How this weekend changed my draft board

I’m not necessarily saying Willis is going to be an elite QB either.

There’s a difference between believing in Willis and believing Goff can’t get it done like these guys.

The theme seems to be that the better of a QB you have, the less help he needs.

See Joe Burrow.

The 49ers are proving to be the exception to every modern rule about offensive football, but I’ll give Kyle Shanahan a pass for doing it his way successfully because he’s Kyle Shanahan and it’s not a widespread trend.

That’s akin to saying “We can recreate the Patriots dynasty because they proved it was possible.”

Like we’re saying “We can win with a Goff type QB and play caveman offense because the 49ers are proving its possible.”

Which are there more of? Great QB led teams with explosive offenses, or game manager QBs leading defense and run teams?

You’re far more likely to be successful by following the majority rule. That’s why everyone who hired away from the Pats and tried ro recreate the Pats failed.

We would have a much better shot IMO and definitely more room for error with an elite QB versus with Jared Goff.

3 Likes

Not many teams left that don’t have some great pass rushes.

1 Like

Actually I would love to have Mahomes/Allen. But if you think Willis is the best chance then you need to use our first pick, because if we rate him with that kind of ceiling, well, I can’t believe we’re alone.

3 Likes

I also think this is where the Rams pick being 30-32 versus like 23 is going to come into play if they want a guy.

Frankly, because there’s no home run pick at 2 overall, if they like a QB, and John Dorsey who drafted Mahomes likes a QB he sees at the Senior Bowl, take him at 2.

Well, no. This isn’t the last draft we’re going to ever be in and wrong time for the wrong guy.

1 Like

he also passed on Josh Allen for Baker in Cleveland. Just saying… i get the trust…but he is capable of misses.

2 Likes

Fair point, although I think everyone expected Baker to be better than he us.

Something else I’ve noticed. The AFC has all these great young QBs.

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Jackson
Herbert
Lawrence (maybe)

Who’s the best young QB in the NFC?

Probably Kyler or Prescott.

There’s a massive void left to be filled by someone who hits on a QB. Super Bowl appearances would become regular with the right guy.

4 Likes

And i would put both behind the AFC qb’s minus Lawrence. Debatable about Lamar. The NFC is barren.

So, your logic is, if there’s not a homerun pick at 2, then take the even-less-of-a-homerun QB at 2?

4 Likes

Of course any teams chances are better with an elite QB. How easy is it to get one though? It’s probably easier to build a football team that can win games with a QB like Goff than it is to find a Allen or Mahomes as the third or fourth QB drafted in any given draft.

Who said it was “even-less-of-a-homerun QB”? I never said that. I don’t know why you’re assuming I want a lesser player.

I really don’t know why you’re assuming I am advocating for a QB with that pick because that’s the vibe I’m getting from what you said

What I’m saying is that there isn’t a Chase Young or Nick Bosa that should prevent you from taking a QB if you believe he can be special. There is a proven QB guru in your front office who helped draft Rodgers, drafted Mahomes, and even though he sucks, brought Cleveland Mayfield who is the best QB they’ve had in about 30 tries.

If Dorsey signs off on a QB with that pick, then there isn’t some transcendent generational player that should prevent you from pulling the trigger.

1 Like

Of the 8 teams in the divisional round this year, 7 have an elite QB and the 8th has what they think is one developing behind their version of Goff right now.

That’s how the statement that you and others have made is disproven.

I was at the AFC Championship game for the Broncos and Patriots…Manning vs. Brady one last time.

One of the things that is still burned in my memory is the ass kicking Brady took from Von Miler, Demarcus Ware and company. That Denver defense was for real. Wade Phillips not only had a tremendous pass rush, he also had a secondary dubbed “The No Fly Zone”. Having a great pass rush is fantastic…pairing it with good to great secondary can make your defense lethal.

Without looking at Free Agency, ours or otherwise, these are my first three rds for my draft as of January.

1a. Aidan Hutchinson
1b. Jameson Williams
2. Lewis Cine

Then why haven’t we made the divisional round for the last 12 seasons? While the guy we do have at QB now has been there how many times during that span?

That is a huge risk as @Snags is hinting at. I just don’t know. As of today, he doesn’t have a first round grade…that could change but I am hoping and I have heard the Lions are also hoping maybe he makes it to their second first or their 2nd round pick if they are wowed by his senior bowl. Another thing I have heard…is perhaps the first round is not as good next year…and the GM’s know this…and you might see teams trading NEXT year’s firsts for cracks at a kid they like THIS year…so maybe if they think their QB (if they really like one) is there but could go at 16…maybe they trade a pick next year to move up and get him this year…who knows…

1 Like

And the very next year they fell back to the pack and never reached those heights again. That’s the problem with building elite defenses… you might be able to be badass for a year, two tops, but injury and attritions always hits, far more than on the offensive side of the ball (where, if you can just keep the QB healthy, you should be good). The league is set up to allow the offense to win.

1 Like

I’m seeing a trend…

Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Matt LaFleur, Bruce Arians/Byron Leftwich, Andy Reid, Brian Daboll, Zac Taylor

And the 8th team is the same team that can evaluate and get guys like LaFleur and Arthur Smith. How do I know that? Because they replaced LaFleur with Smith and Smith with Todd Downing.

And then we had Darrell Bevell, Jim Caldwell, Joe Lombardi, etc.

So is it the coach or the QB?

Clearly it’s both.

I mean we see how Trevor Lawrence did with Bevell this year.

We also saw how Allen improved when Daboll got hired.

The top end talent is better (Young, Stroud, Anderson, JSN), but after that it is very cloudy and looks bad right now.

Like we knew about Thibodeaux this time last year and the next draft other than those guys doesn’t have anything like that.

1 Like