I think the Lions might have something with Blough

It does seem familiar. I think last year the Thanksgiving game ended with Stafford throwing two picks. One for a pick six. And the year before being badly outplayed by Case Effin Keenum

This thread topic aged well…lol

4 Likes

[quote=“TNutZz, post:41, topic:2789, full:true”]

He started off hot with 2 TDs in his first 2 drives. That led some people to believe he was something other than he is. He’s not. He scored 2 TDs in less than a half of a quarter. But for arguments sake, let’s just call it a half quarter. In his next 7.5 quarters, he’s led the offense to 1 TD. Yes, he chit the bed against the Bears after the hot start and he continued his stellar bed chitting skills against the Vikings. He’s the QB we deserve. But all is not lost. We will finally have a top draft pick, and I’m sure it will turn into playoff wins this time.

2 Likes

It was only his 2nd game. He did okay in the 1st one, but not so good in his 2nd, one hopes we weren’t expecting Tom Brady out there. The kid’s got quite a ways to go, but most QBs that ever played the game were the same way. No question, he’s got a lot more to learn and develop, as he is now he ain’t good enough IMHO. Doesn’t mean he won’t be better next year, it’s hard to say where his ceiling is. True, he didn’t look good today though.

1 Like

Brees also has a great coach

1 Like

I just think it’s amazing that people who always give Stafford every excuse possible are so quick to excoriate a rookie brought in cold in his first two starts.

And honestly he didn’t shit the bed any worse on turkey day than our 9 and 10 year, 27 million vet did the last two years

1 Like

As a new QB, he has the element of surprise. When he first gets out there and into his first 4 or so games, he should be able to sneak up on teams and get some cheap scores. He used this to his advantage to jump on the Bears in his first 2 drives. People got excited, like the kid had any future in the NFL. After the hot 0.5 quarters of play with 2 TDs, he has 1 TD over his next 7.5 quarters. Yes, he chit the bed.

1 Like

Sounds like you are describing Staffords last 7 quarters of playoff action… except he has no TDs.

1 Like

I’m confused. Was this a Blough thread or a Matt Stafford playoff thread. Would you like to enlighten me?

2 Likes

Blough looks like an unspectacular but serviceable backup QB to me.

The next QB the Lions draft should not be one they expect to be a backup. It should be one they expect to take Stafford’s job in a season or two, tops.

2 Likes

It’s a Lions QB thread

1 Like

Oh, okay. So if I say I’m not a fan of David Blough, its a perfectly reasonable response to talk about Kellen Moore. Awesome, thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Aside from the fact he is not currently a Lions QB, I’m sure we are all waiting on edge to hear what Kellen Moore insight you would bring to the forum

Its all good. Recently I was informed that you can’t get a pass rusher at the 5th overall pick, we would have to trade up. David Blough is doing what he can to save us some draft capital, getting us higher without a trade. Good job David, that’s very responsible of you.

Snark aside. There will almost certainly be a pass rusher available at number 5.

1 Like

You can get any position with the 5th overall pick. In fact, if we had the 5th overall pick last year, we would have taken a TE. If you want the best pass rusher in the draft, however, you need to be in the top 2 or 3. Young is that much better than the rest, in my opinion. It’s irrelevant though, since we know we will be taking Massive Headwound Harry with our pick.

There’s still a chance we can leapfrog the Giants and be in a position to draft Young. They have to win tonight though

Bengals and Phins will likely draft QBs. Redskins need a LT to protect their young QB

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the skins win a game as well and we might be drafting 3 or 4. But if Young is gone, I’m happy with Epenesa. Or if we do win a game I’m ok with Brown and getting some pressure from the middle of the DL

I like Bevell, but I didn’t see him helping matters much in this one. If I’ve got Johnson and McKissic, a new QB and a blitz happy Defense I’m facing, where were the screen passes? Where were the Angle routes by the backs over the middle to take advantage of space from the vacating LB’s? Where were the I-formations with Bo and Nauta to go at the A gaps? I saw way too many Shotgun handoffs to a big brusing back that lacks acceleration or moves.

1 Like

yes but consider the shape the lions are in with next to no defense. I’m saying Blough needs more experience, more practice, more film room study and a QB coach but he ‘could’ eventually get to where he’s a pretty decent QB even if it takes awhile a few years. right now he’s very inexperienced , nervous, has happy feet and WAS playing behind ‘our’ O-line which folds like a paper tent half the time. Blough is just raw as hell and needs all I said above , it’s not like he was some vet free agent , he’s just baby fresh in the ways of an NFL starting QB. aka, not good yet.

Maybe we should get Jay Cutler off his mom’s couch for our back-up QB…

FYI, Jay Cutler’s mom has a better arm than Blough.