I’m starting to think new HC should be

What makes a good owner??? Some who is passionate, a la Jerry Jones (who hasn’t won shit in 25 years) or Robert Kraft (who got lucky with hiring a failure coach who drafted a 6th round QB GOAT)…from what I can tell of the 32 owners…about 28 of them seem to be business oriented. Can you even name the owner of the Cardinals? Probably not without looking it up on google. Blaming the owner is dumb, these guys they hire they have a pedigree, they wouldn’t be here without it (except Millen, that was all WCF).

Like I said already, if blaming the owner is your crutch, you don’t have a valid argument. But if it makes you feel better, so be it.

Not enough of a body of work to say that Martha is failing, IMO.

I also think Quinn is doing a fantastic job. He has to bring in dudes that fit Patricia’s style, and that is happening.

Our old ownership was atrocious. I think WCF viewed the Lions as a play toy that made money. He had fun at the stadium regardless of win or loss. Martha seems much more kickass so far. Let’s give it a chance. I definitely see Quinn as a positive, though. He’s done amazing with player acquisition. I like the dude’s comment about the Patricia Hiring. Hopefully that isn’t his downfall. It could turn out ot be a strength. We saw some evidence of Patricia and/or his OC as system guys, instead of adapting to the game though.

His mentor, BB, would have kept the petal down and beaten them by 3 or 4 TDs.

So sick of our guys losing. Very much hoping that Patricia learns from it.

Bugman, my evidence is:

Year 1 and 2 with an inherited roster and coach - 9-7 and 9-7 record.

Year 3 with HIS chosen head coach and much more of his own hand picked roster - 6-10.

Year 4 with even more of his roster and his coach. Embarrassing start against the worst team in the league.

Sure, this season COULD turn around, but I’m not putting much hope after that debacle yesterday. Again, anything short of 10-6 is a failure based on expectations set by Bob Quinn himself.

The worst team in the league is Miami…if you don’t believe me just rewatch that game if you are able to. That team may go 0-16 and they will do it to get Tua.

You said the Steelers are different from us because we hire unqualified personnel. They did too. The Rams and the Eagles are in the same boat. I could go down a list of other teams as well.

goldenlions, blaming the ownership is legit because it’s the only constant. The Ford family has been here for the entire 60 years of failure. Blaming a coach is fine, but if they have only been here a short time, it doesn’t make sense to blame them entirely. Same goes for a GM to a point.

Even Arizona has had success. Other than maybe the Browns, every single team in the NFL has had much more success than the Lions under the Ford’s. There is parity all throughout the NFL, EXCEPT for 1 city. Why is that?

If Martha is so good and made good decisions, then why does the team still blow when elsewhere, teams go from worst to first pretty much every single year?

The offseason is literally every GMs busiest season. “Hey owner, do you mind if I take your GM away from you in the middle of the most important time of the year for him? Thanks!”

Yes, teams do ask occasionally. I just don’t see which GM you think is dying to come fix the Lions if he’s already got a good gig going. The same with a HC. And if they are doing well, I can’t see why the owner would release them from their contracts to come to the Lions. Are we going to give up multiple 1st round picks like the Pats did?

So an owner physically dying is not a change in ownership?

To me that is a change in ownership and look what it has netted…nothing…

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
My point is a change in ownership doesn’t guarantee shit!

Ok wes. I get what you are saying, but its basically the chicken and egg theory. On one hand, people claim that Martha is a good owner, but on the other, she’s incapable of hiring competent people.

Again, I am not saying the season is over yet, but assuming we don’t win the division or win a playoff game, how can anyone defend this ownership? How many GMs or coaches do we have to go thru to figure out it might not be them?

If the ownership isn’t the problem and Martha is well respected throughout the league, then why wouldn’t GM’s be “dying to come fix the Lions”? I mean, all you have to do is win 1 playoff game in say 5 years and you could basically demand 20 million dollars a year and we would be putting up statues of the GM. The bar is so low, that you don’t need championships, you need 1 meaningful win in say 5 years. Who wouldn’t want terribly low expectations for top dollar? You fix the Lions and you would make Belichick look like mediocre. Yet, we keep settling for nobodies.

As far as golden saying that Ford and his wife are completely different ownership, I disagree. Same family, same philosophy, same out of touch relationship with the fan base. Always in hiding, never any accountability. I see no discernable different in the 2.

So basically you have the same intelligence, values, thoughts, lifestyle, etc. as your wife, father, mother, son, daughter???

Really?

You’ve threw out a few teams (or eluded to them) and they hired “nobodies” as well. Everybody is a nobody until they become somebody. Me personally? I HATE first time head coaches and I’d never hire one. It means I’d miss out on McVay, I get that. But there are alot of other trash coaches that I would miss out on as well. Give me a retread any day of the week.

As far as ownership, Martha is not using the same formula as her husband. Again, her husband never hired a GM that had ANY experience whatsoever in another teams front office. Not even as a low level scout. Russ had only been with the Lions. His successor had only been with the Lions. Millen had never even been in a front office before. Mayhew had never been in a front office other than the Lions. THAT was old man Ford’s great plan, with 3 out of the 4 hires being a promotion from within the ranks and the other was a TV announcer. He kept hiring guys to run the team who had no idea what a good team is supposed to be run like. On Martha’s first shot at a GM hire, she reached outside of the Lions organization twofold. Once is to get an experienced professional in Ernie Acorsi who had assisted other teams with their GM and coaching hires. The second, is actually hiring a guy that had been with another team.

We may end up with bad results, it happens. But there’s no doubt her “formula” is definitely not the same as her husband’s.

Quin iced the team last year!

What does “iced the team” mean, brother?

It’s like icing the kicker. He took away the gain that could have won the game and threw everything into turmoil!

I have no issue with Martha, or for that matter her late hubby, RIP . I just think like a smoke stained wall, you can paint over it all you want but eventually the smell and stains show thru. We need to tear down the wall (fords) and build a new wall (not trump’s wall btw).
New juju

Quinn getting pumped that Tabor ‘dropped’ to us in the second is a big swing and a miss. Other than that I think his drafts have been pretty solid

1 Like

Take it all the way, mt. Sell to a wealthy Englishman who can then relocate the team and become Europe’s first NFL franchise. At least then you’d finally get the refs throwing flags in our favor as the league tries to grow interest in a new market.

1 Like

Funk that. I just spent three months in Hong Kong. English sports fans are more obnoxious than Green Bay and Duck fans combined

I would hang myself with an extra long soccer scarf if I had to sit in a pub with a bunch of snaggly toothed loud-mouths yapping while I’m busy watching the Lions lose

1 Like

It stuns and saddens me that Matt Patricia is a terrible head coach.

His pedigree was golden.

I guess I thought close to the same about Jim Schwartz and Steve Mariucci, too though.

I am wondering what M. Ford does that is so detrimental to the team winning?
Do you want her interfering and making player decisions?

She hired a guy to manage the team and she is letting him manage the team. The guy was just as qualified as anyone else she was going to hire.
I am not a fan of Patricia either, but just firing a guy after one season really isn’t a very good way for a team to go.