If Goff is your guy, when do you extend him?

He is.
Before the season starts.

Problem is he’s going to be very expensive coming off winning the Super Bowl MVP.

3 Likes

I say wait and see how he plays when Ben Johnson isn’t his coordinator. Which is likely the 24 season. You can always franchise him if you need to.

2 Likes

We will sign most to 2 year CAKs. When we win the SB next year. Our players will be signed.

I love the logic train when it comes to Goff. The guy can’t just be a good QB. There is always something else he has to do first. Now that he’s played well, we have to see it again. And if we see it again, we have to see it without Ben Johnson. And if we see it without Ben Johnson, we have to see it again to be sure that wasn’t a fluke either.

3 Likes

Check This Out GIF

1 Like

:laughing::rofl::laughing::rofl::laughing::rofl::laughing::rofl: History is what the media has convinced me it is!
The fact is, he’s had one poor season by Lions standards…as a Lion. At the beginning of the rebuild Stafford wanted no part of.
Feel free to rewrite history to your liking, though.
Kicking the can down the road won’t help you save face. It just makes you look belligerent longer.

I see no reason to believe that ANY QB in the 2023 draft will have a career as good as the one Goff has currently had. We have our QB. Sure, we want a solid back up QB. Draft accordingly. Solid back up that MAY work themselves up to a starter one day. Those are the guys you pick up in 3rd round or later.

We have such a HUGE talent deficit on defense.

Look at it this way. Most of our 2022 offense was 1st round 2nd round picks (Goff, Jamo, Decker, Sewell, Rags, Swift. Chark). Most of our 2022 defense were 3rd and lower picks. With those numbers you would expect a great offense and terrible defense, which is what we ended up with. If we keep Chark, that makes 7 starters on offense of 1st and 2nd round. If we use 3 of our first 4 picks on defense AND Levi/Harris come back 100% and we resign Chark, we would have 8 players on offense and 7 players on defense that were 1st and 2nd rounders (I’m not counting on Brockers being on the team in 2023). That is a more balanced unit capable of not only winning the NFC North, but actually going somewhere in the playoffs.

3 Likes

So by that logic you think Seattle should give Geno Smith $40M+ a year right?

3 Likes

He’s literally played 2 seasons as a Lion. Not like we’re looking at a long track record here.

I have literally publicly admitted Goff is a top 10 QB and that I couldn’t have been more wrong about him. I was probably his biggest hater when he got traded here and he proved me wrong.

1 Like

Hello! He eas a Pro STARTING QB in LA. Played in the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl twice, went to the playoffs 3 times.
That counts as part of his record!
As for the rest of your post, if you dog him everytime his name is mentioned, your fixation is not based in reality.
Stop!

1 Like

That isn’t what he implied and you know it. Nor are Geno and Goff even remotely comparable in terms of their career histories and trajectories.

2 Likes

I don’t care what he did anywhere else. How many free agents have the Lions signed that have had success somewhere else and then flopped here? Same concept, except we traded for him. I want to see him do it here.

I don’t “dog him everytime his name is mentioned” anymore. I used to, before he showed me and everyone else here that he could lead this team to wins.

He’s a good quarterback. He showed everyone that.

Now I do remember that you were on the Goff train this whole time. Just because you ended up being right doesn’t mean you need to talk down on people who weren’t anytime it comes up in conversation.

So let’s see. With their current teams, Geno and Goff both have one good season and have some bad thrown in there too. Again, I don’t care about what Goff did in LA when it comes to extending him. Plenty of teams give out massive contracts to guys who performed elsewhere and then it blows up in their face when they start playing for the new team. I don’t want that to be us with Goff.

It really looks like Goff is going to have another good season here, especially with Ben coming back. That’s great. He should be expected to. I just don’t want to hand out a massive $40M APY contract based off of one year of in house production.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Bare with him. Geno Smith has had a highly successful NFL career by OSU standards. :rofl:

1 Like

“One of these things is not like the otherrrr…”

4 Likes

Why can’t it be my opinion that if we’re talking about an extension to a player’s contract, then we should be basing it on multiple years of successful play with our team? Again I don’t care what he did somewhere else when it comes to an extension on his contract.

The Broncos gave Russell Wilson a 5 year $221M or something extension before he played a snap for them basing it on production with another team. How’d that work out?

Even the Rams extended Goff and then regretted it. He’s clearly a better player now than he was after the Super Bowl run for them, but he was also really good back during that Super Bowl run and then regressed. We don’t know if he’s going to regress here too. It’s unlikely, but since he has 2 more years on his deal (I’m pretty sure), why extend him now?

Again just my personal opinion. If they extended him today I’d understand it and support the move because I trust our front office.

2 Likes

What’s funny is Goff only has two losing seasons in his entire football career. The guy is a winner and always has been. Sean McVay loses and its Goff’s fault, Goff wins it’s because of the coaches. McVay just had a losing season, it’s because of injuries. Goff has a losing season last year with most the WR’s out along with the O-line and he “sucks because he can’t win.”

The only reason anyone doubts him at all is because McVay says so. The statistics and record say the exact opposite. Goff has been good/great on numerous teams with numerous coaches starting in high school, through college and then the NFL. The guy is a winner.

3 Likes

Everybody is free to express their opinion, that’s what message boards are for. And others are free to laugh at you.

But let’s be clear. Your opinion is that you don’t like Goff and want him replaced. Everything else is just backing into whatever argument you need to make at the time, which is what I find funny when people post it. At some point you might join the “we need to use a 1st round pick on a QB in case Goff gets hurt” shenanigans!

basket laundry GIF

1 Like

Hmm…

Yep that really says “I don’t like Goff and I want him to be replaced”.

I don’t want him to be replaced. Like Brad said, it’s a lot easier to get worse than Jared Goff to get better than Jared Goff.

I don’t even know if I would take Bryce Young in the mythical scenario where he’s on the board for us, and I think he’s going to be a superstar.

3 Likes