I’m starting to think new HC should be

Its kinda hard when you ARE the hump…

1 Like

So what do you guys think of Kellen Moore? Need to see more before you can form an opinion?

“Please provide a list of available successful GMs and coaches that were available. I’ll be waiting because it’s seems like you’re just bitching to bitch.”

It’s America, everyone is always available, it all comes down to money. You don’t have to wait for someone to be in the unemployment line to offer them a job. Desperate times, call for desperate measures, yet we keep trying the wait and see approach with rookies. Hiring a TV analyst to run the team. Hiring a pool boy to be the President. Hiring a defensive coordinator that gave up half a hundred to a back up QB in the super bowl to be your head coach. I mean Caldwell was probably the 1 hire in the last 10 years that came with any track record and even he wasn’t highly sought after, by anyone but the Lions.

Actually, in the NFL…you do.

Well, officially yes, but you can have a handshake deal in place ahead of time. Kind of like what Antonio Brown and the Pats had before he got cut by the Raiders. Lol

It’s 2019. People can connect and hash out a deal in seconds thru technology. Nobody has to fly out and set up some big meeting. Anyway, other than Martha owning up to being out of touch and not knowing how to hire a GM, does anyone have a bit of evidence that she cares about winning and does anything remotely well?

So you want to get busted for tampering and lose draft picks? That seems like the intelligent path to take.

1 Like

That’s exactly what he wants. I guess he thinks he can just dial up random coaches and GMs to offer them jobs and noone is going to say anything about it.

No. I’d rather keep hiring unqualified GMs, presidents, and coaching staffs for another 60 years and hope we get 1 more playoff win. Doing the same stupid crap isn’t working and will not work. We have AMPLE evidence. Like, a lifetime of evidence. Why is it that seemingly every other team in the NFL not named the Lions and Browns at least hit on a GM or coach every now and then? Martha’s answer isn’t to get someone with experience and success, she goes after someone with zero experience to fix a 60 year epidemic. Seems like she really wants to win. :thinking:

I think Quinn is good at player / personnel management in general. I’ve got few complaints with the way the roster has been handled.

I also think he absolutely pooped the bed with coaching decisions. While I never loved Caldwell as an Xs and Os guy, he had a professional, stable culture that won games. Was firing him the wrong decision? Quite possibly, and that’s a reasonable discussion. Is Patricia better? I think the answer to that is clearly no. In fact, all data thus far points to Patricia being significantly worse.

The question is then whether or not the one giant mistake (bad coaching hire) is bad enough to broom a pretty good player/personnel GM. I’d say no, but I tend to be conservative in that way.

Fair enough. I think it is TBD, but I do see an overly-conservative approach (which is fine, if you have the guys to do it, which we don’t).

The Rams GM and HC were just as “unqualified” when they were hired. The year before that the Eagles won a Super Bowl with their “unqualified” HC and GM.

I’m not a fan of first time head coaches, so don’t get me wrong. But if you are going to make a comment about what other teams are doing, it bares mentioning.

1 Like

I’d love to know the list of successful GMs that were available when Quinn was hired. Please provide something so we could discuss. We could debate if she hired the wrong guy, but if you want to stay at troll level and just say SOL then that’s as deep as it’s going to go. Which is right up your alley.

Calling her cheap because she didn’t want to break the rules is just ignorant.

Fair, but teams that have actually had success in the past, can do whatever they would like. The worst professional team in sports history should not be throwing crap at the wall in hopes of hitting the lottery in my opinion. The Lions need to spend to try to get the best people possible to run this team, until we at least taste a moment of success. We aren’t like other teams.

How does a team like Pittsburgh go from Cowher to Tomlin and basically stay a perennial playoff team? The same way the Lions hire a carousel of coaches and never sniff a single meaningful win in a quarter century. They keep hiring unqualified front office personnel. It’s shouldn’t take 4,5,6 years to win in this league. Here we are in year 4 of Quinn and trending down again. Rinse. Repeat.

Pittsburgh hired a guy that was less qualified than Patricia, and you are saying you want to do things more like the Steelers? Also, their GM had zero experience as a GM when they hired him to be their GM.

Going out and hiring an experienced professional to assist with the GM search is literally the opposite of throwing shit up against the wall. That’s what her husband did. He hired a buddy to be GM. He let that buddy pick his own replacement. Then he saw some guy on TV and hired him. Then he let that guy pick his own replacement. It was comical for 50 years. Martha hired an experienced pro who has helped other teams find GMs and coaches, and for the first time since the Ford’s owned the team, we hired a GM who had experience in the front office of another organization. In 50 years old man Ford never had a GM who had even been a coffee boy in another teams front office…only the Lions.

Again, every GM is available in the offseason. Pretty much every GM hire is taking a guy who was currently employed. You don’t have to be dirty about it. You can reach out to his employer and request permission to interview them. Not every relationship is perfectly healthy and just because a GM might have had success, they might have run their time out with that team.

You COULD also find a successful coach and give him full power to run your franchise. It’s a promotion and might be a good way to lure someone who is highly respected. Instead of hiring a GM who drafts players not fit for the coach’s plan. I just don’t think hiring people with no track record is a good recipe for a team who has been awful for this long. Be bold, be aggressive and be willing to spend and do whatever it takes to get the best people possible.

If the season ends in another disappointment, I would much prefer an owner who steps up to the podium after cleaning house and says “we are going to hire the most qualified candidates possible, and we will spend top dollar to do so”. I guarantee the ears of those around the league will perk up and you might actually get interest from qualified candidates and have them calling you. Instead, our owner walks up with her hands out and basically says “I don’t know what the F I am doing. Can you help me hire someone?” Then we get rookies with no track record who have failed, oddly enough.

I’m saying the Steelers have leeway to do whatever they want because they have had success dating back to the leagues inception. They are one of the most winningest teams in history. We are the opposite.

As far as Martha going to the league, it’s been stated that Acorsi or whoever it was will literally say nothing bad about any candidate. They pretty much just talk up everyone. I don’t see how that is helpful and based on the results, it wasn’t a good recommendation. Admitting you are clueless as to how to run your franchise is honorable, I guess, but I wouldn’t call it a strength of Martha’s.

This isn’t Madden.

1 Like

I’m done with and after Quinn. If these 2 can’t build a respectable team, I’m out. I just don’t have it in me for another rebuild, especially after the way this roster is constructed. I have zero thought toward the next gm or hc. Pull this together or waive bye bye.

The league is set up to where you can go from worst to first overnight. We just keep hiring the wrong people, because ownership is garbage. The term rebuild is obsolete in the NFL. It doesn’t take 5 years anymore. Instead of constantly changing coaches, coordinators and flipping the roster constantly, we should be changing out GMs until we actually find 1 that isn’t pathetic. The success will trickle down, because a good GM won’t settle for a cheap, first time, unqualified coach…

Seriously, Phan, what evidence do you have that BQ is failing? Best roster we’ve had in years (LT needs work evidently), but damn negative Nancy, give the man the season at least…