I was wrong about Jared Goff

I am a let it play itself out kind of guy when it comes to Goff, DC or even AG. I’ve given my opinion on all accordingly. Thought the team would win 5 games……that’s where my crow comes in

2 Likes

I was goff supporter. I also no picks in what 8 games. Hes out played most qbs this year. Besides geno and Bailey

2 Likes

This is his 7th season. Matt Stafford also took a leap in year 7. Steve Young said that somewhere between years 6 and 9 is when some QBs learn “the art of playing QB.” So they aren’t just out there doing what they are told and taking what the defense gives them. They are able to see the game from a higher level, and can even manipulate the defense into things by knowing tendencies. He gave an example of a play that might not work for a year 4 QB will suddenly be a big play downfield for a 9th year guy because the 9th year guy is an artist and he realizes that if he just turns his shoulders slightly it will pull the safety away just long enough to fit the ball in to the receiver.

7 Likes

I was ready to move on from him the moment he was traded here, unfairly. After his last 2 seasons in L.A. he looked cooked, but I have to say that he started to win me over well before the 2nd half run this season. He started to win me over last season when he got battered and bruised in the first half with virtually no NFL talent surrounding him and picked himself off the mat and finished last season strong. That showed a lot of mental fortitude when a lot of other guys would have crumbled.

I still wasn’t completely sold on him to start this season but the close to last season was really encouraging and I figured that he’d get better as the supporting cast grew. He then started off strong this season, again without a group that wasn’t at full strength (Chark in and out of the lineup, Swift in and out, Jamo out), hit a bit of a dip at the midway point as the injuries worsened (the New England and Dallas games he was down to mostly practice squad guys and Hock) then he played like an elite QB in the second half of the season and capped it off with big boy throws in the clutch of the final game against the hated Packers. Not to mention, him growing into one of the real leaders of this team.
Also, he had one turnover in the final 8? games. ONE folks, and it might have been more Ragnow’s fault than his.

I don’t expect him to be Mahomes or Allen going forward but I’m 100% in on him being a guy this team can win with and scratching QB off the needs list, although I think a developmental guy is a necessity as opposed to the journeymen they’ve had for… forever.

5 Likes

I’ve been lumping him somewhere in the second quartile for most of the year.

Firmly behind the best quarterbacks; Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Hurts, Rodgers, Lawrence. Solidly in the next group that includes Prescott, Cousins, Tagovaialoa, Jackson, Watson, Stafford, Brady, Murray.

Right now I would put him at the very top of that group, but more likely he is a few spots lower once guys get healthy. So yeah, right around #10 which is great.

2 Likes

I’m the dickhead of the group. I’m not bashful about it. Especially when people refuse to listen to common sense.
Goff never ceased to be elite. The teams around were not good enough.
Some of you can move the bar all year, and thats fine. You do you.
Goff is a top 10 QB in this league. I knew it. I don’t apologize.

5 Likes

Watching Prescott yesterday you can give me Goff all day long. Prescott is not in the same group as Goff IMHO

4 Likes

Prescott is a lot like cousins in that they are both stat monsters against mediocre competition and in come backs. When the spotlight is on they tend to get smaller.

2 Likes

He is one of those QB’s that is athletic but has absolutely no game smarts. He can’t read defenses and sure doesn’t progress through his reads. Yesterday’s game was a microism of his whole year.
Some really bad throws

1 Like

Goff was a top 10 QB this season. He totally proved me wrong.

I didn’t think he had it in him to have the production and discipline throwing the ball that he had really all year. And man am I glad to be wrong.

If a Goff extension were to happen I wouldn’t be mad at it.

4 Likes

Right now not only is Goff better, he is the best of that entire group. This is Prescott’s worst year. I would take Goff without reservation going into next season, but Prescott has been better than Goff in the past.

If we skinny that group down a little though; Goff, Watson, Stafford, Jackson, you have four guys with distinct skillsets and flaws. Could make the case for any, and could make the case to reject any.

4 Likes

Someone on a show mentioned that there is an “Out” this year on Goff contract. Anyone know what that is, and what is his overall contract status?

That wasn’t chicken shit because that was my stance. LOL

It was simply acknowledging that Goff was always going to get a 2 year trial run from the minute we got him in The Trade because of his contract structure. It has worked out as well as could be expected. Turns out McVay didn’t crush the spirit out of Goff, and who other than McVay knew that a 26 year old QB could reset and improve? Brad did.

3 Likes

Jared Goff is a top 10 QB. Outside the top 5 and inside the top 10. If you made me make a list of top 10 QBs, based on a couple different factors (current ranking, franchise QBs moving forward, etc) mine would go like this

Burrow
Allen
Mahomes
Herbert
Hurts
Lawrence
Goff
Stafford

Man it’s just too hard after this to continue. I like Tua but his head injuries concern me too much. But the rest of the league is gross IMO. Wouldn’t take Watson, Lamar, Murray, or Fields if you gave them to me. It might be the worst QB depth in my short time watching the NFL.

But Goff firmly sits just outside those top 6 who are young and have Elite Potential. He gets the nod over Stafford due to age and injury concerns for me. I’m still standing by the stance that he’s not worth the money he’s going to get. I do have to eat crow on his ranking and say that he’s better than I ever gave him credit for. I’m still not extending him though, but very happy to call him my QB for the next two years.

We are a new Detroit Lions. This franchise has got over the hump. Now let’s go win some important games and become the king of the NFC north :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

No INTS over the past 9 games? After going 2-6? a season long 27-7 TD/INT ratio? a 99.3 rating season long?

He might not be a guy who will “wow” you with crazy throws, but he’s developed a ruthless efficiency that can just kill opposing teams. I’ll take it and join the crow dinner club.

6 Likes

While I agree with you, I think objectively most or all other teams would choose Rodgers or Stafford over Goff. Watson is elite skill level. Someone is going to pay Jackson $250M.

I probably wouldn’t trade Goff for any of those guys because I’m an emotionally invested idiot. Unemotionally though, if I wanted to open a two year championship window with the current Lion roster, assuming health and desire I would take Stafford, Rodgers, and probably Watson too.

1 Like

He ended the season at 29-7 for his TD/INT ratio. And that’s while having a TD vulture on the team (Jamaal). He also threw for nearly 4,500 yards. He threw for 65% despite throwing the ball into the dirt intentionally several times every game to get us out of a bad play.

4 Likes

I’m taking Stafford over Goff too for 1 year. But my list was based on moving forward as a franchise. Not just 2023 QB rankings. I’m taking Stafford over Lawrence also if that’s was the case.

that’s pretty much how i see it, though i’d put Burrow third and Lawrence ahead of Hurts. Goff/Hurts/Dak are all pretty even. Next year, Pickett may be in the conversation too. Agree that Lamar, Murray, Fields and Watson are below this tier.

He proved many of us wrong. He still goes down too easy, but our OL is perfect for him.

Goff was the main reason that turnaround happened. He’s the guy next year and hopefully beyond.

4 Likes