I was wrong about Jared Goff

The crow is tasty, ya’ll.

So yeah, before this dude proves me wrong again, he’s convinced me. I said I needed to see him perform outdoors in not-so-awesome conditions, and he outplayed Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau in January. That throw he made off-balance across the field to Kalif Raymond will remain one of the more difficult throws I’ve seen a QB make, especially for a guy who objectively has no cannon, which just added to the difficulty of the throw.

Yes, there’s things I don’t like. If he’s out of rhythm, it’s Ishtar-bad. He is not going to make a play out of nothing. And those are two things that will always concern me. But even the elite QBs have fatal flaws in their game, so I shouldn’t seek perfection.

At the end of the day, Goff is a top 10 quarterback. A better version of Kirk Cousins. Provided Rodgers leaves, he’s hands-down the best QB in the division. He might be the best QB in the entire conference (yeah, I ■■■■■■■ said it).

And with a full off-season of Jamo, ASB and company (and OMG if they somehow land the Texas RB) I fail to see how Goff can’t be even better.

42 Likes

I thought the dude sucked, turns out I suck.

Just keep it rolling with an Oline in front of him & we’ll get to watch some good football for some years to come

20 Likes

Takes a lot to eat crow so publicly. I’ve had to do it pretty hard with Dan. And hopefully have to do with again with AG.

But I’m sure with both of us would rather eat crow than have been right.

19 Likes

I am sure you guys are happy to be wrong. Otherwise we would be taking a qb with pick#6 and in this draft that might be qb #4

4 Likes

Goff to Nate!

6 Likes

Oh shit, I need to write my Dan thread yet, too. Pass the Frank’s.

8 Likes

I just want to add: you don’t spend a top pick on a QB when you have a top 10 QB who is under the age of 30.

20 Likes

A good amount of us had doubts, especially at 1-6. I think a huge part of his success is that Oline, but he really came thru. I’ll put that JAMO penalty throw up there with that Raymond one.

7 Likes

I have been real hard on Glenn, but will give credit to him today for the play of the defense yesterday. He had them ready to play and had some good play calling yesterday. Good Job Glenn!!
Now keep it going next year

3 Likes

In fairness MCDC had some pretty bad game day decision making skills to start - but my biggest props are how much better he got at it. No debate - the guy straight up got better. He did exactly what he asks his players to do. He deserves a ton of credit.

I’m not ready to go that crazy…. But I’m also not sure the Lions need him to be. They’re going to develop a system with the OL and surround him with playmakers and safety valves. That way if the play breaks down it’s more like “keep it short to Swift or St Brown” as opposed to “go run for a first down” like it is with other systems/QBs. I believe the offensive coaching staff is putting Goff is the best place to succeed and it’s huge for both parties.

Awesome season gents.

7 Likes

Just one more my brother Nate!

5 Likes

I’ve taken a lot of flack for saying that.

11 Likes

goff is definitely a qb that needs the right supporting cast to succeed. but when he has that cast he’s almost perfect. I mean how many games with no ints?

very few qbs can elevate an offense alone.

goff can stay here as long as he likes, provided the staff is smart enough to maintain the type of pieces he needs.

2 Likes

I think Top 10 is about right going into '23. Curious, Who would u put ahead of him?

No order:

Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Hurts

Dak?
Lawrence?
Watson?
Jackson?
Rodgers?
Fields?
Brady?
Cousins?

I might still call for a QB depending on how the pre draft process plays out but it won’t be because of Jared Goff. He has exceeded my expectations and proven me wrong. I always said that he could turn it around if he could just figure out a couple things but I didn’t hold out much hope. After last night, he’s earned my respect. Last night was not easy to do. No small feat. And the way he gutted it out and turned it around within that game was admirable.

1 Like

I was never wrong because with Goff and the staff I took what might be a chicken shit stance, but one that I thought was relative because of the lack of talent, and I simply said we needed to wait and see. By the end of last season there was hope, and now at the end of this season we have something we haven’t had forever, expectations. We have enough early draft picks and FA dough to make some serious improvements. We need to find the best secondary coach out there. I don’t happen to believe that we lose our OC, not this season anyway. His stock will only go up by staying.

3 Likes

Ben Johnson said that Goff has elevated his playcalling. BJ said that he can be more aggressive with his calls because he knows if the play is a flaming turd, Goff won’t turn it into a sack or an INT. Goff quickly realizes when a play isn’t going to work and skips it to a guys feet. No harm, no foul. On to the next play. It gives the playcaller confidence that he can call anything and it won’t come back to bite him.

10 Likes

top 10? Goff should be top 5.

6 Likes

This. By far, this was Goff’s biggest improvement this year.

Goff has always been really good at the short game, and ‘OK’ going down field. But, he would shoot himself in the foot by holding it too long and taking game killing sack-fumbles.

All QB’s are going to throw 7-11 picks per year … a few more, or a few less based on bad bounces and receivers ability. They just happen when you throw 500+ passes.

But JG really worked to eliminate the junk turnovers, and it’s elevated him and the Lions in a big way. Congratulations to him and the rest of the players and coaches that made it happen. It’s a big deal.

5 Likes

I think there’s two things that at real important here and not in any order of importance…

1. Goff definitely isn’t Mahomes, Allen or even Stafford in terms of keeping a play alive. He is a pocket qb who can beat you with a clean pocket. We can roll with Goff but we need to keep investing in OL to make sure he’s clean and he will be fine

2. he was a kid in LA. Sometimes a change of scenery helps expedite that maturing process. Listen to his teammates talk about how smart and how much a leader he is. I think he has grown greatly over the past 2 years.

3 Likes