How this weekend changed my draft board

Agree on KT being a little bigger. The thing I don’t really like about him though is his frame. He seems thin to me for a dominant edge guy. Not just in the legs, but in the hips and shoulders. Its a nitpick to be sure…

Also with you on those guys at 3tech. Winfrey looks like he could be something, athletic for being so big. I don’t know what happened to Leal’s draft stock but at one point the guy was touted as a top 10 guy. He looked like the baddest dude on A&Ms defense, that is for sure.

I see more Jared Allen then kvb but the no quit undying attitude is kvb

This is my take: if Hutch can bring the cultural component of a KVB or Jared Allen, then even if his production doesn’t match the latter, it’s worth it.

Maybe this pick is cornerstone over raw talent. Dependable motor that doesn’t jump off the tape but is a bellwether for the rest of the defense, especially when it comes to reflecting the coach’s personality.

Maybe that’s Hutch. Maybe that’s Hamilton. I’ll leave it to the experts.

3 Likes

Also, KVB was a better athlete than everyone remembers:

Blazing 3-cone for that size.

1 Like

Changed mine as well. We have to get a QB. Nothing against Goff but the AFC is stacked with young ultra talented QBs. I know there’s no one at the top of the draft but a Malik Willis with our 2nd pick might be worth it. Again not bashing Goff but we’re gonna have to compete with Mchomes, Allen, Hebert, burrow, Jackson and so on for years to come.

1 Like

3x pro bowler that helped changed the culture here, but by the time he left he was over running plays and teams were taking advantage of it. If KVB is any of these guys ceiling, we need to have a pro bowler and I would do it.

I agree that we absolutely have to get a game changer at QB. Only guy out of this class that cam be that though is maybe Willis, and it’s more and more unlikely that he’s going to be there when we pick again the more the Rams are winning.

1 Like

Lamar is at a real crossroads here

Pass TD’s by year-6,36,26,16
INT-3,6,9,13
Rush Yd- 700-1200-1200-750
Rush TD- 5-7-7-2

You have to figure in missed games too…

But That’s What Happens To Running QBs. They Miss Games.

It’s really hard to comp him though. He’s already had netter passing and rushing seasons than Vick ever did. He’s smaller than the bigger guys like McNabb/Culpepper/Young/Cam…but he’s a better passer than Vick.

Randall Cunningham ( if they let him run like they do now).

That’s awful good. Didn’t win shit though…

1 Like

I do think that game last night pushes Willis up the board. He’s the only guy with similiarly elite physical gifts. Player development will be huge for him, but Allen was terrible his first two years in the league so it can happen. Of course Allen’s a major outlier and I don’t like to bet on outliers, but if they hit they’re just such an advantage. I still wouldn’t take Willis (I wouldn’t take any QB in this year’s class), but he’s probably the one to bet on.

1 Like

Our resident Goff expert @BearlyThere has said a few times that Goff has already shown that he can out play those guys head to head. Or…at least Mahomes.

I personally would prefer to wait on a QB until next year but I’m on board with the “trust Holmes” crowd. If he thinks Willis is the guy, I will disagree with that assessment but trust that he sees something I don’t (which wouldn’t be hard to do, tbh)

1 Like

Pretty sure Battle went out and said he’s staying at Bama for another year… I liked him too though

Yes, running QB’s miss games absolutely. We just built an OL that should be perfect for a pocket passer. Doesn’t mean that you can be a statue back there, but it’s rare to get a running QB whose first instinct isn’t to run when they get pressure instead of stepping up into the pocket. If you don’t have an OL then you have a real need for a guy who can bail you out. Go back and look at that footage of TE Jevani Woods, Virginia QB Brennan Armstrong was escaping all the time and threw for 4,444 yards last season and that was after missing games. McCall from Coastal Carolina, same thing, everyone thinks next years draft is about the 2 guys at the top. It isn’t, there’s some really great talent and depth in that draft. Aaron Rodgers has lead the league in QB rushing in his career, not on purpose but because he would simply take what he was given. We need a guy who can move around to buy time but trust the OL.

I’m also firmly in the Hitch or Thibs camp. BUT!…
If the scouts determine Hamilton is another Ed Reed, or Earl Thomas, or Sean Taylor… yes, they can impact the game in a similar fashion.
Gimme Hutch.
But I’m not a Lions scout. If they believe in him, do it.

This weekend told me something as well. Unless you have an elite QB, you are not winning. Mahomes shredded the top defense in the league. I have been on the “keep Goff and build a good team around him” but if Goff can’t elevate the talent around him then it is a waste. History says he can win a lot with a sound team around him…but can he consistently compete with Allen and Mahomes? Because that is what we are talking about…it also sucks that there is not a clear-cut DUDE in the draft where we have the number 2 pick and the first pick for a QB (jags have Lawrence). If the lions come away from Mobile liking Willis, I hope they make a play for him…

I love me some Josh Allen…but they don’t grow on trees. I’d put Allen over Stafford. I’d take Allen over stafford. I would say he is qb1 right now.

1 Like

So what if Jimmy G wins the SB?

1 Like

I’m glad people other than me can see this now.

I’d rather go get an elite QB than have to build the perfect team and play a perfect game to win with a guy like Goff.

1 Like

Let’s not act like the offense did not score enough points to win the game on Saturday.

Lol, so I posted a similar comment in my other forum, got the same response, I’ll repost what I said. It’s a good point jack.

Can it happen? Sure, but do you wanna bet on Mahomes Allen or Goff Jimmy G? Just got me thinking…bc I have been in the keep goff ans build around him camp……I dunno anymore……and I know he has done well w a good team……but damn…….is he closer to Allen, Mahomes stafford or a tannehill?

That said maybe you swing for the fences on a Malik willis. Holmes does come from a program that takes risks w no fear. Drafts w no fear. I’m really curious to see what happens at the senior bowl. I want the next josh Allen. Not the next Jimmy G.

I have never been against willis. Just don’t think he is a top 10 pick. Could that change? Of course ans the lions can draft him wherever they want to and I will not question it at all…….what the ruck do I know? I also specifically love LOVE josh Allen and his skill set. I’m personally not as in love w Lamar and his skill set. I wouldn’t complain if he was a lion, but Allen does it more for me, can run, is mobile, rocket arm and has developed great accuracy. Allen Will always be dangerous even if his legs betray him…I hope Lamar will be able to do the same.

I don’t think he’s anything like Courtney Brown stylistically .