I was wrong about Jared Goff

This past year i saw a list Goff an Allen an he blew Allen away no i am not saying he is better but last season he was the 2022 season Its a fact.

1 Like

I’m thankful for Jared Goff. I believe he can lead this team to a championship. He’s one of many pieces that will get it done…but he is a cornerstone.

3 Likes

Right guy for the right team at the right time. Sometimes the stars align when it comes to circumstances. I’d dare say that thus far he may end up being the PERFECT guy, not just the right one.

5 Likes

I have long thought that the QB and the HC need to play off of eachother relative to the roster. I have felt like its hard to succeed with a super fired up coach and a super fired up QB. Much the way I have felt like its hard to succeed with a super laid back coach with a laid back QB. There needs to be balance if you want to achieve at a higher level. If nothing else…the current Lions have found that balance between the QB and the HC.

2 Likes

I will add into that mix and make it a trifecta - the surprise gift that keeps on giving, the OC.

1 Like

At the start of the 2022 season I wanted Goff GONE, all we did was lose games and he certainly didn’t impress me. But man what a turn around. I’ll never say that he is better than Brady, or Rodgers , though something off is going on with A-Rod, I’ll never say that Goff is a top 2 QB. or Elite because it’s extremely rare I’ll use that label on a football player. Yet I will I have said that Goff was a top 5 this season (2022) .

That said, I am also very proud of the team because they all came together and fought as hard as they could . Swift tried, but I’m not convinced he will be around a long while. But that’s not my decision.
To me? Swift is teetering between decent and mediocre . but he tried late in the season and did pretty good, so I’ll give him that . I get the “he’s cheap and can still be useful at times.” crowd. yet it will be interesting to see how we handle him.

3 Likes

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Bounce

1 Like

He played well this year, mostly because he didn’t turn the ball over the 2nd half of the season… But I’m still left wanting more. I can’t explain it, but I still don’t trust him to go out and drive down the field to win a game. Maybe it’s shellshock, maybe it’s the ghost of Johnathan Matthew Stafford with all the late game heroics he had, maybe I’m crazy :man_shrugging:t2: he definitely earned the starting job in 2023… But I still can’t have a TO “that’s my QB” feeling about him yet.

2 Likes

That comeback stuff is highly overrated. I’ve already seen more four quarter games from Goff than I saw in a decade of Stafford. The guy making that happen in the 4th is the same one running 3 quarters of anemic offense before it. It’s not like someone else was quarterback in the first half.

1 Like

This view could hold a lot more water if it weren’t the strategy to eat clock early & let the QB win it late. If there were no such thing as an OC, a plan, etc.

Thing is, Matt was AWESOME! He wasn’t spectacular enough to beat great teams by himself, but he won a lot of games with little to no help.

Pretending that Goff’s situation is the same is literally funny.
Patricia? Really?
Caldwell who strategizes the most conservative “keep it close” plans?
Look at the OCs.

Most important man on any team is the coach…probably followed by the GM
…then the OL

comparing those scenarios is comparing a coi pond to the ocean

3 Likes

I may not be understanding this statement. Apologies in advance. To clarify you are saying the actual game plan was to eat clock most the game in the hope the QB can win late?

Under Caldwell - absolutely. Try to get the ball last. conservative defense. conservative offense.

I always felt it was actually smart, because we were SO devoid of talent under his tenure.

Keep it close& try to win at the end.

2 Likes

That seems like a terrible game plan. With Stafford, CJ, Tate, Marvin Jones, Anquan Boldin, Bell, two first round TEs over the Caldwell years, their plan should have been to try and score every time.

Not to be combative and start an argument but I doubt very highly with all those ariel weapons and a relatively weak run game their actual plan was to play conservatively and intentionally leave it up to a game winning drive. Which is usually more or less a coin flip proposition

1 Like

I always hated it too (the strategy)
The WRs you reference were there some of that period, not all.
& the “first round TEs” made me laugh. One of my happiest days as a lions fan was when we got rid of Ebron.

SO many ppl always complained because “Pad Statford”…blah blah
thing is, we were always behind. Caldwell wanted to control the ball, & we were much more effective when they took the handcuffs off of Matt.

Just my lens

2 Likes

Listed just some of the playmakers through the Caldwell era….It wasn’t the intention to say they all played together at the same time. But we can all see there was an investment in offensive weapons

I don’t think anyone disagrees that Stafford was a gunslinger. And I do think Caldwell reigned that in quite a bit. But not as a strategy to keep the score close. But rather to limit the turnovers and the extreme performance ebb and flows of Stafford

I just disagree that not scoring, or burning clock was a strategy. And a lot of those comeback wins were set up by poor play in the beginning of the game. That was part of the Stafford frustration. He would look like ass for a good chunk of a game then make a throw nearly nobody else on the planet can make.

I believe though, the comment that launched our back and forth made the point that a more steady QB without the gunslinger ups and downs may not be in the position to mount so many game winning drives - and that’s a good thing. I’d rather be comfortable winning with ten minutes left. It’s a strange feeling as a Lions fan. We all got really good at ‘Lions math’. Not just calculating the miracle we need to somehow improbably win. But thinking about what crazy shit could go wrong to improbably lose

1 Like

I xon’t think the strategy was necessarily to not score.

I think this. :wink:

1 Like

Natty nailed it and I have said this same thing in the past. The players were not on the same page as Caldwell….they wanted up-tempo in the offensive game plan and Caldwell said, and I quote him “We don’t have the personnel to run a two-minute, up-tempo style offense.”

1 Like

cuz that OL was TERRIBLE…I mean friggin’ awful.
…then there is the issue of RB “talent”.

Comparing situations of Goff & Stafford is like comparing fuji apples to Michelin tires (Please don’t tell Martha I said “Michelin” tires)

3 Likes

W/love and respect to BN and his handsomeness, I think that is a stunningly implausible take.

1 Like

LOL - so do I. It wasn’t a goal to not score…it was a goal to eat clock control.
Even though I was “paraphrased,” it’s something I never said.

1 Like