I Am So Sorry Son

I’ve infected my son. I honestly thought he would never receive this horrible, mentally disgusting disease, but it turns out - he’s just as susceptible as I was so many years ago.

I watch him now, just as I did, hide his disgust as he watches a group of guys try to compete with a bunch of other guys where the game is not meant to be won.

Yeah - next game we’ll compete. Next year we’ll compete. Next decade, next century, bla bla bla.
I see him believing it just as I did. You know… the promise of a new season. And then after only a few games you see them as they are - a second tier team in a league with only two tiers and then it’s already on to hopes of next year.

I’m sorry son. I know you watched me as I spent my emotions on a losing outcome. I hoped you would not learn from my mistakes and repeat them, honestly I did. But you fell for it just as I did. A Ford team that will never actually compete because they really have no actual business reason to.

I know he will listen to the post game broadcasts, just as I did for so many years to the folks hawking for their sponsors and telling us how good the Lions stats were in their losses

I… apologize to you son. I’m sorry for the years you will have to endure. I sorry, that you may possibly pass this affliction on to your son as well. Please tell me you will try to keep your him away…

45 years of pain should be an indication for you. Please don’t fall for it son… please

5 Likes

My kid became an Eagles fan at 7 and never looked back. So yeah, that means he’s already watched his team win a Super Bowl.

8 Likes

I think the important thing to remember in all of this is it’s only a game. Yes, we all get excited and crazy to some degree. And that’s ok! It’s what makes it fun.

In the end, their outcome and performance is not reflective on us, has no influence on our daily lives, and is only for entertainment. That’s awesome that he feels passionate about the team! That’s not a bad thing! It’s not even about the team… it’s about connection with his dad and a common interest. One of the wisest things I ever heard about going to Lions games was “we’re not going to watch the game, we’re going because it’s a reason to hang out and the game is secondary.”

The game is no longer secondary to me but that’s why I like watching them alone, by myself and the dog… and I still get excited but always knowing this is only entertainment. In the event the Lions ever win anything, will it ever make your personal life any different? Any better? Make that clarification, it’s ok and great to feel passionate, but also do not let the excitement and let downs dictate who you are and how you live your life.

Sorry, I hear what you’re saying and just speaking off the cuff… and I don’t know any of this makes sense but I’m not editing just speaking from the heart… my uncles and my cousin made me a lions fan and it’s just how it is for me… I don’t even know why because I know what they would be saying and are saying now!

3 Likes

My 15 yr old son is a Steelers fan and I’m not even mad about it.

2 Likes

1 Like

I have a 5 month old grandson.

My son and I agreed that if the Lions have not won a Division Title or Playoff game by the time he is 5 we are picking a team to root for not named The Lions so we don’t torture him. He is a cute little guy. No need to put him through this.

Green Bay, Chicago, Dallas, NE and Philly are non candidates. No can do

Jacksonville looks destines to suck forever

I liked KC before the media hype since Mahomes…now I am sick of them

NYC —- nope. Giants and Jets out. Bills are a consideration

I like the city of Denver and the Mountains so maybe Denver

That would be about the time Stafford is getting his 5th ring but Kelly will convince him to retire and spend time with their 6 kids so the dynasty will be ending. And California sucks

Seattle will be behind the Iron Curtain and I wont root for a communist team so they are out

I think it will have to be either Buffalo, Denver, The Texans or Cards

But hopefully we get turned around and we don’t have to switch. But I wouldn’t bet on it

3 Likes

Yeah I really considered this when my first son was born. I felt like it would be child abuse if I got him into the Lions. He’s five now, and a big Chiefs fan.

1 Like

You need to turn those kids into Lions fans! Just do it. We all have to suffer. And yes I have 2 girls who don’t give a crap about football.

1 Like

Awesome response DetroitStrong! Yes, you are correct that it IS only a game. And there’s no better display of that until you see actual smiles and laughter from the losing team after the game. They know it.

But here’s the thing. I’m emotionally detached from this team. It’s the first time in my life that that’s happened. After 45 years of supporting and believing in them, I’ve realized that the ownership never had any more intent for them other than to pacify us. Henry, when he bought this team in the 50’s actually said the only reason he did so was to entertain his guys on Sunday. That’s commendable in itself but short of the actual goal that exists.

I saw that same frustration in my son recently and believe I am responsible and because of that, I am sorry for what I’ve done to him.

That’s all I wanted to say…

But than you again for the eloquent reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more on your picks to support!

What Is Wrong With You GIF by Britannia on EPIX

1 Like

Will he be The Godfather of an Eagles board, one day?
The universe has strange ways.

2 Likes

If he was ugly, I most definitely would. :wink:
Just having fun w/ya man.
Congrats on the little one.

IF I ever have a son, he shall be a lions fan or face treason charges! :wink:

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:. Those are the teams? Not aiming too high I see.

I won’t jump on the bandwagon of a top team just because the are the top team dejour

Like all the sudden Chiefs fans from all over the world the last two years

And Laker fans that have never lived in California but become “big fans” when the Lakers are good

But 3 of the 4 have been to Super Bowls in my lifetime so all of them are a quantum leap from where we sit

The Bills were the greatest dynasty to never win a Super Bowl and are on the upswing

Denver … won multiple Super Bowls and I love the city

Cards…been to a Super Bowl

Houston…I like Texas

If rooting for the best team in the NFL was my top priority I would have dumped the Lions decades ago obviously

I still remember the day my daughter informed me she was going to be a Packer fan. Told her to pack her bags and get out. I think she was about 6 or 7. Some 30 years ago and she still hasn’t forgotten or forgiven.

1 Like

I remember telling my toddler son, “It’s too late for me, but you have a chance”. That toddler is approaching mid-30’s today.

2 Likes

If you haven’t watched “the heart of a Lions fan” on amazon prime, it’s pretty good. Others have felt this pain and lived with the same decision on whether or not to pass the curse of rooting for this sorry ass franchise on to the next gen

2 Likes

My 4 year old daughter absolutely loves the Arizona Cardinals and I’m okay with it. As long as she never becomes a Packers fan.

1 Like