I can't help think this team can compete for a SB

We (including myself) all want defense. Defense is the weakness. We are gifted a golden opportunity with the 6th overall pick, and the 18th pick. Then two 2nd round picks. Not to mention 3rd round pick, etc.

So, let’s look at the best possible scenario:
This team is currently competitive. Good enough to compete for the division title, and a wild card spot.

Goff played lights out the 2nd half of the season. This team was a top offense. A great OL, great running game, ST Brown is a top slot receiver, Chark, and others chipped in. So the offense is good. Add Jamo, who is a top 12 pick, and possibly would have went in the top 10 if he wasn’t injured. The TE’s are fine in this scheme. DMont should be better than JW. Glasgow is insurance. Maybe add a vet WR to replace Chark, and this should be an even better offense. Maybe a lot better. All of this already makes them a better team.

Lets say they draft Tyree. Wow, you’re talking about a team STACKED at DE/Edge who can move around all over the place. That should be an elite pass rush. Then let’s say Bresee is available at 18. Who should be a very good player. Solid at run stopping, and pass rushing. This would give the Lions an elite DL. Shit, even Kancey or AA.

Then in the 2nd round you take a top LB. Then maybe another DT. Then CB in 3rd, S in 5th. All the sudden you have an elite defense with major depth. Then QB, then heck a Kicker.

This team then becomes a team who can compete for a SB.

3 Likes
  1. We have to avoid major injuries.
  2. We have to avoid the early season slump.
  3. Goff needs to play better on the road.
  4. Ben Johnson needs to open the offense up a bit more on the road.
4 Likes

they will draft a QB.WR and RB there will be some offensive picks

2 Likes

Competing for a SB is so tough. I just don’t see it next year. The draft picks need time to jell and learn the systems, hit the rookie wall as they do. I forsure expect them to make the playoffs and win a game. I just don’t see enough mature talent yet on the team. Especially when comparing it to KC, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc. Hope they prove me wrong.

1 Like

Super Bowl koolaid in mid March!!! Are you drinking green koolaid today for St. Patty’s day!?

St Patricks Day Art GIF by Studios 2016

1 Like

Defense needs to be at least a top 15 unit.

All those things you mentioned, plus a top 15 defense and we just might have a shot. Gotta start fast next season! We have won a total of 1 game in September the past 2 seasons.

1 Like

don’t we always have someone claiming a bowl each offseason?

1 Like

I’d like to start competing for a division title first.

2 Likes

Haha probably… but when was the last time we finished a season 8-2! Climb on board the Super Bowl Train @wolfcub36

When we are not super talented (and don’t kid yourself, we’re not yet), it’s going to take a lot of luck. But I definitely think we can win the division and get in the playoffs. And in the NFC, it’s much easier to make a run. If we make the playoffs, we have to hope for a Cinderella run like the 2021 Bengals. It can happen for sure, and in 2024 we’re are legit contenders like the 2022 Bengals.

1 Like

Yes, but usually its a puke bowl.

Time to go beat the best.

1 Like

nah, not buying it , start by winning games approaching the 8 , pass 8…reach 10…then I’ll hop on.

2 Likes

We won 9 last year!!!

Choo Choo Train GIF by Australian Survivor

2 Likes

We’re good, but we’re not a Super Bowl contender without a lot of luck. We’re in that tier with the Jags, Ravens, Dolphins, Chargers, Cowboys, those type of teams. It’s a vast improvement over where we’ve been, but there’s still a long way to go.

got to better, 9 games is -good- for us, but got to do more, you don’t get awards for winning 9 games. my train is staying put and rusting in place , until it proves it can go to higher places.

1 Like

I hear ya bud!! I want playoff wins, lots of em! It’s been 30+ ■■■■■■■ years! A man only has so much patience.

2 Likes

Can I get a playoff win? If I am feeling really really dangerous…can I get a division championship first?

1 Like

Word
I think OL/RB help is gonna help on the road, as I feel like much of our “road woes” were due to less than desirable weather.
Run it down their throats

Lol…yup baby steps. Usually there’s a progression that happens before being considered SB contenders.