals what? WC birth? If so, next year with a good coach and a healthy Stafford.

I think we’re two damn near perfect offseasons away from being a real contender.

1 Like

Trying to compare college programs to NFL programs doesn’t work, NFL draftees are not the same as recruits, we’re not bad because of bad recruiting.

1 Like

I’ve got 60 years on my side to show that we are an inferior program. Good luck with your argument against it.

1 Like

I agree. Was joking. Not all of my jokes are funny, and I am fully aware of it.

p.s. I will not stop with the jokes. :wink:

2 Likes

Depends entirely on the amount of draft capital we’re able to accumulate from our current roster (which isn’t much I’m sure).

I think we could be able to make some deep playoff noise in year two. We have a ton of expiring contracts. The good thing is very few of those guys are Tier 1 type players. More like players you can either pay in keep if they fit, or dump and get another guy that does fit for similar money.

On offense, I think we need another OG and perhaps a RT that is better than what we have. Vaitai was tragic and you probably either just cut bait there, or plan on him being a backup player. Maybe Dahl can get healthy and be the starting OG. But I don’t think Crosby/Vaitai or Nelson is the anwer. Other than that, it’s WR. We need 3-4 somehow. I think Jones Jr. can be a value signing for us again. I don’t think he is getting top money anywhere. He and Stafford have a great rapport and he’s still the best WR we have not named Golladay. I’d pay him. Amendola I’m also fine keeping at relatively bargain money and again has great rapport with Stafford. That really just leave what to do with Golladay. If we can round out the position with Cephus, Jones Jr. and Amendola, then we need a number one and I think a speed guy.

I personally send Golladay down the road. But that is partly because I think he’s been milking his injury. I have no proof of that, but if it wasn’t a dislocated hip then wtf? I think “this gone cost ya” did. I franchise him with the intent of trading him for a high 2nd round pick. I think we can get that and perhaps get than speed slot guy that’s dynamic. Then you probably have to get a top type FA. Many would say why not just pay Golladay. It’s an option, but I think you can get a more rounded player for the money he will command, like Robinson. So if you think about it, I’ve got 2-3 new players on offense, then the rest is good IMO. Which leaves all the rest of our resources for defense, which does need a ton of changeover. That’s what will take two offseasons to fix.

Not sure where anyone was arguing we weren’t an inferior org., I was just saying your comp. doesn’t work.

1 Like

There have been teams that were laughing stocks for a long time, but then a great coach came along and turned it all around. The Steelers were like that until Chuck Noll came along, and I think the Packers were too prior to Vince Lombardi. But you have to get that great coach first I think, one that has the right combination of leadership and management, plus the football smarts to get the best out of his players and win games. It’s doable, but I also think you gotta get a little bit lucky with fewer injuries and successful draft picks and FAs that pan out. Doesn’t hurt to get a few HOFers early on either.

I thought the Lions were on a positive trajectory with Schwartz and then Caldwell, and then took a couple steps back with Q&P. IMHO, the Lions have already begun a turnaround in the last 2 games from the disastrous Patriot Way. How much better would they be if so many of their better players weren’t on the IR? It’s hard to win with guys that belong on somebody’s practice squad. I think they need the enthusiasm of a Pete Carroll; Bevell is doing very well IMHO, but let’s see what happens over the last 3 games.

Honest question. What have the cardinals done that says they have turned it around? They have gone 13-3, 8-8, 7-8-1, 3-13, 5-10-1 and now they are 7-6. Their remaining schedule looks like they are most likely looking at 9-7 or possibly 8-8. To me it’s just more of the same up to this point. 3-13 seems to be a product of a horrible first year coach…and back to the norm now.

1 Like

I don’t believe we are an inferior franchise , I think we were lead by inferior individuals…the correct persons could come in here and next thing you know we are winning a lot, BUT & yet it takes the ‘right’ combination of people to run this team for that to happen. we haven’t had that.

If we are an inferior team, we were operated that way by inferior persons.

2 Likes

Maybe in the next 10 to 20 years you’ll come around to it.

Stafford has now got injured back to back seasons. A healthy Stafford might be very wishful thinking. I think there is a realistic chance he’s traded and we go full rebuild.

I tend to agree. I actually think it’s been four years in a row: 2017 hand, 2018 back, 2019 back, 2020 ribs and finger.

1 Like

Good point, he’s taken a lot of big hits the past 12 years. His trade value will only go down from here. Don’t get me wrong, Stafford is a decent QB and if we had a half decent Defense, he’d have won many more games in his career. His mobility is decreasing and basically a sitting duck in the pocket these days, which is why he’s taking so many big hits.

Regardless of what happens, I wish him well in the future, whether it’s in Detroit or somewhere else.

I’d prefer we grab a QB. Even if that’s one of the top four (assuming Lance is as good as some think) Staff might provide great value by allowing the rookie to be rushed. Especially in the event that it’s Lance or Wilson given the big step up in competition.

1 Like