I think the Lions might have something with Blough

That was fuuuuunny. lOL.
I feel like all teams approach backup QB differently. It’s a position that you can definitely choose to spend a lot of money on. I feel like it’s best to draft a guy and develop him. Some teams have backups that would b average or above starters, while other teams call someone out a local furniture store salesman to do it. I’m from the school of thought that you get a guy that can win a game or two, if need be. I also feel, if 9 goes down long-term, the season will, more than likely, be shot, anyway.

Yeah, I’ve always liked my back up to be a change of pace type guy. Driskel kind of fit that mold in a really low level way. When you have an immobile QB like Stafford who has a rocket arm, the last think you need as a back up is an immobile guy with a noodle arm.

Yes, as things stand today, whenever Stafford goes down, it’s basically over. Not that we have won anything when he was 100% healthy, but it is night and day with the talent level. I’m not saying it’s the easiest thing in the world to put a high end back up QB behind him, but we would be kidding ourselves if we think this franchise actually tried to add a viable back up over the past decade.

1 Like

completely agree. I like a backup that brings an entirely different set of problems. Mobility is not something you prep for w/Matt. I like a mobile backup as well.

1 Like

Yeah but the word is that she’s prone to poor decision-making under pressure and throws a lot of interceptions.:rofl:

1 Like

Problem with that is then you have to change your offense midstream and change midstream isn’t good for anyone on the offensive unit. It’s why Kapperdick can’t get a job as much as as being a huge idiot. No one wants a backup QB that needs an entirely different offense built around how he plays. Yes there are a few teams with QB’s like that, but those teams are few and don’t want the headache.

Jeff Garcia in 2019 has a better arm than Blough.

1 Like

Disagree and I think the Driskel experiment proved it. He was here for 5 minutes. He stepped in with little prep. He looked half way serviceable and he was never even considered a mediocre backup talent wise. Just think if we actually had a legit #2 QB with the same skill set.

As for Kaep. Whatever, we all know why he didn’t get a job. He got blackballed. Partially self inflicted. I’m over it.

1 Like

You’ve stated this as fact a couple of times here, taking a TE @ #5. Since its a fact, show the proof. Hard to believe Quinn would still take lil’ ole Hock.

No, it’s my opinion. Do I need to put that disclaimer on every post on a message board? I thought message boards were for opinions, nah?

If Quinn felt the need to reach on nearly all of his picks in 4 years and then reach on TJH at 8 and reach about 3 rounds too high for Tavai, then yes, I think it’s reasonable to assume he would have taken him 3 picks higher. He’s reached much higher on most of his picks.

Forums are sounding boards for the masses. People LOVE to nitpick and dissects the most miniscule of data. So my nitpick was it wasn’t a fact at all.

1 Like

Minny sacked Stafford 9 times in a game last year wasn’t it?
Blough probably isn’t going to be a NFL great QB but the sample size for him is pretty small against 2 pretty stout defenses.
I guess we’ll see what he can do in the games we have left.
Let’s let the kid have his chance.
Joe Cool Montana didn’t have a cannon arm either.
No, I’m not saying he’s the next Montana.

2 Likes

True. Stafford has had an entire career of being shut down against good teams. I mean his record is pretty bad against teams with a winning record, so we shouldn’t be surprised that Blough struggled against Minny.

My bigger point is, just because Blough showed a couple signs of being competent, shouldn’t keep our GM or us fans from wanting more. We shouldn’t have to settle for the 9th guy Quinn tried out and had to wait for 2 guys to get killed before he saw the field. There are better backups out there. We should always explore every avenue to improve every position on the field at all times.

Yeah, I doubt anybody wants to settle for that unless he shows that he earns it.
Nobody is absolving the brass from heir responsibilities either.
But the kid might still have something worth developing.

Eli last night had a virtually mirror image game as Bloughs thanksgiving debut. Was lighting it up in the first half finding open guys and in the second half, when Phillys defense made adjustments and their receivers dropped some balls he went cold

It happens. Even to veteran hall of fame QBs.
I’m also not saying he will be a great or even good starting QB but good grief. He came in cold to a prime time stage with less than a weeks notice and almost beat one of the leagues top defenses. Then the next week he had to play another of the leagues top defenses. I also don’t think his arm is as weak as people think. There were a few balls he really zipped. I think we are all used to watching Staffords all-cannon-all-the-time throws

Kids a third string undrafted rookie who wasn’t even in our camp. Let’s cut him some slack

2 Likes

apple don’t fall far from the tree-does it ? lol.

1 Like

This post certainly aged well.
Pretty much spot on.

See my post, I was ahead of my time.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m just used to watching Stafford every Sunday or what, but there is a pretty significant difference between Stafford’s and Blough’s arm. I think someone else also mentioned he had to put all his juice into even basic throws and I’d have to agree it appears that way to me too. I’m not even sure the dude can throw a 50yd hail mary and get it in the end zone, which is scary. I was impressed by his confidence though especially given the situation and I think he’d be a great project over the next few years. Improving his pocket presence, pass accuracy (consistency), and safety manipulation would go a long way for him to overcome his arm strength. He made some great passes in the Bears game but Marvin and Galloday have also had to bail him out on a good amount of crappy/short passes.

All in all, I thought he did a heck of a job for an undrafted rookie starting his 1st game in front of a National crowd. With some work I could see him winning maybe a onesie or twosie here or there for us down the road if Stafford got knocked out for whatever reason but that’s about it. That would require Quinntitia to get their heads out of their ass and fix the problems on defense first though…

Well I’m not defending his arm strength, or lack thereof. But his second throw in the NFL was a 75 yard TD that went over 50 yards in the air so I’m pretty sure he could throw a 50 yard Hail Mary

1 Like

That throw was ~48 yards in the air. I’m talking a 50yd hail mary from the line of scrimmage where QBs are usually at least 5-10 yards behind it when they end up letting go, plus the yardage you need to get it into a favorable spot of the end zone. Great throw either way, but I don’t think he can squeeze much more out of that through the air.